ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti AMP Extreme Memory Clock Instability

darknightbacca

SPECS

CPU : Ryzen 7 2700x 

GPU : Zotac 1080 TI AMP Extreme

PSU : Aorus P850W

RAM : G.SKILL RIPJAWS 2X8GB 3200MHZ

MOTHERBOARD : MSI CARBON PRO AC B450 PLUS

Hi, i went ahead and sold my 1070 ti and bought a USED 1080 ti off a guy, i gave it a test through furmark & OCCT before i bought it, all was clear, 

However i was using a 550w psu (which i used for the 1070 ti) so the games would crash, i assumed fully it wasn't supplying enough power as even 3dmark would crash instantly when launched, went ahead and upgraded to a 850W PSU, after more testing, turns out 3DMARK still crashes and games are now crashing every few minutes on stock settings on this thing,

After significant testing i've tested all my components and tried it in another pc, i've found out that the instability is caused primarily by the memory clocks, downclocking it to around -700 and increasing the power limit to 120% completely stabilizes the card, 3dmark firestrike extreme can run fully with no issues as well as no game crashes,

I spoke to the guy that sold it to me, he fully responded and told me it was working for him completely just before he pulled it out of his pc and upgraded to a new card,

Take that with a grain of salt, but if he was a scammer, he wouldn't respond to me at all i'd think,

Now OBVIOUSLY i can't RMA the card, as it's out of the warranty period, i can't sell it & the guy most likely won't take it back and refund me, so my options are to make this thing work,

Memory clock dosen't affect performance all that much at all so i'm happy about that, happy i can make it stable, i'm just worried that in the future the VRAM chips may degrade further and cause complete gpu instability, 

My only guess for this is the 550W PSU i hooked the card up to and tested on games must have slightly damaged the VRAM chips, as the guy said himself he had no issues with crashing and he ran it at STOCK speeds, 

What are my best options here? will the vram possibly die soon? what do you guys think? 

55 minutes ago, darknightbacca said:

SPECS

CPU : Ryzen 7 2700x 

GPU : Zotac 1080 TI AMP Extreme

PSU : Aorus P850W

RAM : G.SKILL RIPJAWS 2X8GB 3200MHZ

MOTHERBOARD : MSI CARBON PRO AC B450 PLUS

Hi, i went ahead and sold my 1070 ti and bought a USED 1080 ti off a guy, i gave it a test through furmark & OCCT before i bought it, all was clear, 

However i was using a 550w psu (which i used for the 1070 ti) so the games would crash, i assumed fully it wasn't supplying enough power as even 3dmark would crash instantly when launched, went ahead and upgraded to a 850W PSU, after more testing, turns out 3DMARK still crashes and games are now crashing every few minutes on stock settings on this thing,

After significant testing i've tested all my components and tried it in another pc, i've found out that the instability is caused primarily by the memory clocks, downclocking it to around -700 and increasing the power limit to 120% completely stabilizes the card, 3dmark firestrike extreme can run fully with no issues as well as no game crashes,

I spoke to the guy that sold it to me, he fully responded and told me it was working for him completely just before he pulled it out of his pc and upgraded to a new card,

Take that with a grain of salt, but if he was a scammer, he wouldn't respond to me at all i'd think,

Now OBVIOUSLY i can't RMA the card, as it's out of the warranty period, i can't sell it & the guy most likely won't take it back and refund me, so my options are to make this thing work,

Memory clock dosen't affect performance all that much at all so i'm happy about that, happy i can make it stable, i'm just worried that in the future the VRAM chips may degrade further and cause complete gpu instability, 

My only guess for this is the 550W PSU i hooked the card up to and tested on games must have slightly damaged the VRAM chips, as the guy said himself he had no issues with crashing and he ran it at STOCK speeds, 

What are my best options here? will the vram possibly die soon? what do you guys think? 

I remember HDDs suffering accelerating damage, but I don’t remember it happening to other stuff.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.