HDD making REALLY LOUD grinding noises

BrandoDio

So my 1 year old TOSHIBA P300 2TB SATA III started acting up, after turning my pc on it started making loud grinding noise, it sounds kinda like a drill.

my specs are:

GPU:GIGABYTE WINDFORCE 1650 SUPER

RAM: HyperX 16GB RAM DD4 2666

CPU:I3-9100F

MOBO:ASUS H310M-R

PSU:SILENTIUM PC Elementum E2 550W

the drive works fine and sometimes it doesnt even happen,

so my question is - is this something that could be caused by my motherboard?

i've had previous problems with this mobo but nothing that big, the drive still has it's warranty but idk if i should return it if can be caused by mobo.

I also have another drive, but it's ssd and it works fine

Sometimes it happens before post, sometimes it happens after post, unpugging the drive, launching the pc and plugging it back in fixes the problem for a couple of hours.

Can we actually get a sound clip of this grinding noise? In general grinding noise is a major no no for harddisks, however some drives are noticeably louder than others and that might confuse some. In any scenario, start backing up your irreplaceable data.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

It won't be caused by the motherboard -

If you haven't already, the first thing you need to do is back up any important data.

1 minute ago, Levent said:

Can we actually get a sound clip of this grinding noise? In general grinding noise is a major no no for harddisks, however some drives are noticeably louder than others and that might confuse some. In any scenario, start backing up your irreplaceable data.

no, im talking legit drill noise coming from the hdd, cant really post it right now as im working and it would require me to disassemble the pc that im working on.

Just now, BrandoDio said:

no, im talking legit drill noise coming from the hdd, cant really post it right now as im working and it would require me to disassemble the pc that im working on.

Most likely head is scratching the platters or motor bearing is dying. If you havent already, start backing up your data.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

1 minute ago, Levent said:

Most likely head is scratching the platters or motor bearing is dying. If you havent already, start backing up your data.

not much to back up as all i had there was just games and my nvidia share recordings, all i want to know is that can it be caused by my psu or mobo, if not ill just get warranty on it 

6 minutes ago, Levent said:

the drive is currently unplugged and i dont think i will be plugging it in soon, for comparison, my pc at full fan speed during gaming is around 10% of that noise while my old ps4 is still louder on god of war and still, the hdd noise is like at least 3 times louder than the infamous "ps4 hair dryer"

3 minutes ago, BrandoDio said:

not much to back up as all i had there was just games and my nvidia share recordings, all i want to know is that can it be caused by my psu or mobo, if not ill just get warranty on it 

HDDs have much higher failure rates than PSUs and motherboards. Motherboard is most certainly not the culprit here, if I were to guess it is the hdd.

Spoiler

Everybody gangsta till your hdd starts making drill noises and blows up

Just return the hdd, its prob dying

If warranty doesnt cover it for whatever reason then you could do some fun experiments with your hdd, or just dissasemble it for parts like magnets and motors

If you can record it, that would help...

I have the same, or similar drive... great when new, few months later became very loud and sluggish... supposed to be "normal".

Problem is its unusable for normal operation,  so I'm using it as external drive for backups now, and it works fine for that, the noise and sluggishness typically only starts after some time, so I'm not really experiencing this anymore. 

So, yeah, some recording of how it actually sounds would be helpful. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity