What can £500 get you?

Tehkast

My beloved dell latitude E5410 seems to be just hanging on for life but fear not long left for the old boy 😞 The list of faults are rather high but he lasted a good 10 years so can't complain.

So time seems to be be I must replace the old wonder.

Budget is around £500 can push it a bit but feel like laptops don't last all that long so spending alot for something that may only last a few years dunno seems hard to swallow but also maybe I'm just a bit stingy.

I mainly use my laptop for surfing the web youtube etc and I'm learning programming (Python) but that seems fairly light weight, I've been unable to play anything (Even poker night at the inventory) on this old dell so hoping it would be nice to maybe grab something that could play some games the bar is pretty low. My desktop is running a 970 so I'm out of date there also but if could get even close to a 970 now days would poop my pants with amazement.

I don't even know where to start does brand matter or it just go for specs is there a go to wonder laptop atm that is just the great all rounder?

Any advise/suggestions would be wonderful. 

I see this laptop come up time and again is it actually good does anyone have one that can give a critique ?

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/gaming/pc-gaming/gaming-laptops/acer-nitro-5-15-6-gaming-laptop-intel-core-i5-gtx-1650-512-gb-ssd-10221142-pdt.html

Nitro 5 

Whats the build quality like?

Whats the battery like?

Does it run hot?

What do you need it to do that your desktop can’t and are you opposed to buying used?

The reason your latitude lasted this long is that’s a decent business laptop designed to last long. I would look into a just a more recent used latitude or elitebook or thinkpad if you wanted a regular use laptop that will last you another decade.

You can find latitude E5470’s specced out with skylake quadcore i7’s and amd Radeon mobile cards in abundance for around the 450-550$ mark on eBay.

11 hours ago, 8tg said:

What do you need it to do that your desktop can’t and are you opposed to buying used?

The reason your latitude lasted this long is that’s a decent business laptop designed to last long. I would look into a just a more recent used latitude or elitebook or thinkpad if you wanted a regular use laptop that will last you another decade.

You can find latitude E5470’s specced out with skylake quadcore i7’s and amd Radeon mobile cards in abundance for around the 450-550$ mark on eBay.

I need the portability just so can move it around as my 1 year old doesn't like to stay still much and where he drops for a nap.

Very weary of buying a used laptop frankly got his dell for free as old ewaste from work but did a great job not very taxing work.

I see dell has a sale on right now some fairly sharp offers there 

https://deals.dell.com/en-uk/work/productdetail/atsc

Inspiron 15 3515

Processor
AMD Ryzen™ 3 3250U Mobile Processor with Radeon™ Graphics
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64bit, English, Dutch, French, German, Italian
Graphics Card
AMD Radeon™ Graphics with shared graphics memory
Display
15.6-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) Anti-glare LED Backlight Non-Touch Narrow Border WVA Display
Hard Drive
256GB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drive
Memoryi
8GB, 1x8GB, DDR4, 2400MHz
Primary Battery
3-Cell Battery, 41WHr (Integrated)
Wireless
802.11ac 1x1 WiFi and Bluetooth

£364 doesn't seem bad at all 

dunno what to think time is ticking 11 hours left on sale.

This machine is basically ewaste... It's running windows on a chromebook spec.

You can find much better for your budget

If you're willing to go dell, they have plenty of budget options. They have just released a new Inspiron laptop that was just covered on ShortCircuit and they have plenty of budget options (https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/new-inspiron-15-touch-laptop/spd/inspiron-15-5515-laptop/nn5515fbbph). Acer also has good cheap options in their swift line up and if you're just using it to just have a portable computer (https://store.acer.com/en-us/swift-3-laptop-sf314-42-r7lh). Also I am using the US sites because I am in the US and am lazy.