Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is Nick the boss of Linus?

genisboy

Linus mentioned Nick during the WAN show.  I've seen him before and know his function is pretty high. But I thought Linus was the boss of LMG. So how does he have the final say on Video projects like The TRUMP PC?

Also, Is Nick one of the early investors in LMG? How did he get that high of a position without being a relative?

No he's not. He's the COO. Or technically the second in command and is the highest ranked person after Linus (if we only consider LMG and not Floatplane... And don't consider Yvonne who, while she is "just" the CFO, she's also Linus's wife, so technically her words would probably hold more weight in the company if she says it's from Linus, but position wise, it's Nick who is second)

As for why he gets "final say", it depends on the project and how much "hands on" Linus is on it. Linus can also forget things and Nick's job is to remind him to say / not say something.

Or at least, that's my interpretation of it based on the job titles and what we know thus far. If someone at LMG can confirm or deny this stuff, their words are worth more than mine.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600 / GPU: Radeon HD7970 GHz 3GB(upgrade pending) / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Is Nick one of the early investors in LMG? How did he get that high of a position without being a relative?

1 minute ago, genisboy said:

How did he get that high of a position without being a relative?

Hard work, presumably. Same way the other people in high positions at LMG got those positions - including Linus' wife Yvonne.

Edited by Spotty

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 minute ago, genisboy said:

Is Nick one of the early investors in LMG? How did he get that high of a position without being a relative?

Qualifiactions and skill? Also, why does it matter?

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

1 minute ago, Spotty said:

Hard work, presumably.

I don't think so. Luke like literally lived in the warehouse and he isn't that high on the food chain. 

4 minutes ago, genisboy said:

I don't think so. Luke like literally lived in the warehouse and he isn't that high on the food chain. 

Luke is the CTO if I remember correctly.

Any 3 letters position that starts with C is directly below CEO and their positions are practically "equal" as far as food chain goes, only the responsibilities changes. He's still "top management", like Yvonne and Nick.

Or maybe he's the COO of Floatplane now.

Spoiler

CEO CFO CMO CTO COO EA Customer Service Marketing Manager - ppt download

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600 / GPU: Radeon HD7970 GHz 3GB(upgrade pending) / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

2 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Luke is the CTO if I remember correctly.

Any 3 letters position that starts with C is directly below CEO and their positions are practically "equal" as far as food chain goes, only the responsibilities changes.

CEO CFO CMO CTO COO EA Customer Service Marketing Manager - ppt download

Thanks for the chart. Very informative.

Iirc, Linus has mentioned before that he wants the company to be able to function even when he's not around, one of the main ways to achieve that would be not to relegate all the decision making/final say powers to him alone.

[Insert stuff about working as a team and so on]

51 minutes ago, genisboy said:

That's not how things work.

49 minutes ago, genisboy said:

Luke is not part of LMG.

Nick was hired fairly early on, but he's not an investor. Linus has explained before LMG is owned by himself, his wife and some undisclosed relatives (who, AFAIK, did invest in the company) and logically any other people at LMG are "just" employees. Luke is one of the 4 original LMG employees the company started with (the others are Brandon and Andy IIRC. And of course Linus himself 😛 ) and as 'reward' for his work Luke was "kicked out" at LMG and got to run Floatplane instead.

Other early employees include Taran, Edsel, Dennis, Jon and Colton, but he's been fired so many times one has to wonder if he's a masochist of sorts returning every time 😉

Looking at the employee gallery on LMG, I noticed Special Agent Janice is not/no longer listed. I hope she's doing well, whether at LMG or elsewhere.

48 minutes ago, genisboy said:

Luke like literally lived in the warehouse and he isn't that high on the food chain. 

You trolling, right? Luke is CTO of Floatplane, I'd say that's quite high in the chain :old-eyeroll:  As a matter of fact, he doesn't actually work for LMG anymore, as outlined above.

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

1 hour ago, genisboy said:

This question is quite unnecessary, and very presumptuous to male. I think you need to sit down and educate yourself on how people get high level C positions.  

I'm not mocking you just, this irritates me. I was a COO of a company and I got that through proving myself not being a relative. 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "the best way to learn is to teach" ~ Benjamin Jantz

I am a StarCitizen are you? My ships: Aegis Eclipse, Aegis Sabre, Aegis Gladius, Aopoa Nox, KI P52 Merlin, KI P72 Archimedes and the RSI Constellation Aquila.

My phones are a Samsung Note 20 and a Samsung S9+

🇺🇸   About Myself:   https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/229093-sansvarnic/?tab=field_core_pfield_46   🇺🇸

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1 hour ago, lewdicrous said:

I mean.. Nepotism is a thing that happens often.

But in this case, that is certainly not how things work at LMG as far as we know.

You are an outsider, your opinion is subjective, not factual or objective.

Vans UltraRange EXO SE

No, he is not founder. Founders are Linus, Yvonne, Luke and Edzel. And as anyone with modern society should, with work and skills.

1 hour ago, rickeo said:

What does being a relative have to do with your position in a company? 

In some countries that and doing special favors (aka kissing of the a) is only or sure way to get to top positions.

1 hour ago, lewdicrous said:

Luke is not part of LMG.

While correct, this is bit misleading. FPM and LMG are sister companies operated by same holding company. And when he lived in the warehouse, he was still part of LMG.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

7 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

I mean.. Nepotism is a thing that happens often.

But in this case, that is certainly not how things work at LMG as far as we know.

Yeah, that certainly is. I was gonna mention it, but that's a rabbit hole that might reinforce that idea, so I chose to ignore it.

1 minute ago, LogicalDrm said:

While correct, this is bit misleading. FPM and LMG are sister companies operated by same holding company.

That's news to me.

2 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

And when he lived in the warehouse, he was still part of LMG.

The way I understood OPs post was "Luke lived in the warehouse, yet he isn't one of the top employees at LMG", hence why I said he isn't part of LMG.

10 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

The way I understood OPs post was "Luke lived in the warehouse, yet he isn't one of the top employees at LMG", hence why I said he isn't part of LMG.

Yeah... Turns out that you can become C-title by just crashing at your bosses office.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Yeah... Turns out that you can become C-title by just crashing at your bosses office.

dang i should start sleeping at work more /s

-Phoenix-  -VouwFabriek-

BlackMac Woody Clack Virtuality Lil'Lad Plot-Device

all your proteins are belong to us.

1 hour ago, rickeo said:

What does being a relative have to do with your position in a company? 

There are 100% still companies and employers out there, where it is easier to get a job if you know someone or if you are related to someone who already works there.

Desktop: i9-10850K [Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black] | Asus ROG Strix Z490-E | G.Skill Trident Z 2x16GB 3600mhz 16-16-16-36 | Asus ROG Strix RTX 3080Ti OC | SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Gold 1000W | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | CoolerMaster MasterCase H500 ARGB | Win 10

Display: ASUS VG248QE

Laptop: LenovoY70-70 | i7-4820hq | 16GB 1600mhz | GTX 960M 4GB | Linux Ubuntu 18.04

1 hour ago, Dutch_Master said:

4 original LMG employees the company started with (the others are Brandon and Andy IIRC.

i think its edzel and not andy, andy is fairly new, first show up on camera when ltt doing a vids on SHARP 8k tv or somwthing...

Audio Interface I/O LIST v2

Microphone

Wilbupdate evercouplmonth

1 minute ago, Freakwise said:

i think its edzel and not andy, andy is fairly new, first show up on camera when ltt doing a vids on SHARP 8k tv or somwthing...

First appearance on camera does not equate to first working for LMG. In fact, Linus told us several times new employees in their probation time do NOT appear on camera and in several vids those have been blurred out. More importantly, no-one gets camera time if (s)he doesn't want to! Madison was a bit of an exception, she already appeared in ROG rig reboot 2 yrs prior, there was an ongoing meme of hiring her on the forum (and perhaps on social media, but I don't use that so can't tell) and her job at LMG essentially is making contact with people via said social media. Btw, it's nice to notice her develop from essentially a teen into a professional in respects to her behaviour. Very immature at ROG rig reboot, now much more responsible and "grown-up". Well, as far as LMG's Zoomer employees are "grown-up" 😉

Anyway, I was wrong as @LogicalDrm stated Edzel and Yvonne as founding members of LMG besides Linus and Luke. Brandon and Andy are early employees though.

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

4 minutes ago, Dutch_Master said:

Brandon and Andy are early employees though.

Andy is rather new actually. He has been with LMG just for couple of years. Just check the moving vlogs, those are the early hires. Most of them still working for the company.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

6 hours ago, SansVarnic said:

This question is quite necessary, and very presumptuous to male.

I have no idea what this means but if it is meant as something bad then i'll reply to you with "you can go male yourself".