Questions about W11 that I can't find online

Thready

Sorry for the long post. It was supposed to be short but turned into a long post because I have a lot of issues.

I'm a photographer and a struggling writer/educator. My main use for my PC is Adobe and Office. I game, but gaming is my lowest priority. My PC is custom and it meets all the requirements for W11. I can't find anything about W11's performance in Adobe.

Also I can't find info on how it handles 2 different resolution monitors. I use my 2nd monitor for Internet while I work on my primary monitor. I like to maximize and snap windows side by side like I have shown here in the pic, and this is actually really important for my workflow to have multiple tabs open next to each other. I actually can't do my work efficiently without this ability because I drag and drop from window to window.

I have all my work backed up locally and online, and I'm going to run all my backups again before I upgrade. But if W11 somehow fails and I have to reinstall 10, it's going to be a few days until I get all my stuff back on there. What I'm most worried about is W11 not working for my productivity. 

If I upgrade, I was thinking of doing it over the Holidays so if anything goes wrong I have some breathing room with time.

Thanks all

image.png

Photographer, future counselor, computer teacher.

3600X and RTX 2070 with too many storage drives to count. 

All in all, Win11 is not released as full retail version. Its available for enthusiasts, OEMs and testers. Benefits  over Win10 are most likely not worth it, since you already have worries. Why change from something that already works for you? It's not like they will stop supporting Win10 anytime soon.

(Disclaimer: I'm not up to speed on why anyone would want to hurry with upgrade. From Win10 release, first year is filled with issues.)

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I am also a photographer, consultant and serve on a couple of non-profit Boards of Directors.  I also rely on Adobe and Office.  I will NOT be updating to Win 11 until sometime next year.  Win 10 will be fully supported until 2025 which give you a lot of time to stay as is.  While most things are likely to work fine under Win 11, I don't want to be blind sided by the rare program that just won't behave.  There is nothing terribly compelling right now about updating.  This is just my two cents American of course.

If you do want to go down the Win 11 route, I would buy another system drive (assuming your PC can support an additional drive.  One of the reasons I like SSDs over nvme drives is they are far easier to swap in and out of my Fractal Designs case.), clone your OS to the new drive disconnect the original drive and then update to Win 11.  If stuff goes south you still have your original system drive that can easily be used to get you back to where you were.

Workstation PC Specs: CPU - i7 8700K; MoBo - ASUS TUF Z390; RAM - 32GB Crucial; GPU - Gigabyte RTX 1660 Super; PSU - SeaSonic Focus GX 650; Storage - 500GB Samsung EVO, 3x2TB WD HDD;  Case - Fractal Designs R6; OS - Win10

I have upgraded all 4 PCs in my house to Windows 11 without a problem (3 upgrades and 1 clean install). The first was the day of release, the last was 2 days ago.

I also use Adobe (photohop and lightroom) and use 2 monitors with different resolutions. So far I have had zero issues. Dragging windows from one monitor to another, snapping into place, application and gaming performance, everything is roses here.

Can't help with Windows backup though as I save hardly anything locally - I use my NAS or Amazon Drive.

All the best.

Love not hate

As everyone said here, moving to Windows 11 doesn't provide much improvement in productivity, in fact it might be the opposite. I'd say just to wait at least a year so that Windows 11 is stable & Adobe also fix's any bugs which might pop out.

Win11 (or any version release past and future) should ONLY be started to be considered once it hits the official release. Microsoft always has 2 release dates. A soft release, and an official at layer date (a few months later), which always contains a nice set of improvements.

If your system is used for work, I would wait at the very least a year (Win11 is said to have a yearly version update). That is the model I follow for my work system. I can't afford down time. To me, this is like waiting for SP1 of past Windows. By that point a lot of issues are fixed, and all important issues are discovered and fixed. Like the AMD processor performance issues. Unless I really need to a specific feature which would help me for work, like the introduction of WSL and WSL2 later on.

Thanks everyone. I know this forum is mainly gamers so I'm grateful for some productivity people to help me a bit.

Photographer, future counselor, computer teacher.

3600X and RTX 2070 with too many storage drives to count.