Looking for the names of some Network design methodologies

Hello folks,

I'm just wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of any other Network design metodologies other than PPDIOO and ITIL, I would be most appreciative

Cheers

INS

Can I ask why, and what issues you have with the ones you have mentioned?

8 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Can I ask why, and what issues you have with the ones you have mentioned?

I am writing a report on them, these two and possibly bottom up, top down are my other choices, just want to see if I'm looking at the correct things and what else is out there, methodology wise

On 10/14/2021 at 2:14 PM, INS188 said:

I am writing a report on them, these two and possibly bottom up, top down are my other choices, just want to see if I'm looking at the correct things and what else is out there, methodology wise

Ah I see.

I wouldn't really call PPDIOO and ITIL "network design methodologies". When I hear "network design", I think spine-and-leaf, or hierarchical design.

The two you mentioned earlier are what I'd call "life cycle management". Honestly, PPDIOO and ITIL are basically the same thing. PPDIOO is just slightly more granular.

PPDIOO - ITIL

Prepare - Service Strategy

Plan - Service Strategy

Design - Service Design

Implement - Service Transition

Operate - Service Operation

Optimize - Continual Service Improvement

I am not sure if there are any alternatives. It feels like all project management strategies are similar to this, because it's pretty simple, flexible and logical.

Plan your work before you do it.

Do the work.

Make sure everything runs after it is implemented.

But I am probably not the right person to ask about this. A project manager is probably a better fit for this type of question.

On 10/15/2021 at 10:26 PM, LAwLz said:

Ah I see.

I wouldn't really call PPDIOO and ITIL "network design methodologies". When I hear "network design", I think spine-and-leaf, or hierarchical design.

The two you mentioned earlier are what I'd call "life cycle management". Honestly, PPDIOO and ITIL are basically the same thing. PPDIOO is just slightly more granular.

PPDIOO - ITIL

Prepare - Service Strategy

Plan - Service Strategy

Design - Service Design

Implement - Service Transition

Operate - Service Operation

Optimize - Continual Service Improvement

I am not sure if there are any alternatives. It feels like all project management strategies are similar to this, because it's pretty simple, flexible and logical.

Plan your work before you do it.

Do the work.

Make sure everything runs after it is implemented.

But I am probably not the right person to ask about this. A project manager is probably a better fit for this type of question.

That's great,

Thanks for your help, I'm most grateful for it.

When you said heirachical and spine and leaf, it rang some bells like top-down, bottom up.  Then  I looked it up and got confused by the question asked of us and went and spoke with the instructor.

She has clarified that by methodologies she means PPDIOO and not the bottom up, heirachical methods

So, after researching I've come up with PPDIOO, PBM and possibly ITIL and SONA(i'm really not sure about ITIL or SONA) but PPDIOO and PBM are definites, I just need one more

It would be so much easier uo if Cisco didn't seem to have a monopoly on Network Design Methodology google results.

Cheers

INS

PPDIOO - Prepare, Plan, Design, Implement, Operate Optimise

PBM - Plan, Build, Manage

NDLC - Network Development Life Cycle

SDLC - Systems Development Life Cycle

The ones you have listed are lifecycle management methodologies. Network design methodologies are a different thing. For the first you are on the right track.

If you are actually after network designs, then should be looking at things like spine and leaf, three-tiered network architecture, virtualized network designs, layer-3 access designs, etc. Generally these designs are used as part of a lifecycle management methodology.

It would be unusual to ask a open ended question about designs because all of them depend on the network you are trying to cater for.