i am confused how windows licences work

Indian pc builder
Go to solution Solved by Alex Atkin UK,
7 minutes ago, Indian pc builder said:

because i did buy my own copy of windows and linked it to my Microsoft account and am trying to figure out if i need to buy one more for my new rig or can i use the same one in both places or can i transfer the old one to the new pc

They already answered that, if it was a retail license then yes you can transfer it to the other device but no you cannot use it on both at the same time, the old PC will become deactivated after activating the new one.

I'm not aware of any specific benefit of linking it to your Microsoft account, although I do know when I ran out of reactivations they could see I had been a long time user migrating from PC to PC and were happy to re-issue a new license.

ok so i know how to buy a licence and use it but i am confused as per the advantage of linking it to my Microsoft account, does that mean i can swap out components and as long as my Microsoft account is on the pc, the licence will be active, also does this mean i can log on to un-activated windows on a new rig with my Microsoft account and still get windows on it without have to buy another licence? what if i remove my old computer with activated windows on it from my Microsoft account then log in to a new one, will i be able to transfer the windows licence?

Imagine everything i have written in a Linus Voice/ linus tone (Spock live long and prosper gif here ,idk why tho, i guess i just want to say that i like star trek and am waiting for new seasons of the ongoing shows), But seriously, a lot of what i type only makes sense when said in a Linus tone from an older ltt video (circa 2017-2019 & now 2024-onwards) basically before he got a beard and a lot of it should make sense even in a Linus with a beard face.

also note as per the latest typing test on my laptop, my accuracy is 69%

I'm not weird/creepy, I'm just observant I have ADHD and am not on any meds for it.

Okay  a license only applies to one PC at a time. The advantage of linking your license to your account is if you ever switch MOBO or build another computer and don't need a full win license on the old system/MOBO you can move that license to the new system.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

There are two kinds of Windows licenses (at least as far as my knowledge goes).

1. Retail license.

2. OEM license (OEM = Original equipment manufacturer)

With a Retail license, you pay the full box price (usually) and it's your license forever. Retail licenses are basically tied to your Microsoft account and anytime you assemble a new PC, or buy a pre-built PC, or buy any Windows device and you want to install a fresh instance of a genuine copy of Windows, you will be able to do so without worrying about the licensing issue. Once you start installing it will prompt you to enter the key that came with your purchase, or if you have already used it on another device, you can click on 'I don't have a key' and use the same Microsoft account that contains the key, to complete the process and start using it.  

With an OEM license, they are generally distributed to people who sell a fully-built PC (Like Dell, Lenovo, HP etc.). These are activated only once, and they are tied to the device you purchase. If in the future, you wish to buy a new device and want to install a genuine copy of Windows, the key that was part of your previous device cannot be used for your new device. For this reason, OEM keys are significantly cheaper compared to a retail copy. 

I hope whatever I have written is correct, but in case if it's not, please feel free to correct me.

1 minute ago, methodG said:

There are two kinds of Windows licenses (at least as far as my knowledge goes).

1. Retail license.

2. OEM license (OEM = Original equipment manufacturer)

With a Retail license, you pay the full box price (usually) and it's your license forever. Retail licenses are basically tied to your Microsoft account and anytime you assemble a new PC, or buy a pre-built PC, or buy any Windows device and you want to install a fresh instance of a genuine copy of Windows, you will be able to do so without worrying about the licensing issue. Once you start installing it will prompt you to enter the key that came with your purchase, or if you have already used it on another device, you can click on 'I don't have a key' and use the same Microsoft account that contains the key, to complete the process and start using it.  

With an OEM license, they are generally distributed to people who sell a fully-built PC (Like Dell, Lenovo, HP etc.). These are activated only once, and they are tied to the device you purchase. If in the future, you wish to buy a new device and want to install a genuine copy of Windows, the key that was part of your previous device cannot be used for your new device. For this reason, OEM keys are significantly cheaper compared to a retail copy. 

I hope whatever I have written is correct, but in case if it's not, please feel free to correct me.

i am just trying to figure out if after linking the licence to my Microsoft account, after i bought it, will allow me to use it on 2 devices at once

Imagine everything i have written in a Linus Voice/ linus tone (Spock live long and prosper gif here ,idk why tho, i guess i just want to say that i like star trek and am waiting for new seasons of the ongoing shows), But seriously, a lot of what i type only makes sense when said in a Linus tone from an older ltt video (circa 2017-2019 & now 2024-onwards) basically before he got a beard and a lot of it should make sense even in a Linus with a beard face.

I'm not weird/creepy, I'm just observant I have ADHD and am not on any meds for it.

because i did buy my own copy of windows and linked it to my Microsoft account and am trying to figure out if i need to buy one more for my new rig or can i use the same one in both places or can i transfer the old one to the new pc

that is the scenario i am trying to figure out

7 minutes ago, Indian pc builder said:

They already answered that, if it was a retail license then yes you can transfer it to the other device but no you cannot use it on both at the same time, the old PC will become deactivated after activating the new one.

I'm not aware of any specific benefit of linking it to your Microsoft account, although I do know when I ran out of reactivations they could see I had been a long time user migrating from PC to PC and were happy to re-issue a new license.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

ok thx