GTX 960 vs Ryzen APU

ADarkBard

I'm planning my next PC build and don't want to wait for GPU prices to return to earth. My current system has a Nvidia GTX 960, should I get a Ryzen 7 5700G until I can get a GPU or go with an X series CPU and use my 960?

2 minutes ago, ADarkBard said:

I'm planning my next PC build and don't want to wait for GPU prices to return to earth. My current system has a Nvidia GTX 960, should I get a Ryzen 7 5700G until I can get a GPU or go with an X series CPU and use my 960?

The 5700G's APU competes more with the GT1030 than with the GTX 960. Keep your current card and run it and get a 5800X instead.

2GB or 4GB 960? What cooler? Are you Overclocking it? 2GB cards are going to have a harder time with modern games, if it's a 4GB 960 with a decent cooler you're probably better off running that than something else. I have an EVGA GTX 960 4GB FTW something or other in my HTPC for some hardware acceleration for video upscaling. I have overclocked it in the past for some benchmark runs and you can get another ~10% out of them, maybe a little more. My HTPC chassis is pretty stifled so I run it on the silent BIOS and stock clocks since that's enough compute power to upscale 720P to 1080P and run the sharpening and color filters.

15 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

The 5700G's APU competes more with the GT1030 than with the GTX 960. Keep your current card and run it and get a 5800X instead.

Thanks, I think that's the route I'll go for now.

960 all the way.... even a 2 gb version would smoke an apu... 960 is ddr 5 apu is ddr 4

I have seen several comparisons with apu and 1030 and the 1030 always wins.... A 960 would smoke a 1030...

IIRC a 960 can beat a t 1050ti....

I had a 2 gb 960 , and it is just OK, I recently sold it on ebay and bought a 970 which is a  much better card.and manage to buy it local and basic upgraded for free