As easy as it was on every release - iOS15 jailbroken in minutes

williamcll

An exploit with safari's hyperlink have allowed the famed Pangu Jailbreaking team to gain elevated access to the new iphone 13 Pro and its iOS 15. Winning the team a decent award of $300,000 USD.

Quotes

According to the contest website, teams had to allow the iPhone 13 Pro to browse a remote URL, to allow the contestants a chance to "control the phone system." As part of the challenge, contestants had to bypass "PAC mitigation," with additional prizes offered for a sandbox escape or a jailbreak. Three tiers of prizes were associated with the iPhone 13 Pro, with remote code execution winning $120,000, while RCE with a sandbox escape securing the contestant $180,000. For the remote jailbreak, the prize is $300,000. The iPhone is only one of a number of targets in the overall competition, covering both Apple devices and products from other companies. Other targets include RCE attacks against Safari running on both Intel and Apple Silicon MacBook Pro models, as well as a Synology NAS, a Xiaomi Mi 11 smartphone, and Windows 10 and Google Chrome running on notebooks, among others.

My thoughts

Sadly for the rest of us, this exploit won't be publicized so everyone's gotta wait a bit longer for a iOS15 JB but it is a proof that a working jailbreak do exist for the newest iphones. What annoys me however is that many jailbroken apps are not compatible with consecutive updates at all.

Sources

https://appleinsider.com/articles/21/10/16/iphone-13-pro-remote-jailbreak-earns-researchers-300000-in-hacking-contest

https://www.ithome.com/0/580/926.htm

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Huh, nice

Tho, tbf, The numbers of those who actually jailbreak have plummeted. (But I could be wrong)

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

3 minutes ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

Huh, nice

Tho, tbf, The numbers of those who actually jailbreak have plummeted. (But I could be wrong)

If you're someone who would like the benefits of jailbreaking I see little reason to go for an iphone to begin with

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Also damn, not a bad days pay.

everything is an eSport these days. Even 5th place gets $30k

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 minute ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

Huh, nice

Tho, tbf, The numbers of those who actually jailbreak have plummeted. (But I could be wron

My guess is just that the people who wanted phones with elevated access moved to android, where rooting can be passed on on every OS update and can be applied on most phones. That and rooted apps also work on newer rooted android releases unlike iOS.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Man, I'd love to understand all of this.....how it's done, what is done...it's just such a beyond my knowledge area thing.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

2 hours ago, Video Beagle said:

Man, I'd love to understand all of this.....how it's done, what is done...it's just such a beyond my knowledge area thing.

Cat Typing GIF - Cat Typing Group Chat Is Lit - Discover & Share GIFs

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

4 hours ago, J-from-Nucleon said:

Huh, nice

I would speculate that JBing of iPhones have plummeted a lot because of apps moving to freemium/subscription model instead of a one time purchase. 

Because let's not kid ourselves, at least 10 years ago almost everyone (that I know at least) that JBed their iPhone did it because not having to pay for apps. 

5 hours ago, leadeater said:

Footage at the event of the team hard at work

Apple. What a bunch of slackers. The fact the OS was 0wned this quickly just goes to show how infectively a near infinite amount of money can help. This isn't a funding problem; it's a leadership / management issue at Apple.

18 hours ago, williamcll said:

My guess is just that the people who wanted phones with elevated access moved to android, where rooting can be passed on on every OS update and can be applied on most phones. That and rooted apps also work on newer rooted android releases unlike iOS.

Good luck with movie streaming and banking apps. They are notorious for whining overroot. Hell, even if your phone is not rooted, just with unlocked bootloader they'll refuse to work. Been there, seen that. And I don't have time to jerk around with stupid Magisk every time to hide things from apps.

19 hours ago, leadeater said:

Footage at the event of the team hard at work

73e55358e7b0703f20602b01b408e9e6.gif

I didn't realise freddy mercury was also a magician.

20 hours ago, Video Beagle said:

Honestly, most of the time they just do the same thing they did on the last version. If that doesn't work then they look for known CVEs. Spending weeks/months with a soldering iron, debugger and an IDE is not really all that common anymore.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

Honestly, most of the time they just do the same thing they did on the last version. If that doesn't work then they look for known CVEs. Spending weeks/months with a soldering iron, debugger and an IDE is not really all that common anymore.

He's parodying Doug Henning, a magician from the 70's/early 80's. (You may know that, but Henning has sorta been lost to history, though I rmember him being very big when I was young).

re: what they're doing.. no the whole thing..the whole doing something and gaining access etc bit.. it's really beyond my level of comprehension...I did once jailbreak a nook iirc...following a specific set of instructions, but I couldn't tell you what I did and how (or why at this point...it was many years ago). Like I guess they do blah which overloads a memory section in the computer causing an error state that they can take advantage of, but shurg.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

5 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

LOL 🤣. I can totally imagine Freddy hacking to the song "Don't Stop Me Now" 🤣