Need help for Prebuilt PC Upgrade

Kaiser m

Budget (including currency): 200$ - 500$

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: gaming and programing

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

I just bought a prebuilt pc since GPU shortage, and it is pretty creepy beside 3080 and 5600x, so could you please give me some advice to boost it up. Here is its spac:

• OMEN 30L Desktop GT13-1380z CTO PC
  • CKIT HP CTO OMEN 21C1 US
  • 21C1 Cycle AV
  • NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3080 (10 GB GDDR6X dedicated)
  • WD Black 256 GB PCIe® NVMe™ TLC M.2 SSD
  • BU RCTO OMN HANA 30L PREM B550 US
  • No HDD
  • Front Bezel Shadow Black Glass, Dark Chrome Logo+ Side Cover Glass with Cooler Master 800 W Gold efficiency power supply
  • HyperX® 8 GB DDR4-3200 RGB SDRAM (1 x 8 GB)
  • Realtek 802.11a/b/g/n/ac (2x2) Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth® 5 combo
  • Windows 11 Home 64
  • OSLOC US
  • AMD Ryzen™ 5 5600X W/RGB Air Cooling(3.7 GHz up to 4.6 GHz, 32 MB L3 cache, 6 cores)
  • MISC HEVC MEDIA EXTENSION HP

Motherboard Spac: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c07052271

Memory upgrade information:

Dual channel (2 DIMMs per channel) memory architecture

Four DDR4 UDIMM (288-pin) sockets

Supports up to PC4-25600 (DDR4-3200)

Supports 8 GB and 16 GB DDR4 UDIMMs

Supports up to 4 GB on 32-bit systems

Expansion slots

One PCI Express 4.0 x16 lanes

One PCI Express 3.0 x1 lanes

One M.2 socket 1, key A

Two M.2 socket 3, key M (for SSD card PCIe x4 Gen 3)

The obvous first step would be getting another 8GB of RAM... 8GB is on the low side these days, most applications/games benefit from having up to 16GB, and another module will allow you to run in dual channel mode, doubling the bandwidth. 

After that, I'd say check your temps with HWInfo, is your CPU and/or GPU throttling due to high temperatures? The CPU cooler that comes with these prebuilts is usually very basic, so it might not be able to keep the 5600X at ideal temperatures. Before replacing the CPU cooler, check for compatability though... The mainboard may not have standard AM4 mounting points, not enough clearance with RAM or other components, and also the case might not allow for very big tower coolers.

If your GPU temps are high, get more case fans for better airflow (if that case even has any more mounting points for fans), as replacing the cooler on a GPU is much more complicated, and a custom loop watercooling is probably not what you're looking for.

And finally for a free performance upgrade: make sure to remove all the bloatware that comes on those prebuilts out of the box, they can slow down the system quite a bit, especially when you're already constrained on RAM or don't have a very fast CPU.

Add in another 8GB stick of RAM - ~$40

Add a 2TB HDD - ~$50

Maybe a new motherboard since IIRC HP have power throttling issues (they might've fixed recently, who knows) - ~$150

15 minutes ago, Alvin853 said:

The obvous first step would be getting another 8GB of RAM... 8GB is on the low side these days, most applications/games benefit from having up to 16GB, and another module will allow you to run in dual channel mode, doubling the bandwidth. 

Thank you very much, since HyperX® 8 GB somehow really expansive which is about 60$. so I am planning to get a 2*16 RAM instead, and for the temps, I have to wait until I get this pc around Nov 10 to check it 🤣