I need a recomendation for a 27"+ monitor that doesn't cause eye strain.

DataEricith
I'm looking for a monitor, that doesn't cause eye strain. I've tried two monitors so far the Dell S2721DGF and the MSI Optix MAG274QRF. Both monitors cause really bad eye strain for me, especially when viewing anything in white. Previously I had AOC e2450Swd that never seemed to cause any eye strain. I'm powering these with a Lenovo 82KT00AMUS laptop (IdeaPad 3 14 with a AMD ryzen 5500U, and 12GB of ram) over HDMI.

Monitor Wish list
---------------------------
  • Price: $400 or less
  • Important qualities: No eye strain.
  • Usage: Programming, general web usage, office work, and the rare first first person shooter.
  • Size: 27" or larger
  • Resolution: 1440p or higher.
  • Refresh rate: 75-144hz (higher is fine, but I'm limited to 144hz by hdmi.)
TLDR;
Please recommend a 27"+ monitor, under $400, that doesn't cause eye strain.

I'm also open general room/desk lighting suggestions.

Eyestrain caused by multiple factors, having the screen at full brightness can cause eye fatigue.

If you stare the screen for a long time without blinking you can get dry eyes.

If you're room are dimly lit, can also cause it.

I have yet to see any monitors that list no eye strain in their specs. So goodluck finding one.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Eyestrain is more specific to the user than anything else.  Even the magnification / scaling setting can affect eyestrain.  So can the fonts being read.  The panel resolution.  Panel type (IPS/VA/TN).  And of course, refresh rates.

There's a LOT of variables and each user has a different feel for what comfort is.  So there's virtually no way to "proof" this purchase without you yourself testing.

27 minutes ago, DataEricith said:
I'm looking for a monitor, that doesn't cause eye strain. I've tried two monitors so far the Dell S2721DGF and the MSI Optix MAG274QRF. Both monitors cause really bad eye strain for me, especially when viewing anything in white. Previously I had AOC e2450Swd that never seemed to cause any eye strain. I'm powering these with a Lenovo 82KT00AMUS laptop (IdeaPad 3 14 with a AMD ryzen 5500U, and 12GB of ram) over HDMI.

Monitor Wish list
---------------------------
  • Price: $400 or less
  • Important qualities: No eye strain.
  • Usage: Programming, general web usage, office work, and the rare first first person shooter.
  • Size: 27" or larger
  • Resolution: 1440p or higher.
  • Refresh rate: 75-144hz (higher is fine, but I'm limited to 144hz by hdmi.)
TLDR;
Please recommend a 27"+ monitor, under $400, that doesn't cause eye strain.

I'm also open general room/desk lighting suggestions.

best i could find (in terms of the monitors i have used in the past)

https://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-VX2768-2KP-MHD-Frameless-FreeSync-DisplayPort/dp/B08ND5PHND/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=viewsonic+VX3258-PC-MHD&qid=1634674107&sr=8-2

There are 3 main factors to eye strain:

- monitor brightness (the lower you go the less it will stress your eyes)

- flickering (just look for a flicker-free backlight on a monitor)

- color temperature (specifically warmer colors are less straining)

Most monitors nowadays are flicker-free and have adjustable brightness and color temperatures. So basically any half-decent modern monitor will offer all features you'd need to reduce eye strain. A higher resolution (sharper text) will also help a bit.

I personally always calibrate my monitors to a 6500K color temperature and 150 nits of brightness. Plus i don't use any type of backlight strobing on my displays. This way i don't have any eye strain problems no matter how long or at what time of day i use my displays.

Normally i'd recommend the Gigabyte M27Q, but it has slightly worse text clarity than other monitors it competes with, so for your case i'd recommend the LG 27GL850 or 27GN850. They're pretty much identical so go for whatever is cheaper.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.