Need to decide between HP Omen 15 | Dell G15 | Acer Predator Helios 300. All are RTX 3060 models and have a GPU TGP of 100+ watts.

Go to solution Solved by The12th Unique,

Closing the thread since no one is responding and also because I have dropped the idea of buying a laptop right now.

Specs for each - 

Acer Predator Helios 300 i7 10870H | 16GB RAM | RTX 3060

HP Omen 15 Ryzen 7 5800H | 16GB RAM | RTX 3060

Dell G15 Ryzen 7 (can't remember the CPU, might be the same as Omen) | 16 GB RAM | RTX 3060

6 minutes ago, The12th Unique said:

Specs for each -

Acer Predator Helios 300 i7 10870H | 16GB RAM | RTX 3060
HP Omen 15 Ryzen 7 5800H | 16GB RAM | RTX 3060
Dell G15 Ryzen 7 (can't remember the CPU, might be the same as Omen) | 16 GB RAM | RTX 3060

Can i go with "neither"? All 3 have their own problems, but if you put me at gun point ill have to go with dell and deal with their nightmare of sales rep and customer service.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

1 hour ago, SorryClaire said:

Can i go with "neither"? All 3 have their own problems, but if you put me at gun point ill have to go with dell and deal with their nightmare of sales rep and customer service.

Thanks for answering but could you be more clear about what problems you are referring to for each laptop?

29 minutes ago, The12th Unique said:

Thanks for answering but could you be more clear about what problems you are referring to for each laptop?

All 3 have hinge issues, but Acer have the worst with both durability and the stiffness. Acer also have thermal issues on their unit, HP BIOS is nightmare as is and its more annoying on Omen because of how conservatively powered they are. And then Dell as i eluded to before have pretty arse sales rep.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

10 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

All 3 have hinge issues, but Acer have the worst with both durability and the stiffness. Acer also have thermal issues on their unit, HP BIOS is nightmare as is and its more annoying on Omen because of how conservatively powered they are. And then Dell as i eluded to before have pretty arse sales rep.

Well Acer I already am dicey about but it was HP that seemed a bit weird. I was hypothesising that the CPU and GPU in HP might be underpowered that is why they supposedly have better cooling. 

As for Dell I am not sure, a reviewer I have followed to choose the best laptop seems to be hating it because the screen has a bad response time and apparently Dell laptops have a reputation for overheating?  

23 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

All 3 have hinge issues, but Acer have the worst with both durability and the stiffness

Proof?

23 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Acer also have thermal issues on their unit

Helios 300 don't have thermal issue, just need to manually increase fan speed instead of using auto fans

24 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Omen because of how conservatively powered they are

It's not that conservative compared to budget models like Nitro 5.

24 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Dell as i eluded to before have pretty arse sales rep.

Depends on region, they have the best aftersales in where I live.

1 hour ago, The12th Unique said:

Which country you're in? Budget?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

14 minutes ago, genexis_x said:

Proof?

Helios 300 don't have thermal issue, just need to manually increase fan speed instead of using auto fans

It's not that conservative compared to budget models like Nitro 5.

Depends on region, they have the best aftersales in where I live.

Which country you're in? Budget?

For country let's just say Southern Asia and as for my budget 1300$-1500$?

let's just say Southern Asia

i need to know the exact country since i need to check availability and prices

budget 1300$-1500$

In your local currency please.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

20 minutes ago, genexis_x said:

i need to know the exact country since i need to check availability and prices

In your local currency please.

Alright the country is India and budget is 1,00,000 INR - 1,20,000 INR. 

2 hours ago, The12th Unique said:

Alright the country is India and budget is 1,00,000 INR - 1,20,000 INR. 

Any links of local online stores?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

18 minutes ago, genexis_x said:

Any links of local online stores?

Flipkart and Amazon are the 2 most renowned around here.

I appreciate you trying to help me according to my region but I would also like to know the general reputation of the laptops. Whether they are actually good or not and are there any problems that are faced by anyone regardless of their region. 

11 hours ago, The12th Unique said:

are there any problems

it depends on ur luck

11 hours ago, The12th Unique said:

Flipkart and Amazon

will get back to u later

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

I found the same models, nvm

Performance wise the G15 beats both models due to higher TGP+MUX (I only found the Intel based G15 5511), however you must use G mode (max fans) and lift/raise the laptop (since you stay in India, the hot climate doesn't help either)

If you prefer cooler temps, pick either Helios 300 or Omen 15. Though u still need to manually increase fan speed since the auto fans are too slow. Also, both have lower GPU TGP (90-105W and 100W fixed respectively, vs 115-125W) and no MUX

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

One thing I am sure of is that whatever laptop it may be, I am getting a cooling pad and will always ensure to stop my temps from going absurdly high by either running the fans at max RPM or turning down the settings if it's a game. 

So the cooling will always be something I am keeping an eye out for. 

Also which of these would you say has a better display and durability? 

3 hours ago, The12th Unique said:

getting a cooling pad

Doesn't help much actually especially in warmer climate. Just lift/raise the laptop will do

For display you have to check on the specific model, all of them can have bad screens

If durability is your main concern, sorry to say but you're looking at the wrong laptop. Should have bought business laptop without dGPU

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

2 hours ago, genexis_x said:

Doesn't help much actually especially in warmer climate. Just lift/raise the laptop will do

For display you have to check on the specific model, all of them can have bad screens

If durability is your main concern, sorry to say but you're looking at the wrong laptop. Should have bought business laptop without dGPU

By durability I meant it won’t break easily the build is good enough to handle a bit of rough usage. 

a bit of rough usage

u still need a business laptop for that just for peace of mind

anyway u should always take good care of ur laptop, instead of trashing it like the majority

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

4 hours ago, genexis_x said:

u still need a business laptop for that just for peace of mind

anyway u should always take good care of ur laptop, instead of trashing it like the majority

Alright thanks

1 hour ago, IPD said:

I like Omen.  That's my pick of the 3.

That is what I have been thinking as well

Closing the thread since no one is responding and also because I have dropped the idea of buying a laptop right now.