Strange clicking noise, gets louder when playing.

Go to solution Solved by CommanderAlex,
2 minutes ago, ShadoWalkeR said:

Does that indicate the card is dying or it's normal, the card is the only old component here it's a 1080 TI but was unused for most of it's life.

Coil whine is normal and does not affect the performance or reliability of the graphics card. The noise is from transformers/inductors vibrating at a frequency that falls within the human range of hearing, about 20Hz to 20,000Hz.聽

So i've noticed on my gf PC (It's a new PC recently built) a strange clicking noise that gets really loud and fast when playing games or doing anything more intensive.
I have no clue what this might be help?
I left a video showing the noise and how it stops if i close the game.
Link to video: https://drive.google.com/file/d/16jdEjkjDX5Ipljq6dGgBNZORCpuZF9lr/view

At the end of the video you can ear that the click doesn't stop only gets slower...
It's not the HDD i got close to it and could tell the noise was coming from another component, it's also not any of the fans 馃槙

Sounds like coil whine to me coming from the graphics card.聽

CPU Cooler Tier List|| Motherboard VRMs Tier List||Motherboard Beep & POST Codes|| Graphics Card Tier List||PSU Tier List

Main System Specifications:聽

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||聽聽CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler||聽RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18聽 ||Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570聽 ||聽聽SSD: Samsung 970聽EVO聽1TB聽M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)||聽聽HDD:聽2X Western Digital聽Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)聽 ||GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT聽 || 聽PSU: EVGA P2 1600W聽 ||聽聽Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow||聽聽Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE聽RGB聽 ||聽聽Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky聽Switches聽 || 聽Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL||聽聽Monitor:ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34"聽

Just now, CommanderAlex said:

Sounds like coil whine to me coming from the graphics card.聽

Does that indicate the card is dying or it's normal, the card is the only old component here it's a 1080 TI but was unused for most of it's life.

2 minutes ago, ShadoWalkeR said:

Coil whine is normal and does not affect the performance or reliability of the graphics card. The noise is from transformers/inductors vibrating at a frequency that falls within the human range of hearing, about 20Hz to 20,000Hz.聽

CPU Cooler Tier List|| Motherboard VRMs Tier List||Motherboard Beep & POST Codes|| Graphics Card Tier List||PSU Tier List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||聽聽CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler||聽RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18聽 ||Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570聽 ||聽聽SSD: Samsung 970聽EVO聽1TB聽M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)||聽聽HDD:聽2X Western Digital聽Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)聽 ||GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT聽 || 聽PSU: EVGA P2 1600W聽 ||聽聽Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow||聽聽Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE聽RGB聽 ||聽聽Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky聽Switches聽 || 聽Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL||聽聽Monitor:ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34"聽

Just now, CommanderAlex said:

Oh nice, never had this happen to me... All good then Thank You 馃槃

Just now, ShadoWalkeR said:

Oh nice, never had this happen to me... All good then Thank You 馃槃

No problem!! Every graphics card I've had so far, 1070 to 2080 to 6900XT, has have some sort of coil whine.聽

One thing you can do is just increase the case fans to overcome the noise possibly, or wear a headset/headphones. There are also more in depth ways to try and dampen the coils to prevent them from producing noise, but I wouldn't want to risk breaking a graphics card in this current graphics card shortage.聽