Samsung 980 (Non-Pro) 500GB SSD Performance Issue

Moltenaus

Hey everyone,

Just installed a 500gb Samsung 980 as my boot drive and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced low than advertised performance?

As you can see the Sequential Read stats are fine but Sequential Write is 600-700 MB/s a lower than I've seen in benchmarks.

This is a fresh windows install with all the latest drivers, SSD is set to Gen 3 in BIOS and is running at PCIe 4.0 and I've tried both M.2 slots.

Specs: 3800x, Asus x570 Prime Pro, 16GB 3600 CL18.

Capture.PNG

I've also noticed after setting up bitlocker than my reads have dropped in half almost, is this normal?

BL.PNG

Cheers

SSD Testing is quite difficult. Theres a reason why most tech reviewer channels dont even bother with it because it varies so much, and even after you get a full review done, 6 months later they can change 1, 2 or all the components and its a completely different product at that point.

2 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

SSD Testing is quite difficult. Theres a reason why most tech reviewer channels dont even bother with it because it varies so much, and even after you get a full review done, 6 months later they can change 1, 2 or all the components and its a completely different product at that point.

Yeah good point, I'm happy enough with the performance and I understand it can be difficult to get the fully advertised speeds but thought I'd double check with others. 
It's a shame that Samsung haven't released their own drivers for the 980 or 980 Pro as that seems to have improved performance for the 970 series of drives.

Bitlocker is encryption, so a performance hit is not unexpected from the overhead it adds.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, porina said:

Bitlocker is encryption, so a performance hit is not unexpected from the overhead it adds.

Thought that would be the case, but is a 50% reduction standard?