Laptop "Battle Station" help

Go to solution Solved by jaslion,

So a lenovo legion 5 (pro) with a 5800h and rtx 3070 (it can handle a 3080 in the 15 inch version but it does get quite hot). Honestly the 3060 version will also work just fine and is like 1100$ ish for the 5800h 16gb ram 512-1tb storage option. Ram and storage is upgradeable.

If you want something with a factory color calibrated screen get the asus g15 2021 version NOT THE 2020 version. But that one is limited to a rtx 3070 for effective cooling. The legion 5 series also has a really good screen but the g15 has the advantage of it being factory colour calibrated.

The g15 with identical specs is slower as it is more focused on silent running whilst the legion 5 is about letting it rip but isn't too loud either and has a nice fan noise. Configurable too in the legion series.

For your laptops:

Razer TERRIBLE quality be lucky if it even lasts 2 years

Gs66 overheats like a lot you will lose a lot of performance in that furnace

Zenbook older and by far not worth the money

Gigabyte one is a office laptop

All are worse to far worse than the 2 I suggested.

Good Morning all,

I am looking to purchase a laptop to be the windows half of my workstation/battlestation set up. This laptop will be used primarily CAD, Video and Photo rendering along with mid range gaming. I'm running a 16" Intel Macbook Pro as my Mac half of the set up running the mac specific programs (likely upgrade to new M1 Pro/Max model in a few months for neural engine upgrades). I've listed the specs i'm looking for below, any ideas you have of what might be a good fit is appreciated!

Thanks

CPU: 8 Core/16 thread minimum, 10 core optimal but in my search hard to find currently

GPU: Non integrated, at least 6gb Vram, 8gb+ preferred (external GPU will not be used so stronger is better if possible)

RAM:16gb+

Storage: 512gb minimum SSD

Screen size: 14"-17" maximum, 15"-16" is sweet spot for my workspace

IO: USB-C or Thunderbolt x1, RJ45 x1 are preferred, anything else can be worked around

Price: Lower is better obviously: $1500-$2500

Let me know if you want any more info!

So a lenovo legion 5 (pro) with a 5800h and rtx 3070 (it can handle a 3080 in the 15 inch version but it does get quite hot). Honestly the 3060 version will also work just fine and is like 1100$ ish for the 5800h 16gb ram 512-1tb storage option. Ram and storage is upgradeable.

If you want something with a factory color calibrated screen get the asus g15 2021 version NOT THE 2020 version. But that one is limited to a rtx 3070 for effective cooling. The legion 5 series also has a really good screen but the g15 has the advantage of it being factory colour calibrated.

The g15 with identical specs is slower as it is more focused on silent running whilst the legion 5 is about letting it rip but isn't too loud either and has a nice fan noise. Configurable too in the legion series.

For your laptops:

Razer TERRIBLE quality be lucky if it even lasts 2 years

Gs66 overheats like a lot you will lose a lot of performance in that furnace

Zenbook older and by far not worth the money

Gigabyte one is a office laptop

All are worse to far worse than the 2 I suggested.

Did some digging, The legion 5 Pro doesn't seem to be available anymore, i did find the Legion Slim 7 Gen 6 AMD, which i think will work perfectly and not break the bank. Thank you for your help!

3 hours ago, Catwalk_Tech said:

Did some digging, The legion 5 Pro doesn't seem to be available anymore, i did find the Legion Slim 7 Gen 6 AMD, which i think will work perfectly and not break the bank. Thank you for your help!

Legion 5 pro has only recently launched and is harder to find. Legion 7 slim runs on the edge of being able to cool itself and not being able to cool itself.

Get a normal legion 5 or normal legion 7 avoid the slim it's not even that slim of a device.

I do not recommend you get the slim. Better of getting a g15 then.