What to upgrade?

OverrRyde

Budget (including currency): n/a

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: streaming (OBS), FPS games

Hi everyone,

i am looking to get some advice on what i should upgrade in order to make my performance better, or if i should even bother.

I currently have the following system/specs:

B450 Gaming Plus Max

Ryzen 3700x (PBO enabled) on Wraith Spire cooler

G.Skill FlareX 16gb 3200 CL16

MSI Aorus 3060 TI

The "problem" i am encountering is that when i stream, i see a significant drop in frames while in game (Warzone specifically) and increaseD CPU usage, which i understand is normal. If i am not streaming, everything is fine and CPU usage sitting at approx 60-65%. Can this be cause by the slow(er) ram speed or amount (16 vs 32?) Would i benefit from upgrade the mobo for PCI 4.0?

In essence, what can be done to the above specs to make it better?

Are you running 1 stick or 2 sticks of ram?

1 stick then that explains your drops, single channel cripples cpu performance esp with ryzen, so get another stick if you only have 1 stick

Everything else seems fine, just overclock the rams and the gpu and maybe even the cpu for better performance

I would try adding another 16 GB kit, streaming can use quite a bit of ram. Warzone can be pretty ram heavy too so your computer might be swapping memory with SSD causing lots of stutters and frame pacing issues.

18 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Are you running 1 stick or 2 sticks of ram?

1 stick then that explains your drops, single channel cripples cpu performance esp with ryzen, so get another stick if you only have 1 stick

Everything else seems fine, just overclock the rams and the gpu and maybe even the cpu for better performance

Thanks for the response! i am actually running 2x8gb, i should have mentioned this.

As for overclocking, i have not had any success using either the "try it!" feature in the bios or using the 1usmus tool. whenever i go in an make any changes it just wont boot and defaults back to original state. I really dont know what i am doing wrong. although, my understand would be that the ram isnt good for oc'ing, but i have just never been able to overclock other than xmp profiles.

As for the gpu, yes i do i have a stable overclock running. CPU just using PBO from bios.

Capture.PNG

Hi!

I'm almost 100% sure is a ram problem. 16GB is a bit to short for warzon and streaming as @Jonathan Lee said. I would suggest you to have 32GB. 16GB is the minimum for gaming only, now a days. Games line New World (or even Warzon) use almost all of it, even if you don't have more aplications in the background.

Do you have the game on an SSD, right?

Just now, RodrigoRS said:

Hi!

I'm almost 100% sure is a ram problem. 16GB is a bit to short for warzon and streaming as @Jonathan Lee said. I would suggest you to have 32GB. 16GB is the minimum for gaming only, now a days. Games line New World (or even Warzon) use almost all of it, even if you don't have more aplications in the background.

ok, i was kind of hoping this would be the answer as it seems to be an easy enough upgrade without breaking bank.

About the ram itself, should i just get the same type of sticks (considering i can't seem to overclock my current kit) or get something better? if i do go better, is it recommended to go 2x16 or 4x8?

i wanted to share a screenshot of my thaiphoon read, it appears that it does not indicate to me the type of die being used, which may be a reason why i am unable to overclock? has anyone ever dealt with no die info and successfully oc'ed ram?

Capture2.PNG.36404f8d95f270a5fedcf3baa14f2ee2.PNG

thanks!

It's almost always easier on the ram controller to have 2 sticks instead of 4 (most motheboards are Daisy Chain instead of T-topoly). Therefore, I would suggest to sell your current 2x8GB kit and get any 2x16GB 3200MHz (CL16 or lower) or 2x16GB 3600MHz (CL18 or lower) as the minimun base for your kit.

About OC it, I just bought a 2x16GB 3600MHz (16-19-19-19) kit a long ago, turned on D.O.C.P. on in the Bios and never worried again.