EVGA FTW3 Ultra Signal Loss to TV?

Hello,

So I think there may be an issue with the HDMI port on my GPU. Whenever I first got it and installed it (Seemingly by a notification miracle...) I was using a 55" Vizio tv off to the side occasionally that was a few years old. I began noticing an issue where the signal will randomly cut out every few minutes and give a few seconds with a black screen, with everything else working fine.  Now, I have monitors plugged into the Displayport slots, and I never have any signal loss or issues. I thought that the issue was my Vizio TV. But now, I have a new Samsung Q80T, and the same thing happens. I'm now using different cables than before, HDMI 2.1, and trying to do 4k 120HZ, but it's quite frustrating playing anything on this, as the signal will frequently cut out at the worst time. So I can't help but wonder if it's a problem with my GPU or the HDMI port. 

My HOPE is that someone may have had a similar issue, and found a setting that needed to be changed, whether it be in display settings or nvidia control panel. Does anyone have a solution to offer?

Thanks in advance,
Daniel

So primarily use Linux, however I have Windows on one of my HTPCs for a specific reason. Two different Vizio TVs now (connected to the GPU via HDMI) go black (like no signal) when first booted up. I have to switch the input, and switch back after the PC is booted. After that though I have no issues, unless the PC powers off the monitor or something. I gave up and for pretty much everything I just use Linux on that machine as well now as Linux does not have this issue, and the TV just works. I did talk to EVGA (my card is also EVGA, pretty much the only GPUs I buy) about this issue, and this was the reply I got:

I am sorry to hear this and it is possible that the TV is drooping the EDID signal so windows disconnects the TV and power cycling the TV gets it to re-send the signal for windows to turn it back on that Linux may not be relying on. You can go into the Nvidia Control Panel and under Display->Set up multiple displays select My display is not shown... and then in the window that comes up click on the Rigorous Display Detection button and after it is done check the box for Force television detection on startup. and then see if there is any change after restarting then changing inputs on the TV and then back again. If there is no change and it was working previously it may be a change in the driver that is making it not check and you can disable the Windows Update for updating the drivers and then use Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) to remove the current drivers and try a previous driver that is known to work.

I had a similar issues when I got my EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080 ti.

I turned out that my HDMI 2.1 cable that I bought with the TV in 2019 was not quite up to spec so I replaced it with a certified cable and it has been fine ever since.

Look for this label when buying.

Certified.png.45bc9e6a6c6aadef999d6bd6dbc3ce68.png  

I bought 3 of these. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S196T4Z?ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details&th=1

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

7 hours ago, OhioYJ said:

So primarily use Linux, however I have Windows on one of my HTPCs for a specific reason. Two different Vizio TVs now (connected to the GPU via HDMI) go black (like no signal) when first booted up. I have to switch the input, and switch back after the PC is booted. After that though I have no issues, unless the PC powers off the monitor or something. I gave up and for pretty much everything I just use Linux on that machine as well now as Linux does not have this issue, and the TV just works. I did talk to EVGA (my card is also EVGA, pretty much the only GPUs I buy) about this issue, and this was the reply I got:

Thank you for the reply! I tried the thing they told you to use, but I cannot check that box, it's greyed out. I've never used Linux unfortunately and not sure I would switch for this :/

6 hours ago, jones177 said:

I had a similar issues when I got my EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080 ti.

I turned out that my HDMI 2.1 cable that I bought with the TV in 2019 was not quite up to spec so I replaced it with a certified cable and it has been fine ever since.

Look for this label when buying.

Certified.png.45bc9e6a6c6aadef999d6bd6dbc3ce68.png  

I bought 3 of these. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S196T4Z?ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Funny thing is.. that's the cable I'm using :(

6 hours ago, IAmNotASmartMan said:

Changing the cable didn't help me, nor did changing the TV port, or even the new GPU I got recently.

Oh, my freezer kicking on across the room is another definite trigger. Could anything like a motor starting cause an voltage/current issue that the PC is protected against through a superior power supply but the TV suffers?

Edit: I'm just Googling this Fridge/Freezer with TV/Monitor issue and there's a lot of post about it.

Thanks for the replies! I don't think that's what's going on for me, no appliances plugged in close or rotating on or anything like that. 

At this point I'm considering trying a displayport to hdmi 2.1 adapter to see if it's really the hdmi port on the card. Rough if that's the only fix, we pay a lot for these cards to just not have the latest technology work properly.... 

8 hours ago, Vosility said:

Funny thing is.. that's the cable I'm using 😞

Then you may be right about it being the ports.

Have you tried a lower bandwidth? 

My OLED was fine at 8bit 4k 120hz and 10 bit 1440p at 120hz on the faulty cable. It was only at 4k 10bit that it had the issue. 

8 hours ago, Vosility said:

At this point I'm considering trying a displayport to hdmi 2.1 adapter to see if it's really the hdmi port on the card. Rough if that's the only fix, we pay a lot for these cards to just not have the latest technology work properly.... 

In a normal world I would say RMA the card.  

I looked into adapters since I got my TVs in 2019 and had RTX 2080 tis but there was not many options back then. Only Club 3D had reviews and they were not good.

Now there seems to be more options but no reviews. 

Let us know if you fix the issue since these posts end up in Google searches and may help others.  

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

11 hours ago, Vosility said:

I know I tried a DVI to HDMI cable and I still had the same issue. 

• 2 weeks later...

So to update, I don’t use my pc on the tv all that often but wanted to see if I could resolve the issue here… I’m usually on my monitors or my PS5 on the tv (which works fine)..

However, the last day I replied, I tried it again and didn’t have any issues. Not sure why, but it seems to be better. I hadn’t changed anything, and had always happened before. I’ll update back if I continue to have the issue in the future. I’d like to advise others as well, as this issue is pretty frustrating. 
I’ll look into changing the bandwidth as well

I also think it may have something to do with the game… it was really bad on GTA5.

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to validate your problem. I have the EVGA FTW3 3080 and have the same issue. Except I have 3 monitors, one of those being a TV, that will all flash no signal at the same time. They'll all go blank at the same time for about 2 seconds then come back up at the same time. I cannot find anything in event viewer at this time. At least not in the main event window. 

This is one of those frustrating issues because there's no logs on it and google has a million results but none of them give real solutions. There are articles on it from years ago and there are articles on it from this month. 

When I reached out to EVGA about it they didn't have any real non-script troubleshooting for me to try. Their final suggestion was I had a bad power supply. 

There isn't any common task either. It happens when I play games, it happens when I'm just browsing chrome, and it'll even happen when I'm sitting on the couch with my computer sitting all alone in the corner! Once it comes back up everything is fine. My computer doesn't reboot, my resources are all relatively low. No indicator of anything wrong. And keep in mind this happens with all 3 displays at once, so it certainly isn't a monitor or cable issue. The color bit depth might be ruled out too since only one monitor uses 10bit. I'll still try it later anyways.