Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How do I connect an Ethernet and a Wi-Fi connection to a windows laptop and use them both?

Go to solution Solved by tkitch,

Correct.

 

For example, if you wanted to look, Peplink makes a hardware router solution that will balance across two pipes.  But it ain't cheap. 

I have an Ethernet cable coming to my laptop along with a WiFi connection i want to use both to do multiple internet intensive tasks at the same time. anyone know how?

Link to post
Share on other sites

If they're coming from the same router, just use the Ethenet cable. It'll transfer a lot faster than going over WiFi, especially if the signal strength is poor. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

 

Main System Specifications: 

 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 900D  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

They are coming from different routers from different isps 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Any idea how I can use both, because connecting them to my laptops is easy

Link to post
Share on other sites

But I cannot send data over both of them simultaneously 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Indian pc builder said:

But I cannot send data over both of them simultaneously 

If you want to double your internet bandwidth, without a load balancer or channel bonding setup, you cant. If you have two different networks (meaning they run on different subnets) this only provides you with access to both networks from one device. Some apps like qbittorrent allows user to choose which NIC to use for transfering but other than that the one most apps dont.

mY s YsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??
 HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it?
 MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's
Link to post
Share on other sites

If you know specific traffic you want to send over the second connection you can create a static route on your machine to direct traffic to a specific IP Address (or range) over your 2nd connection..  Example, all traffic uses primary internet except for destination x.x.x.x.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Levent said:

If you want to double your internet bandwidth, without a load balancer or channel bonding setup, you cant. If you have two different networks (meaning they run on different subnets) this only provides you with access to both networks from one device. Some apps like qbittorrent allows user to choose which NIC to use for transfering but other than that the one most apps dont.

This.  There is no simple way to do this at home on a laptop.

 

TCP/IP Traffic isn't that smart, and unless you add fairly pricey hardware, you won't be "sharing" pipes like that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

so it is not possible unless i know what program sends what data where

Link to post
Share on other sites

Correct.

 

For example, if you wanted to look, Peplink makes a hardware router solution that will balance across two pipes.  But it ain't cheap. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, tkitch said:

Correct.

 

For example, if you wanted to look, Peplink makes a hardware router solution that will balance across two pipes.  But it ain't cheap. 

where can i check the price(note i am in india)

Link to post
Share on other sites

ok so that is just not happening because i will not spend that much to fix a not significant problem

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, tkitch said:

Correct.

 

For example, if you wanted to look, Peplink makes a hardware router solution that will balance across two pipes.  But it ain't cheap. 

You absolutely do not need anything expensive, most if not all routers that are supported by OpenWRT can be used to load balance.  The caveat is this will only improve downloads as uploads will just randomly use one of the WANs.

Router: i5-7200U appliance running pfSense WiFi: Honor Router 3 (~850Mbit peak throughput)
ISPs: Zen VDSL (66Mbit) + Plusnet VDSL (66Mbit) + Three 5G (~600Mbit)

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

You absolutely do not need anything expensive, most if not all routers that are supported by OpenWRT can be used to load balance.  The caveat is this will only improve downloads as uploads will just randomly use one of the WANs.

u donot know the type of crappy proprietary router my isp is forcing me to use, i mean i india there are 2 main isp's, jiofiber and i-on, i have both, i-on lets me use my archer c5400, but jiofiber runs a wierd type of cable which will only connect to their own piece of crap router which is gigabit, but is crappy and cannot hande more than 3 devices without running into issues

Link to post
Share on other sites

i also have my 5tb hard drive attached to my c5400

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Indian pc builder said:

u donot know the type of crappy proprietary router my isp is forcing me to use, i mean i india there are 2 main isp's, jiofiber and i-on, i have both, i-on lets me use my archer c5400, but jiofiber runs a wierd type of cable which will only connect to their own piece of crap router which is gigabit, but is crappy and cannot hande more than 3 devices without running into issues

I'm not saying your router will support it, most ISP provided routers don't support OpenWRT, at least not easily.

But the idea you need an expensive device to load balance several ISPs is not correct, although obviously it depends on what broadband speeds you're talking about.  Even a Raspberry Pi with a couple of USB ethernet adapters can do it.

Router: i5-7200U appliance running pfSense WiFi: Honor Router 3 (~850Mbit peak throughput)
ISPs: Zen VDSL (66Mbit) + Plusnet VDSL (66Mbit) + Three 5G (~600Mbit)

Link to post
Share on other sites

So I in theory cannot do anything without buying something as there is no software? Because I already have one Ethernet cable connected to my laptop from one isp and WiFi from the other 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Indian pc builder said:

So I in theory cannot do anything without buying something as there is no software? Because I already have one Ethernet cable connected to my laptop from one isp and WiFi from the other 

There is software, but that too is paid.  Windows itself doesn't seem to support the functionality natively, which is annoying as there's no good reason not to.

Router: i5-7200U appliance running pfSense WiFi: Honor Router 3 (~850Mbit peak throughput)
ISPs: Zen VDSL (66Mbit) + Plusnet VDSL (66Mbit) + Three 5G (~600Mbit)

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Indian pc builder said:

what software?

Speedify is one example, but if you have a spare PC pfSense is a way to do it without spending any money.

Router: i5-7200U appliance running pfSense WiFi: Honor Router 3 (~850Mbit peak throughput)
ISPs: Zen VDSL (66Mbit) + Plusnet VDSL (66Mbit) + Three 5G (~600Mbit)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×