MSI GF65 thin temps +95c (FIX)

J3RX LMNtrix
Go to solution Solved by J3RX LMNtrix,
On 10/15/2021 at 3:13 AM, jaslion said:

World of warships is a very easy to run game and isn't heavily threaded so your system doesn't have to put much effort into it.

Battlefield on the other hand can literally 100% your entire system and then some so the heatload goes up like crazy.

Don't remove the back panel that will break your laptop due to shorting something, structural integrity issues (no joke typing on a thin laptop without the back literally can bend them), parts coming loose,... Just don't do that it has enough vents as is.

Userbenchmark is bs so don't trust it.

Your issue literally is a laptop with a weaker cooler that has a too high energy consumption and heat load cpu in it. There is nothing you can do about it that you haven't already done or are going to do with the thermal paste (please don't do liquid metal in a laptop its a bad idea).

It's a situation you just can't win. Best you can do is lower the power target in windows to something like 80% for the cpu and forcibly make it run slower so it gets less hot.

**WHAT TO DO** So I had just replaced factory paste for grizzly thermal on cpu and gpu of course! the factory paste was just AWFUL look at my above *edited post!!! after replacing factory paste and clearing out the debree in the fans. When running heaven benchmark (lowest graphics & everything turned off for lowest quality my temps use to run 80c on cpu and 70c on GPU i just ran benchmark and just by already noticing the fans blowing out 2x as much air as it was when i first got this laptop 8 months ago i figured it dropped some but i didnt realize how much it was going to drop! -20c on the CPU and -10c on the GPU (same settings)! Just make sure to take apart fans to clean thoroughly and i highly recommend obviously is to get a single gram of grizzly kyronaut thermal paste on amazon (1 gram should last for 5-10 applications of both cpu and gpu). i also have new OwlTree thermal pads on the way those should help by another couple celciius or so since i re-used these factory pads one being all dried up and a couples being ripped and torn from copper pipe removal! GUYS IF YOU OWN ONE OF THESE PERSONAL HOUSE HEATERS  I DONT CARE WHAT ANYONE SAYS REPLACE FACTORY THERMAL PASTE AND PADS I SEE EVERYONE WHO DOES SO DROP UP TO 20c AND THIS IS PROOF!! I have seriously got to say i am mind-blown! The temps and system air intake and discharge are both 25-40% better than when i first got this laptop!
image.thumb.png.bc2d636c824db8c02b49a25c2cd48bcb.png

I need help I have no knowledge at all with computers and I have tried everything reinstalling windows 10 now 11 several times, etc. I have A 08/2020 MSI GF65 thin 10SDR-645 with a GTX 1660Ti 8gb 2666MHz ram (have 2x8gb sticks on the way) 512GB Kingston SSD i7-10750H

i turned off turbo and put a undervolt with throttle stop on cpu core and cache of -110.6 and tuned all turbo ratios to 38 and turned on speed shift and speed step turned everything in bios is default besides having overclock on and the overclock lock off aswell as XTU enabled, maximum processor state is at 50% minimum 100% max for it in ultimate performance mode though it seems like this one decreases temps most, used msi afterburner setting memory clock -500.2 and core clock to +175 to get the lowest temps for some reason putting core clock under 0 raises temps or I’m just doing it wrong, cpu core sits at around .65-.75v 2100w in game but at 95-105c and gpu around .7-.8v 1700w and sits around 90c up to 95 on battlefield 2042! I am forced to keep cooler booster on when running games and I have it set to user to either “medium or high” and cooler booster on. I have ordered grizzly kryonaut thermal paste and a single 120x20x2mm grizzly kryonaut pad to hopefully drop these temps but I’ve been doing research and people are saying even repaste sometimes isn’t working! What can I do to lower these temps I have tried everything! Even in advanced system settings I have the animations or whatever it is set to max performance! I’ve only have this laptop since February 2021 this year 

You have a thin laptop with a weak cooler that has a EXTREMELY HOT cpu. So yeah recipe for disaster. Thermal paste won't fix a bad cooler.

This device was known to overheat when it was brand new. There is nothing you can do it is just a laptop with a bad cooler.

Next time when buying I recommend you really look for some in depth reviews (notebookcheck is great for that) and get a laptop that doesn't run near or at max temp when brand new. Also can always ask for advice here.

54 minutes ago, jaslion said:

You have a thin laptop with a weak cooler that has a EXTREMELY HOT cpu. So yeah recipe for disaster. Thermal paste won't fix a bad cooler.

This device was known to overheat when it was brand new. There is nothing you can do it is just a laptop with a bad cooler.

Next time when buying I recommend you really look for some in depth reviews (notebookcheck is great for that) and get a laptop that doesn't run near or at max temp when brand new. Also can always ask for advice here.

Just today I tried for world of warships it usually runs around 70-75w lowest graphics, I have a giant room fan I threw on computer yesterday with that, undervolt, and having the computer and cooling pad raised into the air 3 inches, cooler booster on of course and turbo off it runs at 58-65 so there has to be some way to decrease these temps I might just take back of case off and run this big ass fan that freezes the heck out of me just to get these low temps cause the new battlefield runs at yea 90-95c on gpu and game lag due to throttle, what crazy or even just normal ideas to honestly bring down these temps cause I want this laptop to last me atleast 3 years currently playing on it like 8-12 hours a day!!  oh and I ran a userbenchmark and cpu keeps coming back to like anywhere from 3% to 20% with anywhere from 3-25% background usage a Kingston SSD around 20-50% not sure if this has to do with anything 

1 hour ago, J3RX LMNtrix said:

Just today I tried for world of warships it usually runs around 70-75w lowest graphics, I have a giant room fan I threw on computer yesterday with that, undervolt, and having the computer and cooling pad raised into the air 3 inches, cooler booster on of course and turbo off it runs at 58-65 so there has to be some way to decrease these temps I might just take back of case off and run this big ass fan that freezes the heck out of me just to get these low temps cause the new battlefield runs at yea 90-95c on gpu and game lag due to throttle, what crazy or even just normal ideas to honestly bring down these temps cause I want this laptop to last me atleast 3 years currently playing on it like 8-12 hours a day!!  oh and I ran a userbenchmark and cpu keeps coming back to like anywhere from 3% to 20% with anywhere from 3-25% background usage a Kingston SSD around 20-50% not sure if this has to do with anything 

World of warships is a very easy to run game and isn't heavily threaded so your system doesn't have to put much effort into it.

Battlefield on the other hand can literally 100% your entire system and then some so the heatload goes up like crazy.

Don't remove the back panel that will break your laptop due to shorting something, structural integrity issues (no joke typing on a thin laptop without the back literally can bend them), parts coming loose,... Just don't do that it has enough vents as is.

Your issue literally is a laptop with a weaker cooler that has a too high energy consumption and heat load cpu in it. There is nothing you can do about it that you haven't already done or are going to do with the thermal paste (please don't do liquid metal in a laptop its a bad idea).

It's a situation you just can't win. Best you can do is lower the power target in windows to something like 80% for the cpu and forcibly make it run slower so it gets less hot.

**UPDATE - I had just tore my MSI GF65 10SDR apart as my thermal paste is arriving today. I kind of already had the feeling the factory paste was going to be bad but just OML!!!! This is just horrible, look at the CPU there is nothing on that thing, and as for GPU look at the copper pipes where the gpu sits under you can see that square tells me they just stamp the paste on and smash together. The paste itself is all almost rock hard and just all clumped up on the sides of the chips literally all the factory paste is not on the chips but just on the sides! this is just horrid.

560C808C-7542-4124-ABEA-E88593A74BDD.jpeg

ok i am just BLOWN AWAY, these are my result after blowing out whatever debree came from factory that was in the exhaust ports the computer has never ran this cool not have the fans ever gave this much air flow while running this benchmarking tool enigene heaven benchmark! This program use to run my computer up to 85-90c (lowest graphics setting WITH undervolt) now with no undervolt still on lowest graphics setting and its now running at a whopping 68c on GPU and 62c on CPU the temps have FINALLY dropped by an insane 20c about!!!!!image.thumb.png.fb0b597831c7f732e9f6b487106f1dc8.png

On 10/15/2021 at 3:13 AM, jaslion said:

**WHAT TO DO** So I had just replaced factory paste for grizzly thermal on cpu and gpu of course! the factory paste was just AWFUL look at my above *edited post!!! after replacing factory paste and clearing out the debree in the fans. When running heaven benchmark (lowest graphics & everything turned off for lowest quality my temps use to run 80c on cpu and 70c on GPU i just ran benchmark and just by already noticing the fans blowing out 2x as much air as it was when i first got this laptop 8 months ago i figured it dropped some but i didnt realize how much it was going to drop! -20c on the CPU and -10c on the GPU (same settings)! Just make sure to take apart fans to clean thoroughly and i highly recommend obviously is to get a single gram of grizzly kyronaut thermal paste on amazon (1 gram should last for 5-10 applications of both cpu and gpu). i also have new OwlTree thermal pads on the way those should help by another couple celciius or so since i re-used these factory pads one being all dried up and a couples being ripped and torn from copper pipe removal! GUYS IF YOU OWN ONE OF THESE PERSONAL HOUSE HEATERS  I DONT CARE WHAT ANYONE SAYS REPLACE FACTORY THERMAL PASTE AND PADS I SEE EVERYONE WHO DOES SO DROP UP TO 20c AND THIS IS PROOF!! I have seriously got to say i am mind-blown! The temps and system air intake and discharge are both 25-40% better than when i first got this laptop!

11 hours ago, J3RX LMNtrix said:

Clogged fans cleaning + replacing dried up thermal paste in a brand new laptop (how did they mess that up even) will do that for you.

On 10/17/2021 at 2:35 AM, jaslion said:

Clogged fans cleaning + replacing dried up thermal paste in a brand new laptop (how did they mess that up even) will do that for you.

For a laptop not even a year old both from its release date and the day I got it you’d expect the vents would be cleared and clean!! Thermal paste hell the CPUs just dried up there literally is almost nothing on that thing and yea somehow there was literally an entire WALL of debree clogging 2 of the 3 heat sinks which it came to me like that if he to of there is no explanation, it’s scientifically impossible with where I place my laptop to have gained that much debree my old computer I had for 4 years, that I never cleaned had less debree and such than what this thing had!!!! I’m getting 2 to 3 times the air flow then from day 1. This laptop stays on my desk that I wipe down every morning clearing all dust from surface of desk. I also throw 4 pegs under laptop allowing laptop to rest an inch and a half into the air for sufficient air intake! 

3 hours ago, J3RX LMNtrix said:

For a laptop not even a year old both from its release date and the day I got it you’d expect the vents would be cleared and clean!!

No that is a wrongful expectation. In a regular home environment it is quite easy for a laptop that is used for 3 hours a day (especially thin one) to get clogged. Make it a more dusty enviroment like a bedroom or something and boom that thing will be full in no time. It's why in a lot of manuals and such they mention periodic maintenance.

Cleaning out laptops is one of my primary tasks when I do my computer repair side job. Because basically nobody knows you actually have to do that. Then they come get it and suddenly their old gaming laptop that is still really good, office computer,... is really fast in their tasks again often by just a simple clean out that takes 20 minutes (most is just opening the dang things).

it’s scientifically impossible with where I place my laptop to have gained that much debree my old computer I had for 4 years

It's not. Your old one probably had a much less dense fin array. These msi's due to their size need a VERY DENSE fin array and thus dust gets caught way more easily.

This laptop stays on my desk that I wipe down every morning clearing all dust from surface of desk. I also throw 4 pegs under laptop allowing laptop to rest an inch and a half into the air for sufficient air intake! 

You do everything correctly but as you just said there there is dust on the table every day so that means you are in a pretty dusty enviroment. Combine that with a good air moving fan through a dense heatsink and bam a clogged heatsink.

The thermal paste literally being a crust is very odd but there was 100% more than enough on there. Just very cheap and bad thermal paste from the factory basically.

But now you know that you should really clean it at least once a year.

13 hours ago, jaslion said:

No that is a wrongful expectation. In a regular home environment it is quite easy for a laptop that is used for 3 hours a day (especially thin one) to get clogged. Make it a more dusty enviroment like a bedroom or something and boom that thing will be full in no time. It's why in a lot of manuals and such they mention periodic maintenance.

Cleaning out laptops is one of my primary tasks when I do my computer repair side job. Because basically nobody knows you actually have to do that. Then they come get it and suddenly their old gaming laptop that is still really good, office computer,... is really fast in their tasks again often by just a simple clean out that takes 20 minutes (most is just opening the dang things).

It's not. Your old one probably had a much less dense fin array. These msi's due to their size need a VERY DENSE fin array and thus dust gets caught way more easily.

You do everything correctly but as you just said there there is dust on the table every day so that means you are in a pretty dusty enviroment. Combine that with a good air moving fan through a dense heatsink and bam a clogged heatsink.

The thermal paste literally being a crust is very odd but there was 100% more than enough on there. Just very cheap and bad thermal paste from the factory basically.

But now you know that you should really clean it at least once a year.

Actually those are the MOST appropriate expectations any gaming user could expect when buying a brand new gaming laptop for the vents to be cleared and not clogged, like I stated above the fans are blowing 2x to 3x MORE AIR then the day I first got this thing. As I just said above, I clean my desk every day, there is not a single spec of dust I make sure my room is CLEAN!!! I make sure ZERO dust gets near my running laptop and as I said I throw it an inch and half into the air aswell so whatever dust that gets picked up throughout the day if any, doesn’t get sucked up in there! No animals so there isn’t hair all over the place and as I stated above I clean/dust desk daily and entire room twice weekly! There is no REASON in the world from the day I first got this thing to today it should of been running at 80-90c with weak air flow on max fan speed, now it’s a damn hurricane and with there being good paste and actual paste on the surface of my cpu and gpu I dropped 20-45c (depending what I’m doing) seeing a temp decrease of FOURTY FIVE IS INSANE!!! And boy am I happy! **HIGHLY SUGGEST ANYONE WHO BUYS AN MSI LAPTOP TO CHECK THE FANS WHEN YOU FIRST GET LAPTOP (if bought on Amazon that’s where I bought)**

14 hours ago, J3RX LMNtrix said:

Actually those are the MOST appropriate expectations any gaming user could expect when buying a brand new gaming laptop for the vents to be cleared and not clogged, like I stated above the fans are blowing 2x to 3x MORE AIR then the day I first got this thing.

Again it's a wrong expectation as most brands put it in their manual or warranty card somewhere that regular maintenance is required to have continued good operation.

Dust gets everywhere and is everywhere just because you don't see it it isn't there.

You however did say a VERY important piece of information here just now

14 hours ago, J3RX LMNtrix said:

There is no REASON in the world from the day I first got this thing to today it should of been running at 80-90c with weak air flow on max fan speed

I don't think you got a new laptop. But a refurbished or a warranty laptop if you notice that much of a difference but sold as new.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2021 at 3:13 AM, jaslion said:

Again it's a wrong expectation as most brands put it in their manual or warranty card somewhere that regular maintenance is required to have continued good operation.

Dust gets everywhere and is everywhere just because you don't see it it isn't there.

You however did say a VERY important piece of information here just now

I don't think you got a new laptop. But a refurbished or a warranty laptop if you notice that much of a difference but sold as new.

I bought it on Amazon, I bought a $980 **MSI GF65 THIN 9SD-252 I7-9750H GTX1660Ti 8gb 512gb Kingston SSD** what I received was like a $1100 **MSI GF65 THIN 10SDR-675 i7-10750H GTX1660Ti 8gb 512gb Kingston SSD** a laptop that came out just last year so I highly doubt that is the case!

20 hours ago, J3RX LMNtrix said:

I bought it on Amazon, I bought a $980 **MSI GF65 THIN 9SD-252 I7-9750H GTX1660Ti 8gb 512gb Kingston SSD** what I received was like a $1100 **MSI GF65 THIN 10SDR-675 i7-10750H GTX1660Ti 8gb 512gb Kingston SSD** a laptop that came out just last year so I highly doubt that is the case!

Probably an error so hard to say.

Either way the msi heatsink in the gf65 series is notorious for capturing dust so keep a good eye on it.

On 11/1/2021 at 2:31 AM, jaslion said:

Either way the msi heatsink in the gf65 series is notorious for capturing dust so keep a good eye on it.

I’ve noticed, yet they have the warranty sticker on these laptops what a joke 😂 I could care less to be honest I am never going to rma this thing. Oh so did a repaste again other day this time trying the spread method, BEST METHOD FOR APPLYING PASTE, dropped another couple celcius! Also just put in 32gb 2x16s ram and have a 2mm thick heat sink for just my new upgraded SSD since that’s running at 51c idling and up to 80c in game 

On 11/1/2021 at 2:31 AM, jaslion said:

You are never going to believe this not only did I get my temps down by like 20-40c with being able to put fans around 70% I’m now around 40-45c ok freaking 20-30% fan speed. All after putting a little undervolt. Literally at idle temps in game on a damn msi gf65 thin 😂😂 I’m mind blown 

On 11/6/2021 at 5:32 AM, J3RX LMNtrix said:

You are never going to believe this not only did I get my temps down by like 20-40c with being able to put fans around 70% I’m now around 40-45c ok freaking 20-30% fan speed. All after putting a little undervolt. Literally at idle temps in game on a damn msi gf65 thin 😂😂 I’m mind blown 

Oh damn then you got a lucky sample of a 10750h if you got such a good undervolt.

• 1 year later...

i also have the same laptop.... dont care about the cpu getting hot ....... the gpu is a nvidia 3060 and reaches 85 to 95C when i play eve online on 2 monitors, is there a way to jerry rig a liquid cooler somehow ? (im not opposed to using zipties at this point lol) ....just link me the one that is the closest size please .... this is why im a Radeon boy