genericSN

Hello,

My parts: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/mjcnYg

•     CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor
  •     Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING B550-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard
  •     GPU: Asus GeForce GT 1030 2 GB Video Card
  •     RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
  •     CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler
  •     Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
  •     Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
  •     Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case
  •     Case Fan: be quiet! Pure Wings 2 65.51 CFM 120 mm Fan
  •     Case Fan: be quiet! Pure Wings 2 65.51 CFM 120 mm Fan

(I picked these parts mainly for poker game theory calculations. No gaming.)

I put everything together and the BIOS detected all of my parts. I updated the BIOS successfully using the Asus BIOS FlashBack.

I used Microsoft's tool to create Windows 10 installation media on my 16 GB USB. The vast majority of the time after I plug in the USB and turn on the computer, the computer shows the TUF Gaming logo (where I can press Del or F2 for BIOS) and then the TUF Gaming logo with circular dots underneath (I think the Windows loading symbol) and then the computer reboots. This also happens after using the boot menu in BIOS. I tried with default settings and I also tried with DOCP enabled for my RAM.

Sometimes, but rarely, it takes me to the Windows Setup. One time I got as far as the Installing Windows screen where it shows the status (i.e., after I picked where I want to install Windows). I noticed that the computer usually reboots or restarts right after I click for the next step, but I am not sure if this is just a coincidence.

I got a BSOD once but then it restarted quickly and I forgot what it said.

Lately though the computer just keeps rebooting at the TUF Gaming logo. One time after doing it a few times, the computer just stayed off, and the yellow Q-LED on my motherboard was on, which is supposed to mean that there is a problem with the DRAM. The vast majority of the time, it just keeps rebooting forever.

I tried reseating my RAM, and I tried with only one RAM stick plugged in. I did not notice any difference.

I think my issue might be similar to these threads I found: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1220457-newly-built-pc-keeps-restarting/ and https://linustechtips.com/topic/1166100-please-help-new-pc-build-cant-install-os-keeps-rebooting/ (same as this Reddit post).

I noticed that the RAM I got (CMK32GX4M2E3200C16) is not listed on https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/TUF-Gaming/TUF-GAMING-B550-PLUS-WI-FI/HelpDesk_QVL_Memory/. Is it possible that my RAM is not compatible with my motherboard? I heard that the list on Asus is RAM they tested and are sure to work, and other RAM might be compatible but Asus does not know for sure, but pcpartpicker has a wider list of compatible RAM because they include RAM they think will work.

Is it possible that the default settings in the BIOS are not good, and maybe I can get the computer to work after changing some settings? The BIOS runs my RAM at 2133 MHz at default.

I do not have any spare computer parts to swap out and test. Also, I have no friends. Should I contact Asus and ask them if my problem is because of the RAM? If I buy new RAM for my build, then what is the probability that my PC would work? I am concerned that if I buy new PC parts to help me troubleshoot, I might end up spending money for no benefit.

Might there be a problem with my 8-pin power socket for the CPU? When I plugged it in, my motherboard was installed in my case and my huge CPU cooler made it a huge pain to plug it in. I think I did it successfully though, because it looked fully plugged in. Is it possible that I was too rough and somehow broke something? I had to uninstall my CPU cooler (which I had to uninstall my video card to do to make space) to reseat my RAM. I then wanted to unplug my 8-pin and replug it but it seemed to take too much force to unplug (even when trying to push the clip thing), and I did not want to break anything, so I just left it. It looks fully plugged in though.

What do people who give up on building their first PC do? Is it possible to get a computer repair shop to make the PC work (I am in Toronto)? Would I need to worry about getting ripped off? Is there an easy way to sell the parts, or do some people who give up just keep the computer parts lying around their home doing nothing? I know my problem is not the end of the world, but for some reason, I have been getting sad and anxious, and I've been thinking that I should have just bought a pre-built PC.

I appreciate all help. Thanks!

19 minutes ago, genericSN said:

It's DDR4 with 3200 MHz, so I guess it should be fine.

19 minutes ago, genericSN said:

I noticed that the computer usually reboots or restarts right after I click for the next step

So when it should start to install Windows on your storage device, it fails. So try to remove your SSD and install it again. Maybe it works after that.

20 minutes ago, genericSN said:

Is there an easy way to sell the parts, or do some people who give up just keep the computer parts lying around their home doing nothing?

Don't give up, dude.

It may be hard the first time but it's even more satisfying when it finally works.

You got into the BIOS, so you already did something right.

My build:

CPU

Intel Core i7 9700 8x 3.00GHz So.1151

CPU cooler

be quiet! Shadow Rock Slim

Motherboard

MSI B360-A PRO Intel B360 So.1151 Dual Channel DDR4 ATX

RAM

16GB (4x 4096MB) HyperX FURY black DDR4-2666

GPU

8GB Gigabyte GeForce RTX2070 WindForce 2X 3xDP/HDMI

SSD

500GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 2280

HDD

4000GB WD Red WD40EFRX Intellipower 64MB 3.5" (8.9cm) SATA 6Gb/s

Power Supply

bequiet! Straight Power 750W Platinum

Case

Fractal Design Define R6
3x bequiet! Silent Wings 3 PWM

1 hour ago, suedseefrucht said:

So when it should start to install Windows on your storage device, it fails. So try to remove your SSD and install it again. Maybe it works after that.

I just tried that (removed my SSD and then put it back), but unfortunately, the computer still keeps rebooting after the TUF GAMING logo with circular dots loading underneath. After doing that for a few minutes, the display went off but the fans were still on and the motherboard had the yellow light on (which according to the manual, means that the most probable cause of error is the DRAM).

After pressing the reset button, the exact same thing happens (after a few minutes of repeated rebooting, yellow light on the motherboard).

6 minutes ago, genericSN said:

error is the DRAM

Did you use the recommended slots?
E17257_TUF_GAMING_B550-PLUS_WI-FI_UM_v2_WEB.pdf (asus.com)

Page 20.

If you try a single stick of RAM, try every of your sticks as single RAM. Maybe one is broken.

My build:

CPU

Intel Core i7 9700 8x 3.00GHz So.1151

CPU cooler

be quiet! Shadow Rock Slim

Motherboard

MSI B360-A PRO Intel B360 So.1151 Dual Channel DDR4 ATX

RAM

16GB (4x 4096MB) HyperX FURY black DDR4-2666

GPU

8GB Gigabyte GeForce RTX2070 WindForce 2X 3xDP/HDMI

SSD

500GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 2280

HDD

4000GB WD Red WD40EFRX Intellipower 64MB 3.5" (8.9cm) SATA 6Gb/s

Power Supply

bequiet! Straight Power 750W Platinum

Case

Fractal Design Define R6
3x bequiet! Silent Wings 3 PWM

Yes, I did use the recommended slots.

I definitely did try 1 of my 2 sticks of RAM by itself, and I did not notice any difference. As for the other stick, I did try it by itself in my first attempt a few days ago because my other RAM was not detected since I did not plug it in fully. Not sure if that counts though. Do you think I should each stick by itself again?

• 2 weeks later...

I got a response from Asus Product Support:

This is regarding your TUF GAMING B550-PLUS (WI-FI). CMK32GX4M2E3200C16 is incompatible. Please purchase CMK32GX4M2Z3200C16 (Ver3.31).

Thoughts? Link to pcpartpicker comparison: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/W6ndnQ,DMn8TW/

I guess I could buy some cheap RAM that is on my mobo's QVL and if using it gets my PC to work, then I will buy 32 GB RAM that is on my mobo's QVL.

Yesterday, I did not try anything new, but after a few rebooting loops, I got 'lucky' and I was able to get pretty far in the Windows 10 installation. It did the rebooting after I selected the region and then keyboard layout. I got the BSOD a few times (PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, PHASE1_INITIALIZATION_FAILED, DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE). Now most times I try to start the PC, it reboots basically the same as usual, except this time there is "Preparing Automatic Repair" under the Windows dots loading and the TUF Gaming logo. I see in the BIOS that it now boots from the SSD.

Unfortunately, even after trying cheap RAM (PSD44G240081) which is on the mobo's QVL, my computer still gets the same rebooting symptoms. I also got various BSODs again.

I also tried to boot Linux Mint from my USB (and I selected GPT partition on Rufus), but the computer keeps restarting a second or two after selecting start (both regular and compatibility mode).