Pixel 6, Pixel 6 Pro India Launch Not in Plans, Google Confirms

Rohith_Kumar_Sp

Pixel 6 series is, however, coming to markets including Australia, Canada, the UK, and the US.

A Google spokesperson told Gadgets 360 that the Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro were not coming to India because of many factors.

“Due to a variety of factors including global demand supply issues, we are not able to make our products available in all markets. We remain committed to our current Pixel phones and look forward to bringing future Pixel devices to more countries in the future,” the spokesperson said in an emailed statement.

This is notably not the first time when Google has decided to not bring its new Pixel phones to India. In fact, the company has not launched any of its recent flagships in the country. These include the Pixel 4, Pixel 4 XL, Pixel 4a 5G, and the Pixel 5.

google_pixel_6_image_2_1634717738572.jpg

And nothing of value was lost, pixel phones are horribly priced in India, non existent customer support, less than desirable stock android, which won't even let you switch multitask and back buttons, seriously, can we talk about how stupid it is that back button the one button you use the most is on the left side of the phone on stock android, if you are right handed which most people are physically have to move your thumb all the way over to the left side while awkwardly holding the phone every single time, options to switch existed but Google even removed this functionality from AOSP entirely starting from Android 10 might i add.

source https://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news/pixel-6-pro-india-launch-availability-plans-google-2581674

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

1 minute ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

seriously, can we talk about how stupid it is that back button the one button you use the most is on the left side of the phone on stock android, if you are right handed which most people are physically have to move your thumb all the way over to the left side while awkwardly holding the phone every single time

That's how I have it set on my phone. Never been an issue for me. I find it more comfortable than scrunching my thumb up to try and reach the bottom right corner. 

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

6 minutes ago, Spotty said:

That's how I have it set on my phone. Never been an issue for me. I find it more comfortable than scrunching my thumb up to try and reach the bottom right corner. 

the fact you can't change it to what ever you want makes it worse.

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

2 minutes ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

Pixel 6 series is, however, coming to markets including Australia, Canada, the UK, and the US.

A Google spokesperson told Gadgets 360 that the Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro were not coming to India because of many factors.

This is notably not the first time when Google has decided to not bring its new Pixel phones to India. In fact, the company has not launched any of its recent flagships in the country. These include the Pixel 4, Pixel 4 XL, Pixel 4a 5G, and the Pixel 5.

And nothing of value was lost, pixel phones are horribly priced in India, non existent customer support, less than desirable stock android, which won't even let you switch multitask and back buttons, seriously, can we talk about how stupid it is that back button the one button you use the most is on the left side of the phone on stock android, if you are right handed which most people are physically have to move your thumb all the way over to the left side while awkwardly holding the phone every single time, options to switch existed but Google even removed this functionality from AOSP entirely starting from Android 10 might i add.

source https://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news/pixel-6-pro-india-launch-availability-plans-google-2581674

The phones themselves are fine... and you know you can use the gesture-driven interface, right? Or you could just hold the phone two-handed when that's an option. Which you probably will when the smallest Pixel 6 has a 6.4-inch screen.

The issue instead is that a combination of Indian politics (IIRC, devices not made in India carry punitive costs) and a lack of commitment on Google's part. Apple makes some iPhones in India precisely to get around the cost hikes. And I suspect Google is hesitant to build a factory to produce low-volume phones, even including the Pixel 4a.

40 minutes ago, Commodus said:

Apple makes some iPhones in India precisely to get around the cost hikes. 

this isn't even remotely true here 

Apple is just trying to use cheap labor to gain more profits if anything else, iPhones in India are as expensive as it was the day they started to sell here, Apple double speaking on how it will be cheaper if it's produced in Indian and asking the govt giving concessions is just word play 

Arrests as Indian workers ransack iPhone plant over wages

Workers damage iPhone manufacturing plant near Bengaluru over salary issues

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

39 minutes ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

Apple is just trying to use cheap labor to gain more profits if anything else, iPhones in India are as expensive as it was the day they started to sell here, Apple double speaking on how it will be cheaper if it's produced in Indian and asking the govt giving concessions is just word play 

This is because Apple don't make mainline iPhones in India - only the SE line is produced there.

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/08/24/iphone-se-assembled-in-india/

https://news.abplive.com/technology/gadgets/here-s-why-apple-iphone-13-series-smartphones-are-so-expensive-in-india-1482853

This fact is reflected in its price:

SE 2 price in India: ₹39,900 = $533.

SE 2 price in the US: $400.

But the Indian price includes sales tax, while the US price does not. If you remove the (~28%) sales tax from the Indian price you get a price of - you guessed it - $400. Apple is selling the phone for the same price in both countries - the Indian government is just milking its populace more.

So everything in that discussion is complete bs. The iPhone 12 etc. are still expensive because of the import taxes. You can also see this in Samsung's lineup - which are also manufactured in India - and therefore do not see as steep prices.

CPU: i7 4790k, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

1 hour ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

Only models they make in India will get tax benefits. They dont make the newest models because of lack of supply chain infrastructure. And it takes a long time to get that sorted properly. SE and iPhone 11 gets manufactured in India and that is reflected in the price

Lol, what. Wow, you seem so out of touch with any of how anything works

First of, Apple gives sub contract to companies like pegatron, wistron and foxconn to make devices. So all the worker related issues are wistron's fault. In fact, iirc the iPhone 12 was supposed to be made in India but because of these issues it got delayed. And Wistron was also placed under probation after this.

Second, the supply chain infrastructure in india is abysmal. Part manufacturing plants are non existent. Most of the components needs to be imported from China, who India has a beef with (get it, beef 🤣).

All this make in india nonsense will always be nonsense as long as it doesn't even remotely make any sense. The only way you can convince a for profit company to pour billions and billions of dollars into a country is if you prove them that there's a good ROI. And the import taxes makes sure that the companies can't really figure out the market potential. It's an outdated protectionist policy that literally does no good to anyone. This is also why Tesla has hesitated to get into Indian markets because Model 3 and Model Y would wind up costing as much as S and X overseas.

And all of these reasons are why Google isn't launching the Pixel in India. 

1 hour ago, tim0901 said:

If you remove the (~28%) sales tax from the Indian price

Holy smokes this is a good chunk more than the worst EU VAT rates, I thought it can't get any worse than that. doubleju TF, this is crazy.

28% sounds bad but really depends many factors. If your country has a huge chunk of "informal jobs" you end up with very little in income tax.

Thats shortfall can only be made up by taxing consumption or levering hefty fees on every government interaction.

Pretty much regardless of how high or low the part of the GDP going through the government is.

2 hours ago, tim0901 said:

SE 2 price in India: ₹39,900 = $533.

SE 2 price in the US: $400.

there are flaship phones that are better than iphone Se 2 for the same price, stating the cheapest phone with a subscription is not something to brag about, the Se2 phone from India is not unlocked one.

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

2 minutes ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

there are flaship phones that are better than iphone Se 2 for the same price, stating the cheapest phone with a subscription is not something to brag about, the Se2 phone from India is not unlocked one.

How is this phone locked or subscribed? It's a completely regular SE2020 with which you can do what the fuck you want!

And 400$ is not a bad deal for this phone at all. All that comes on top is taxes which please complain to your gov about.

Everyone already very clearly explained matters to you here (see below) and yet you come at it over and over again with the same nonsense story. Go complain to your braindead India-First government about ridiculous amounts of VAT and import "luxury" tariffs.

19 minutes ago, Rohith_Kumar_Sp said:

Neither of those prices are with a subscription or anything. Both are unlocked, sim-free prices directly from Apple.

CPU: i7 4790k, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB