Planning CPU + Motherboard upgrade

Nslookup

Existing components (I am planning on reusing):

• Memory: 4x Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 8 GB 3600 MHz CL18 (Ryzen)
  • GPU: ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB DUAL OC
  • HDD: 2x WD RED 3 TB hard drives
  • SSD (M.2): Samsung EVO 970 1 TB, Samsung EVO 970 PLUS 1 TB, Samsung EVO 980 PRO 1 TB
  • Fans: 2x Corsair LL140 RGB 140mm
  • PSU: Corsair RM750X 750 W

Case: Fractal Design Meshify

Display: Samsung C49RG90 (5120x1440, 100 Hz)

Budget (including currency): "Unlimited" (to the point of marginal gains)

Planned purchases:

• AMD Ryzen 5900X
  • Motherboard
  • CPU cooler

Need advise on:

• Cooler for CPU considering what will fit in the case and clear the RAM
    • Considering
      • Corsair H115i
      • Noctua DH-15
      • Noctua DH-15S
      • NZXT Kraken X53
      • Other suggestions welcome
  • Motherboard
    • Requirements
      • 2.5G networking
      • mATX
      • I do not care at all about audio (I have external sound card)
    • Considering
      • MSI MAG B550M MORTAR
      • I couldn't really find any other options, suggestions welcome
  • Is my PSU still good enough? Will 750 W be enough for 2080 Ti + 5900X?

What is your current cpu, board and cooler?

What will this be used for?

What's your case? Since the mortar is a matx board does that mean you have a matx case? If not the msi b550 tomahawk is usually cheaper and a tiny bit better.

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

What is your current cpu, board and cooler?

What will this be used for?

What's your case? Since the mortar is a matx board does that mean you have a matx case? If not the msi b550 tomahawk is usually cheaper and a tiny bit better.

Case is Fractal Design Meshify (mATX). Current broad is ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-H with Intel i7-8700k. Primary purpose is gaming.

Cooler is Hyper 212 EVO, but I do not have AM4 bracket.

4 minutes ago, Nslookup said:

Case is Fractal Design Meshify (mATX). Current broad is ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-H with Intel i7-8700k. Primary purpose is gaming.

Cooler is Hyper 212 EVO, but I do not have AM4 bracket.

Any reason for the cpu upgrade? The 8700k is still an amazing gaming cpu?

If you really wanna upgrade for the sake of upgrading get a 9900k. You will barely notice the difference in gaming between it and a 5900x. None of the cpu's here is limiting your card or won't reach ridiculous high fps in easy to run games.

13 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Any reason for the cpu upgrade? The 8700k is still an amazing gaming cpu?

If you really wanna upgrade for the sake of upgrading get a 9900k. You will barely notice the difference in gaming between it and a 5900x. None of the cpu's here is limiting your card or won't reach ridiculous high fps in easy to run games.

I've had some system file corruption and instability. Basically my plan is to change CPU + motherboard + OS drive + reinstall Windows. Hopefully this will change enough variables to make my issues go away. (Troubleshooting is hard, just swap components until the issue is gone. 😛)

I do not see a world where I would "upgrade" to 9900k. Reinstalling Windows etc. is a lot of work and I would like to make major jumps when I do that.

1 minute ago, Nslookup said:

I've had some system file corruption and instability. Basically my plan is to change CPU + motherboard + OS drive + reinstall Windows. Hopefully this will change enough variables to make my issues go away. (Troubleshooting is hard, just swap components until the issue is gone. 😛)

I do not see a world where I would "upgrade" to 9900k. Reinstalling Windows etc. is a lot of work and I would like to make major jumps when I do that.

Thats a storage issue not a cpu board issue like AT ALL.

What major jump? The 8700k or 9900k don't even hold back your gpu at all.

7 minutes ago, Nslookup said:

check if you have bent cpu pins, if not id bet you just have a bad windows install. back up all your data and reinstall windows first. then if you want an upgrade get a 9900k. dont waste a ton of money on something that sounds like a software issue

also for a cpu cooler, just get a dark rock pro 4. its cheaper and basically the same performance as the noctua cooler and its not brown.

It is very unclear what happened but basically a few system DLL files got a few bytes in them changed (this is 1-2 months ago). I repaired it with "sfc /scannow" but since then everything has been fine. I've had a few GPU driver crashes since then but not sure if it is related.

I've not been completely happy with the FPS I get in games, for example in New World I only get 40 - 60 FPS (High settings). But maybe you say this is a GPU issue and not a CPU bottleneck. If you say this will not improve at all, then I guess I might consider not upgrading and just doing a reinstall...

All SMART values for the drive look good so not sure if it could be the fault:

image.png.649afd8618e18a4162fed545064bb048.png

Again since this only provably happened once, it is very hard to troubleshoot.

Another problem I have is that my computer randomly has trouble logging in to Windows. It takes a long time and then finally it fails to fetch any credentials (Chrome, OneDrive require a new sign in).