RPM of DC fans alternate between a number value to NA in the bios

Franzyngwie

I'm using 3 lian li DC fans that came with the lian lancool 2 mesh rgb case. They are connected to the same CHA_FAN3 header in the asus tuf gaming b550-pro motherboard. When I enter the bios, the RPM of CHA_FAN3 keeps alternating from a number value (example 1000rpm) to the value "NA". The CHA_FAN3 fans are correctly functioning when I visually inspect them. The other fans (1 DC And 2 PWM) that are directly connected to separate mobo fan headers do not have this issue. Is this normal? Any clue on how to solve this?

Did you set CHA_FAN3 to DC mode and the PWM fans to PWM mode ?

I've had speeds not reporting correctly when being too low but 1000rpm is enough.

I guess you daisy chain your 3 DC fans. Only one of those reports its speed to the mobo, maybe switch those fans so another one reports its speed.

You probably have a utility that shows those speeds in Windows, what does it show ?

I'm willing to swim against the current.

2 hours ago, leclod said:

Did you set CHA_FAN3 to DC mode and the PWM fans to PWM mode ?

I've had speeds not reporting correctly when being too low but 1000rpm is enough.

I guess you daisy chain your 3 DC fans. Only one of those reports its speed to the mobo, maybe switch those fans so another one reports its speed.

You probably have a utility that shows those speeds in Windows, what does it show ?

Yes, CHA_FAN3 is set to DC and PWM fans to PWM mode.

The windows software utility I'm using is called "Armoury crate". On this software, when I look at the fan speeds, The RPM on CHA_FAN3 are very disparate. Their values are around 1000, 900, 200 and even 0 RPM. On the other hand, the RPM on CHA_FAN1, CHA_FAN2 are almost constant (they hover around 450 RPM)

I've attached a x8 gif showing what i've explained above.

My Video.gif

13 hours ago, Franzyngwie said:

Yes, CHA_FAN3 is set to DC and PWM fans to PWM mode.

The windows software utility I'm using is called "Armoury crate". On this software, when I look at the fan speeds, The RPM on CHA_FAN3 are very disparate. Their values are around 1000, 900, 200 and even 0 RPM. On the other hand, the RPM on CHA_FAN1, CHA_FAN2 are almost constant (they hover around 450 RPM)

I've attached a x8 gif showing what i've explained above.

You didn't answer to "Only one of those reports its speed to the mobo, maybe switch those fans so another one reports its speed."

12 hours ago, leclod said:

You didn't answer to "Only one of those reports its speed to the mobo, maybe switch those fans so another one reports its speed."

I swapped the fans around and the same problem happened. Also, I've noticed that this problem happens only once I daisy chain more than 2 DC fans... I should note that, by now, I've switched to a much cleaner, less noisy-ish, compact fan setup that is working without problems. However, I'm still curious as to why this problem happened...

On 10/13/2021 at 9:50 PM, Franzyngwie said:

I swapped the fans around and the same problem happened. Also, I've noticed that this problem happens only once I daisy chain more than 2 DC fans... I should note that, by now, I've switched to a much cleaner, less noisy-ish, compact fan setup that is working without problems. However, I'm still curious as to why this problem happened...

I made a mistake, DC fan don't have an RPM signal cable (the fourth).

Maybe it doesn't work because the signal gets scrambled when you daisy chain DC fans, it would work with PWM fans.