New gaming rig (Ryzen 5600x)

Lirnak

Budget (including currency): 1000 - 1300 $CAD (Can varies depending of the parts I will reuse from my current build) Open to pay more or less, but targeting a higher/budget build.

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Gaming at 1080p/60FPS, Some multimedia work(photoshop), Online browsing ,Web development. (Bonus for higher performance in case I upgrade monitor, but no in short term, will probably come with future GPU upgrade). No intent to OC, unless needed in few years.

Other details:

I upgrade from a build from 2014:
i5-4690K with a ASUS Z97-A motherboard
MSI Geforce 1060 GB (will keep it for the current build) (buyed in 2018 to replace a GTX 760)
PSU : Corsair CX Series CX750M 750W

The build I am looking at right now, is a Micro Atx rig based on a Ryzen 5600x :

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/Lirnak/saved/ssDGP6

I plan to use my 1060 6GB with this build and see how it goes with my daily use before thinking about buying a more recent GPU and having to sell one of my kidney 馃槄

My questions about this build :

1. About the RAM, should I fill the 4 memory slots (4x4GB) or it's ok to use 2x8GB ? I have done some research where I saw contradictory information, some maybe outdated. I am not sure.
  2. Does 3200 is a good pick the the RAM size? I do not intend to OC.
  3. Is this safe to use a 750W power supply (Corsair CX Series CX750M) that is 7 years old? Or I should buy a new one?
  4. Any advice / relevant opinion?

Thank you all, can wait to put this together聽馃榾

1. 2x8GB will be better. You can add another 2x8GB kit of RAM (get the same exact one) later on, but generally yes 2x_GB is recommended. It will be easier on the motherboard and its memory controller.
  2. Yes.
  3. 750W is more than enough, but I do recommend buying a new psu (especially if your current one is 5+ years old) and you're getting much newer tech. You'll want a more solid psu that will support the new hardware.
  4. Storage? You didn't list that. Idk how much storage you have in your current build, and what kind it is.

For this build, I recommend moving the fan that's pre-installed at the front of the case, to the top (preferably top-rear) of the case as an exhaust fan. Then mount the 2 140mm fans at the front of the case as intake fans. Motherboard has 3 case fan headers. I recommend using one of the splitters for the 140mm front case fans, and the other one for the 2 that came with the case (top-rear and rear of case) [Use the 2 sys_fan connectors that are next to the ATX connector, on the right of the motherboard there].

BUILD GUIDE | Thermal Paste (Cross / X method) | What Comes After

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/vtpf3Z

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor聽 ($357.75 @ shopRBC)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S redux 70.75 CFM CPU Cooler聽 ($62.95 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550M MORTAR Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard聽 ($179.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory聽 ($84.99 @ Canada Computers)
Storage: Western Digital SN750 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive聽 ($79.98 @ Amazon Canada)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive聽 ($119.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB Video Card聽 (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case聽 ($127.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply聽 ($132.50 @ Vuugo)
Case Fan: Corsair ML140 Pro 97 CFM 140 mm Fan聽 ($39.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Custom: Cable Matters (2-Pack) PWM 2-Fan Splitter Cable - 4 Inches聽 ($10.99 @ Amazon Canada)
$1237.10

Edited by GeorgeMKane

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos

Thanks for the answer.

For the storage, I thought to buy a new SSD(250 GO) for the OS (I put it there : https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/Lirnak/saved/ssDGP6), but I will take a m2 drive instead of a 2.5, I forgot about that. I will reuse SSDs I already have for more storage.

Thanks for the fans configuration suggestions.

For the motherboard you suggest, is there a precise reason why you suggest the MSI MAG B550M MORTAR ? Is it a bettter choice than a Asus TUF GAMING B550M-PLUS Micro ATX? I see the MSI you propose have wifi functionality I did not need. I like the number of USB port the Asus have, and I admit I have a personnal bias toward Asus motherboard, since I always had Asus board and they never failed me (I know that is not an argument 馃槢 ).

Edit: Also, is there a precise reason for the change of CPU heatsink from a Noctua D-15s to a NH-U12s ? I know the D-15s may be overkill, but I had in mind if I want to OC the cpu a little bit in 3-4-5 years it could help, and I got the clearance in the case for it.

Thanks again for your time.

Edited by Lirnak
Add question about cpu heatsink

Yeah, the b550m-plus is a solid motherboard too, but the b550m mortar has...

• more fan headers
  • integrated i/o shield
  • more SATA ports (you can add more SSDs / HDDs later on, for sure)

You could definitely get the nh-d15s instead. No worries there.

If you're doing web development, photoshop, and maybe some video editing... you have more room in the budget now (after taking out the 1TB SSD) for 32GB of RAM instead too (yay! no need to add more later 馃檪 ).

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/zp9368

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor聽 ($369.50 @ Vuugo)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black 82.51 CFM CPU Cooler聽 ($119.95 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550M MORTAR Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard聽 ($179.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory聽 ($154.99 @ Canada Computers)
Storage: Western Digital SN750 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive聽 ($79.98 @ Amazon Canada)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB Video Card聽 (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case聽 ($127.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply聽 ($132.50 @ Vuugo)
Custom: Cable Matters (2-Pack) PWM 2-Fan Splitter Cable - 4 Inches聽 ($10.99 @ Amazon Canada)
$1255.86

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos

Ok thanks for the details, that really helpfull. I will have a deeper look on the motherboard!

Edit: I will definitively go with the Mortar one!

Edited by Lirnak