I have a dumb question that involves a CM 212 Evo and sanding.

mr fobs

I have an old Cooler Master 212 EVO from like 2013. The design has not changed at all. My question is about the copper tubes poking out the top. I have it in a new mATX build I just did and it is ever so slightly pushing against the side panel. I am wondering if I am able to sand the heat pipes, and if  so, how far until I ruin them? If this is extra dumb just yell at me.

Inkedc_LI.jpg

Sorry I probably edited my post. Refresh plz. Build Specs Below.

System

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5900x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F
  • RAM
    32 GB (2X8) Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CAS 16
  • GPU
    ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3070
  • Case
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
  • Storage
    Sabrent 1 TB TLC PCI 4.0 NVMe M.2
  • PSU
    NZXT C850 Gold PSU
  • Display(s)
    MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34" UWQHD
  • Cooling
    Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT 240mm
  • Operating System
    Windows 11

1 minute ago, mr fobs said:

I have an old Cooler Master 212 EVO from like 2013. The design has not changed at all. My question is about the copper tubes poking out the top. I have it in a new mATX build I just did and it is ever so slightly pushing against the side panel. I am wondering if I am able to sand the heat pipes, and if  so, how far until I ruin them? If this is extra dumb just yell at me.

This is probably not feasible, but I shan't shout at you since you asked first 😉 

They are hollow and rely on being sealed, so if they are punctured, the effectiveness of the cooler will tank.

Bending them is "probably" safer than sanding, but it all depends on how badly it touches the side panel.

1 minute ago, For Science! said:

They are hollow and rely on being sealed, so if they are punctured, the effectiveness of the cooler will tank.

I was wondering if the ends are solid after being clamped in the factory? They just just enough that the side panel will pop open if bumped, but no enough to visibly bend the side panel out where they touch. It would have to me less than 1 mm of sanding/bending

System

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5900x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F
  • RAM
  • GPU
    ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3070
  • Case
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
  • Storage
  • PSU
    NZXT C850 Gold PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Operating System
    Windows 11

Keep in mind also that heatpipes have a lifespan and that a cooler from that long ago may still have working heatpipes but its kinda nearing the age where thwy dont work as well as they did when new so simply replacing the cooler anyway isnt a bad idea

1 minute ago, emosun said:

Keep in mind also that heatpipes have a lifespan and that a cooler from that long ago may still have working heatpipes but its kinda nearing the age where thwy dont work as well as they did when new so simply replacing the cooler anyway isnt a bad idea

Well I used it in a small build I didn't want to spend any money on.. This cooler was only used for a few days back in 2014 and its been in storage ever since. So my options are this or intel stock cooler and this has my idle 10400 at 30C according to the BIOS. I haven't checked HWinfo yet.

System

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5900x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F
  • RAM
  • GPU
    ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3070
  • Case
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
  • Storage
  • PSU
    NZXT C850 Gold PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Operating System
    Windows 11

3 minutes ago, mr fobs said:

I was wondering if the ends are solid after being clamped in the factory? They just just enough that the side panel will pop open if bumped, but no enough to visibly bend the side panel out where they touch. It would have to me less than 1 mm of sanding/bending

I would still prefer bending, or sand down the side panel 😛 I guess you can give it a try if you're willing to replace it if it  all goes wrong 

4 minutes ago, For Science! said:

I would still prefer bending, or sand down the side panel 😛 I guess you can give it a try if you're willing to replace it if it  all goes wrong 

There is above 3-4mm of metal between it and the inner chamber at the tip as I've weirdly enough gotten 3 hyper 212's that got sanded in over the years.

I can't imagine the torque you'd put on the structure to get those small nubs bent, how would you stabilize and hold the cooler and what would you use to bend?  Pliers won't work it doesn't look like, not enough to grab and not enough metal to bend properly.

Since you have the stock cooler as backup, I'd sand these down and see.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh C / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

Here's the build if you were curious. I only bought the case, motherboard and CPU. Everything else was stuff i already had. I needed to update my Plex server.

IMG_0987.jpeg

IMG_0988.jpeg

System

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5900x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F
  • RAM
  • GPU
    ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3070
  • Case
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
  • Storage
  • PSU
    NZXT C850 Gold PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Operating System
    Windows 11

17 minutes ago, emosun said:

Keep in mind also that heatpipes have a lifespan and that a cooler from that long ago may still have working heatpipes but its kinda nearing the age

Yeah gonna need your sources on that. Heatpipe degradation and cooling efficiency loss is not something a consumer level computer hardware user needs to worry about (Other than environmental issues like dust build up and also thermal paste). If that was the case, cooler master would have never sold socket upgrade brackets even for coolers made in 2007 (the year 212 was released) to be used in 2021 OR kept using the same mounting mechanism while keeping older units relevant.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

10 minutes ago, mr fobs said:

Here's the build if you were curious. I only bought the case, motherboard and CPU. Everything else was stuff i already had. I needed to update my Plex server.

IMG_0987.jpeg

IMG_0988.jpeg

That is totally fine just leave it be.

BAD idea.....

You'll destroy the integrity of the tube.

even if it's a 10 year old design, still a good design.

Mine was from the same era, and it is still good.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

I think I am going to leave it for now, thanks guys for your replies!

System

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5900x
  • Motherboard
    ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F
  • RAM
  • GPU
    ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3070
  • Case
    Corsair 4000D Airflow
  • Storage
  • PSU
    NZXT C850 Gold PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Operating System
    Windows 11

8 hours ago, Levent said:

Yeah gonna need your sources on that. Heatpipe degradation and cooling efficiency loss is not something a consumer level computer hardware user needs to worry about (Other than environmental issues like dust build up and also thermal paste). If that was the case, cooler master would have never sold socket upgrade brackets even for coolers made in 2007 (the year 212 was released) to be used in 2021 OR kept using the same mounting mechanism while keeping older units relevant.

Yeah gonna need your sources on heatpipes lasting literally forever.

Or is "I saw a bracket" your source

Perhaps a link to a heatsink from the jurassic period would help me out

29 minutes ago, emosun said:

Yeah gonna need your sources on heatpipes lasting literally forever.

Or is "I saw a bracket" your source

Perhaps a link to a heatsink from the jurassic period would help me out

lol Nothing lasts forever.... 

But a heat pipe will remain good as long as it's never punctured.

Typically they are under a vacuum and have a small bit of moisture (water) which is acting as a heat exchanger. The water heats up and boils, vapors to the top of the pipes and cools. Then condensates and drips back down.

A couple of reasons a lot of these coolers don't work well is because of the orientation. They are better suited for standing up, vs hanging sideways off the board. Another reason, like the Hyper 212 in this case is the lack of heatpipes and low fin density. 

Got one brand new in the box right here. I imagine it'll never ever be used for anything..... 

@emosun @ShrimpBrime https://celsiainc.com/heat-sink-blog/heat-pipe-design-guide/

Their typical lifespan is at least 20 years and can go through thousands of freeze-thaw cycles without damage. Heat pipe failure is most likely to occur A) due to poor manufacturing processes and B) as a result of exposure to unplanned conditions: corrosive substances and unintended physical damage are the most common.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

On 10/20/2021 at 6:16 PM, WoodenMarker said:

ah good then nothing i typed was wrong , glad thats been cleared up