What switch to buy for home 10Gb/s setup between my NAS and 2 PCs

Uptivuptiz

Hello,

I've been upgrading my network little by little and I have now decided that I want to run 10 Gb/s between my Synology NAS and my 2 other PCs. My plan is to use fiber cables along with SFP+ ports.

I need a switch with at least 3 (ideally 4 so I can expand later) SFP+ ports. It must also have normal RJ45 as it needs to be connected to the rest of the network.

I have been looking around on Google, but I couldn't really find anything. Hence I'm looking for suggestions.

If you have ideas as to how I can do this differently, I'm open to suggestions.

Please mention or quote me if you want a response. :) 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

18 minutes ago, Uptivuptiz said:

Hello,

I've been upgrading my network little by little and I have now decided that I want to run 10 Gb/s between my Synology NAS and my 2 other PCs. My plan is to use fiber cables along with SFP+ ports.

I need a switch with at least 3 (ideally 4 so I can expand later) SFP+ ports. It must also have normal RJ45 as it needs to be connected to the rest of the network.

I have been looking around on Google, but I couldn't really find anything. Hence I'm looking for suggestions.

If you have ideas as to how I can do this differently, I'm open to suggestions.

QNAP QSW-M408S would be a cheap solution for what you want, 4 10 Gigabit SFP+ Ports, 8 Gigabit RJ45 Ports.

Quote or tag me( @SEAL62 ) if you want me to see your reply

consider a reaction if I was funny, informative, helpful, or agreeable

CPU: Intel i9-9900K GPU: Aorus GeForce RTX 3080 Master Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
AIO: Corsair H150i RGB Platinum RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 3000MHz Case: Corsair iCUE 465X RGB PSU: Corsair RM750x White

HP Envy x360 Convertible

CPU: Intel i5-10210U GPU: NVIDIA GeForce MX250 RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2666 SSD: 512GB PCIe

The Microtik CRS305 is fairly well known and reasonably priced (for a NEW switch) : https://www.amazon.com/MikroTik-CRS305-1G-4S-Gigabit-Ethernet-RouterOS/dp/B07LFKGP1L/

Gives you 4 SFP+ ports and 1 RJ45 gigabit port ... and supports Ethernet to SFP+ transceivers... here's an example (but note you may find them cheaper on fs.com or  ebay or other places) : https://www.amazon.com/ipolex-10GBase-T-Transceiver-SFP-10G-T-S-Supermicro/dp/B01M5LIUK5/

But you can connect it to whole network with gigabit , and you can make direct link between your pc and nas through sfp+

Costs $136 plus shipping/taxes if you're not in US

The 9 port version is a bit more expensive at $235 , 8 10g and 1 gigabit rj45 + serial for management alternative to web based : https://www.amazon.com/MikroTik-Desktop-Gigabit-Ethernet-CRS309-1G-8S/dp/B07NFXN4SS/

You got the M408S from Qnap suggested, no idea about price.  There's Qnap M408-4C  at $349 which has 4 combo SFP+/RJ45 10g ports and 8 gigabit ports : https://www.amazon.com/QNAP-QSW-M408-4C-Managed-Switch-Gigabit/dp/B08DKSFXNW/

But I don't think it's worth it... you could just get the 9 port microtik and a transceiver for 10g rj45 and still be cheaper...

Also, if you have that much money you could go for a new old stock / refurbished (basically pulled from datacenter) switch with the downside that they'll be quite power hungry and noisy.

4 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Also, if you have that much money you could go for a new old stock / refurbished (basically pulled from datacenter) switch with the downside that they'll be quite power hungry and noisy.

I thought about buying an old datacenter switch but I'm deploying it in my home so noise is a big factor 🙂 

Thank you both @SEAL62and @mariushmfor the suggestions.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 minute ago, Uptivuptiz said:

I thought about buying an old datacenter switch but I'm deploying it in my home so noise is a big factor 🙂 

Thank you both @SEAL62and @mariushmfor the suggestions.

I personally wouldn't go for a data center one (noise obv, as you mentioned) I think those are just too big of a form factor to use with a NAS. Go for something more home user oriented, noise and size wise.

Quote or tag me( @SEAL62 ) if you want me to see your reply

consider a reaction if I was funny, informative, helpful, or agreeable

CPU: Intel i9-9900K GPU: Aorus GeForce RTX 3080 Master Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
AIO: Corsair H150i RGB Platinum RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 3000MHz Case: Corsair iCUE 465X RGB PSU: Corsair RM750x White

HP Envy x360 Convertible

CPU: Intel i5-10210U GPU: NVIDIA GeForce MX250 RAM: 16 GB DDR4 2666 SSD: 512GB PCIe

20 minutes ago, SEAL62 said:

I personally wouldn't go for a data center one (noise obv, as you mentioned) I think those are just too big of a form factor to use with a NAS. Go for something more home user oriented, noise and size wise.

I meant that I consideret it at one point but dropped the idea because of noise.

I think I wasn't clear enough in my last post. That's my bad 😄

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯