Question About Setting Up Routers With VPN

Unkindness

Hi,

I have Cable (Coaxial Cable) "Fibre Optic" (I dunno how true but its fast) internet at my home so I don't have a phone land line. The router I have is from the provider so it has a Coaxial connection to it. I would like to run a non-provider router so I can I run my VPN off it so I can geo-unlock tv programs on the smart tvs and google chrome dongles I have. Can I just get an eternet cable router and connect to my provider's router and run my house off the eternet router with VPN software loaded on it or do I need to find a router with a coaxial port that allows me to load the VPN on it?

Cheers!

CPU: Intel i-9 9900KF
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
RAM: G.Skill 32GB 3200MHz Sniper X
GPU: ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2060
Case: Fractual Design Define S
Storage: Intel 760p 265GB SSD x2, Intel 760p 1TB SSD
PSU: Aerocool Project 7 650W
Display: ASUS VG278QR
Cooling: Noctua D-15S

Sound: ASUS Strix Soar

48 minutes ago, Unkindness said:

Can I just get an eternet cable router and connect to my provider's router and run my house off the eternet router with VPN software loaded on it or do I need to find a router with a coaxial port that allows me to load the VPN on it?

Both options are possible, provided your ISP allows the use of custom routers. Otherwise only the first one is viable. The second option has the advantage of needing one less device. The first one might give you more options in terms of routers. You could also use something like a small Linux machine as the router, which might be best in terms of flexibility as far as configuring network rules go.

Do you want to route all connections through the VPN or just some of them? In the second case, you need to be able to configure some routing tables that decide whether to go through the VPN or directly into the internet based on source/destination IP, ports etc.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

3 hours ago, Unkindness said:

I have Cable (Coaxial Cable) "Fibre Optic" (I dunno how true but its fast) internet at my home so I don't have a phone land line.

Well you need to figure out if you have Fiber or Docsis Coax service. The easiest way is to check the ISP's box and see what it say, you put the model number in to Google. If its Docsis Coax service there are a plethora of modems  or gateways you can buy. BUT you need to get with your provider to see if they allow customer owned equipment because that doesn't apply to all countries. For example here in the US its FEDERAL LAW for cable companies to allow customer owned equipment. 

I can I run my VPN off it so I can geo-unlock tv programs on the smart tvs and google chrome dongles

Just recall that many streaming services can block VPN's from accessing the content. I know that Netflix and most of the big guys do black VPN's. This is due to how licensing works on regional basis. 

I just get an eternet cable router and connect to my provider's router and run my house off the eternet router with VPN software loaded on it or do I need to find a router with a coaxial port that allows me to load the VPN on it?

You can if your providers box support Bridge mode. Essential turning it in to a standard modem. This will allow you to run a non provider router without the issues of double NAT. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

17 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

Do you want to route all connections through the VPN or just some of them? In the second case, you need to be able to configure some routing tables that decide whether to go through the VPN or directly into the internet based on source/destination IP, ports etc.

I would like to run everything through it just for handiness sake

15 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Well you need to figure out if you have Fiber or Docsis Coax service. The easiest way is to check the ISP's box and see what it say, you put the model number in to Google. If its Docsis Coax service there are a plethora of modems  or gateways you can buy. BUT you need to get with your provider to see if they allow customer owned equipment because that doesn't apply to all countries. For example here in the US its FEDERAL LAW for cable companies to allow customer owned equipment. 

Just recall that many streaming services can block VPN's from accessing the content. I know that Netflix and most of the big guys do black VPN's. This is due to how licensing works on regional basis. 

You can if your providers box support Bridge mode. Essential turning it in to a standard modem. This will allow you to run a non provider router without the issues of double NAT. 

I have bought a fibre broadband pack but it comes through the wall on a coaxial cable so thats my confusion.

I live in Ireland and I recently got rid of my TV "cable" pack. So in order to use channel apps that are free to air in the UK, I need to run a VPN.

Being in Europe too, I'm fairly convinced I can use whatever router I like but the options for an Ethernet router is so much cheaper and easier to get than the coaxial ones.

6 hours ago, Unkindness said:

Ethernet router is so much cheaper and easier to get than the coaxial ones.

What you have to understand is that there are no Coax routers. The router that has coax generally has a Docsis cable modem built in. So you need to figure out if you have full Fiber or Docsis cable service. The only other router that has coax is the Moca router Verizon uses with their Fiber service. But Verizon also uses standalone ONTs and Coax is only used for TV service and if you have a lower internet package due to the limits of Moca. 

From what I have seen in the EU they do it the AT&T way. Here is a POS gateway that is going to be limited and sucks ass. Generally the Fiber optic cable would run in to this gateway and Coax from that gateway would power your TV's. 

3 hours ago, Donut417 said:

What you have to understand is that there are no Coax routers. The router that has coax generally has a Docsis cable modem built in. So you need to figure out if you have full Fiber or Docsis cable service. The only other router that has coax is the Moca router Verizon uses with their Fiber service. But Verizon also uses standalone ONTs and Coax is only used for TV service and if you have a lower internet package due to the limits of Moca. 

From what I have seen in the EU they do it the AT&T way. Here is a POS gateway that is going to be limited and sucks ass. Generally the Fiber optic cable would run in to this gateway and Coax from that gateway would power your TV's. 

Its probably better to show what POS i have:

https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/wireless-routers/1407886/virgin-media-hub-3-review

53 minutes ago, Unkindness said:

It’s a Docsis 3.0 gateway. Abundantly available, but you have to check with your provider about 3rd party modems and if they support them. If they do I suggest a standard modem and separate router. If they don’t see about putting it in to bridge mode and using any router you like. 

Just now, Donut417 said:

It’s a Docsis 3.0 gateway. Abundantly available, but you have to check with your provider about 3rd party modems and if they support them. If they do I suggest a standard modem and separate router. If they don’t see about putting it in to bridge mode and using any router you like. 

I dont have a tv or land line phone with them so they are happy enough to let me plough on with whatever hardware since its only providing internet to my house. Any recommendations as to what I should set up I should purchase?

i really apprecate the help man! If it hasnt got wheels and an engine, I'm at a bit of a loss!

5 minutes ago, Unkindness said:

I dont have a tv or land line phone with them so they are happy enough to let me plough on with whatever hardware since its only providing internet to my house. Any recommendations as to what I should set up I should purchase?

i really apprecate the help man! If it hasnt got wheels and an engine, I'm at a bit of a loss!

The SB6183 and CM500 are two modems I see suggested. If they will support Docsis 3.1 modems the any of those but units like the S33 come with 2.5 Gbps Ethernet, meaning above Gigabit speeds if offered. Be mindful these are modems only they don’t offer WiFi. I have not suggestions for Gateway devices. 

Router wise I really don’t keep up with that too much. But most devices now days should be WiFi 5 capable or even WiFi 6 capable. 

Onr final thing, not sure about over there but over here you will have to call the ISP to register the modem, generally giving them the MAC address so they can authorize it on their network.

1 minute ago, Donut417 said:

The SB6183 and CM500 are two modems I see suggested. If they will support Docsis 3.1 modems the any of those but units like the S33 come with 2.5 Gbps Ethernet, meaning above Gigabit speeds if offered. Be mindful these are modems only they don’t offer WiFi. I have not suggestions for Gateway devices. 

Router wise I really don’t keep up with that too much. But most devices now days should be WiFi 5 capable or even WiFi 6 capable. 

Onr final thing, not sure about over there but over here you will have to call the ISP to register the modem, generally giving them the MAC address so they can authorize it on their network.

Cheers man! Really apprecate all that!