Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey, I'm trying to remove the BIOS password on an old ASUS X51L so that I can install Linux on it. I tried removing the CMOS battery but it only reset the time and BIOS settings (presumably) but not the password. When I try to enter setup it asks for password and even if I only try to set default settings it asks me for the password. I cannot get to the OS because when I reset the CMOS it no longer works 😬 (probably a very stupid mistake). I will try to install Windows 7 on it through a different PC but until then I'm stuck.

IMG_20211014_141022408.jpg

IMG_20211014_141034884.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, stormman34 said:

Hey, I'm trying to remove the BIOS password on an old ASUS X51L so that I can install Linux on it. I tried removing the CMOS battery but it only reset the time and BIOS settings (presumably) but not the password.

Yeah, youre SOL in that case, the best case would be to take off the BIOS chip, and replace it with new one and hope other security measure would reset itself.

Remember to press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited comments! Press F5 to do so! | Remember to press that check mark on the right answer that solve your problem! | React to your heart, not peer pressure!

 

"Wow, you want me to say ara ara? Really?"

- Clock Girl

Self Introduction and Current Rig

 

🏳️‍⚧️ Rights

Link to post
Share on other sites

You flash the BIOS ROM with a programmer and that is about all you can do.

mY s YsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??
 HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it?
 MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's
Link to post
Share on other sites

On some systems, you need to reset the BIOS via the reset jumper to get it to remove the password. Is there a jumper on the board for clearing CMOS?

 

Also, on a side note, as someone who recently decommissioned a T3200 laptop with 3GB of RAM, unless you're only going to be writing documents and doing basic browsing on non-JS heavy sites (which is very few) or watching videos at 480p, the T3200 is no longer sufficient, even with Linux.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, YoungBlade said:

On some systems, you need to reset the BIOS via the reset jumper to get it to remove the password. Is there a jumper on the board for clearing CMOS?

 

Also, on a side note, as someone who recently decommissioned a T3200 laptop with 3GB of RAM, unless you're only going to be writing documents and doing basic browsing on non-JS heavy sites (which is very few) or watching videos at 480p, the T3200 is no longer sufficient, even with Linux.

Core 2 stuff in general WITHOUT a ssd and gpu that can provide hardware acceleration is basically dead in the water.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, YoungBlade said:

On some systems, you need to reset the BIOS via the reset jumper to get it to remove the password. Is there a jumper on the board for clearing CMOS?

 

Also, on a side note, as someone who recently decommissioned a T3200 laptop with 3GB of RAM, unless you're only going to be writing documents and doing basic browsing on non-JS heavy sites (which is very few) or watching videos at 480p, the T3200 is no longer sufficient, even with Linux.

on the part that I can see no and it's more for just trying out linux and making it slightly more usable (it had XP) than for daily usage

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jaslion said:

Core 2 stuff in general WITHOUT a ssd and gpu that can provide hardware acceleration is basically dead in the water.

I upgraded the laptop with an SSD, and it had on-board (as in, old-school on the motherboard) Intel graphics. Still wasn't enough. The T3200 was pegged at 100% all the time in web browsing and video playback. Maybe an old Radeon or Nvidia chip could've made it work just barely, but I'd guess it still wouldn't be enough.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, YoungBlade said:

I upgraded the laptop with an SSD, and it had on-board (as in, old-school on the motherboard) Intel graphics. Still wasn't enough. The T3200 was pegged at 100% all the time in web browsing and video playback. Maybe an old Radeon or Nvidia chip could've made it work just barely, but I'd guess it still wouldn't be enough.

Yeah those do not have modern hardware acceleration. None of the laptop device from that time have. I was more talking in general. People can still get their core 2 stuff to go in a desktop if they slap in a simple card like a gt 1030 but it's really just time to let it go.

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

I upgraded the laptop with an SSD, and it had on-board (as in, old-school on the motherboard) Intel graphics. Still wasn't enough. The T3200 was pegged at 100% all the time in web browsing and video playback. Maybe an old Radeon or Nvidia chip could've made it work just barely, but I'd guess it still wouldn't be enough.

Pentiums are crap, bad bin parts so you need to raise the volts quite abit for an oc and basically no cache so rip performance

 

It is socketed with the pink socket so you could prob shove a c2d t9550 or whatever 1066fsb chip with 10 multi and 6mb cache and just search for the pll on your laptop and overclock the thing, you might be able to do pinmod for voltmod but idk much about that since i dont deal with mobile ocing

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Pentiums are crap, bad bin parts so you need to raise the volts quite abit for an oc and basically no cache so rip performance

 

It is socketed with the pink socket so you could prob shove a c2d t9550 or whatever 1066fsb chip with 10 multi and 6mb cache and just search for the pll on your laptop and overclock the thing, you might be able to do pinmod for voltmod but idk much about that since i dont deal with mobile ocing

I just bought a refurbished laptop with an i5 3320M in it. That outperforms a T9550 easily, especially since the refurb has DDR3-1600 memory compared to the DDR2-667 that the old one had.

 

The Core 2 Duos are dead at this point, IMO. A few of the desktop ones that can be overclocked or are clocked out of the box over 3GHz can get by, but just barely.

 

When you can just get a refurb laptop with an old 2c/4t i3 or i5 for $120 or on the desktop, you can find a Core 2 Quad as a drop in upgrade for $15 or less, I see zero reason to put up with the Duos in 2021. They were good chips for the last 15 years, but their era is long over.

Link to post
Share on other sites

<-- Thread Locked -->

 

We can not assist in bypassing any filters or password protected items. You will need to contact the original owner or whoever may have the password for it. 

PSU Tier List Thread

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

 

"White Ice"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | EVGA RTX 2080ti | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-16-36 3600mhz | Custom Water Cooling Loop | 1tb Samsung 970 Evo

2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | 2x 3tb Seagate Drive | Fractal Design Meshify S2 |  EVGA G2 750w PSU | 3x Corsair LL140 | 3x Corsair LL120

 

Dedicated Streaming Rig

 Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 32gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x | EVGA GTX 1060 3gb | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×