Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Need advice upgrading GPU

Go to solution Solved by Jonathan Lee,

For a 4 year GPU, I would go for RX 6900XT. Mainly for VRAM, seems like games been getting up in vram usage recently.

For reference, I think the 1080TI is still a good 1080p/1440p card today and that's about 4 years.

Based on your game selection though, you probably be good with 6800XT or 3070TI for 4 years.

For today, 3060TI/6700XT would probably be plenty though.

Hi, everyone!

Last year I built my new PC and bought a Ryzen 5900X and 32GB (2x16GB) of RAM but didn't buy any GPU for obvious reasons.

Now, almost a year ago, after saving a lot and using my old GPU in the mean time, I found a few options and I would like to know what do you recommend (6900XT is a bit cheaper but not a lot):

- MSI AMD RX 6900 XT Gaming Z Trio.

- Palit Nvidia RTX 3080 TI Gaming Pro LHR.

- MSI Nvidia RTX 3080 TI Gaming Z Trio LHR

For more information, I play at 1080p 144Hz (High - Ultra High) and when I thought about this build almost a year ago, the idea was to make it the more future prof posible. I don't intend to upgrade to 1440p nor 4K and want to last i the longest posible (3 to 4 years, at least).

I play strategy, RPG and MMORPGs games such as Cities Skylines, Civ V and VI, HoI4, New World, WoW, AoE2DE, DOS2, Pillars of Eternity, DS, DS3 and the only FPS I play are CoD Warzone and CoD: Black Ops 3 to play with friends.

So, after all my rambling, what would you choose and why to last the most time being able to play at 1080p 144Hz at High or similar?

I don't care for Ray Tracing. Just better value (even thought of a 6800XT but the price is pretty close to the 6900XT in my country).

Thanks for reading.

I think paying for 6900xt or 3080 is a waste for non FPS games.

Ryzen 3600 @ 4.5ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | Radeon RX580 | 2x Samsung 16gb c-die 2666 @ 3600mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 9 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

imho, a 3060 ti will handle that stuff at 1080p and those settings.

Ok! I'll look for reviews for that card.

Thanks a lot!

For a 4 year GPU, I would go for RX 6900XT. Mainly for VRAM, seems like games been getting up in vram usage recently.

For reference, I think the 1080TI is still a good 1080p/1440p card today and that's about 4 years.

Based on your game selection though, you probably be good with 6800XT or 3070TI for 4 years.

Edited by Jonathan Lee
Didn't take into account game selection

2 hours ago, Jonathan Lee said:

Thanks a lot!