Is the MacBook Air still worth it?

Hi,

So it's 3AM and I just ordered the MacBook Air. I found a good deal on the entry level model so I thought "why not?" I'll be using it mostly to work on the go and as a secondary laptop because I already own a gaming desktop (specs on my profile). I have mixed use cases that include mostly programming, content writing, occasional gaming and video editing (I'm actually quite annoyed by the fact that I wouldn't be able to play Age of Empires 4 on the go).

But I'm seeing that Apple is supposed to hold a keynote shortly with a possible revised version... Should I go ahead and cancel the order?

Unless you need a laptop before December, I'd cancel it

If you want one of these new ones that come out and miss the first wave of orders, you'll probably be waiting until late november to get it

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

7 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

Hi,

So it's 3AM and I just ordered the MacBook Air. I found a good deal on the entry level model so I thought "why not?" I'll be using it mostly to work on the go and as a secondary laptop because I already own a gaming desktop (specs on my profile). I have mixed use cases that include mostly programming, content writing, occasional gaming and video editing (I'm actually quite annoyed by the fact that I wouldn't be able to play Age of Empires 4 on the go).

But I'm seeing that Apple is supposed to hold a keynote shortly with a possible revised version... Should I go ahead and cancel the order?

You got an M1 air?

I think it’s a decent option still. Not sure if M2 will be announced soon, if there are solid rumors saying it will, may be worth waiting for the m2 version. Also, if base model is 8GB (I don’t remember off hand), get a 16GB or more. I have an Intel air from 2 years ago with 16GB, and there is no way any less is actually viable imo. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

You should have a return window after you buy the laptop so I would just rely on that. The rumors are that the MacBook Pros will get upgrades and not the Air. So, unless you're willing to spend a good amount more for those upgrades I would just be happy with the air. Its more plenty capable for everything you want to do, and if you have access to internet, you can always stream age of empires 4 through moonlight. 

2 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

You got an M1 air?

I think it’s a decent option still. Not sure if M2 will be announced soon, if there are solid rumors saying it will, may be worth waiting for the m2 version. Also, if base model is 8GB (I don’t remember off hand), get a 16GB or more. I have an Intel air from 2 years ago with 16GB, and there is no way any less is actually viable imo. 

it depends on your use and chrome habits. My girlfriend does graphic design on her intel base model MB Air from 2 years ago and doesn't have any complaints. 

2 minutes ago, Sorenson said:

it depends on your use and chrome habits. My girlfriend does graphic design on her intel base model MB Air from 2 years ago and doesn't have any complaints. 

Don’t misunderstand, I love my air. I use it more often then my PC by miles. But I can’t imagine only having 8 GB of ram in it, but I also couldn’t imagine having 8GB in my PC and many people do and don’t have any issues. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

11 minutes ago, Slottr said:

Unless you need a laptop before December, I'd cancel it

If you want one of these new ones that come out and miss the first wave of orders, you'll probably be waiting until late november to get it

I would actually need it early but I wouldn't mind waiting a couple months if it's worth it. So how likely is it that the Air actually gets an upgrade next month?

10 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

You got an M1 air?

Actually it's the M1 and it seems to handle the RAM way better than the Intel versions because of how quick the storage is. It just uses the swap memory and it works out quite well. I saw comparisons on YouTube and there's apparently no slowdowns unless you really push it. I've even seen someone use it for After Effects and it performs on par with the i9 MacBook Pro with 16GB of RAM.

9 minutes ago, Sorenson said:

You should have a return window after you buy the laptop so I would just rely on that. The rumors are that the MacBook Pros will get upgrades and not the Air. So, unless you're willing to spend a good amount more for those upgrades I would just be happy with the air. Its more plenty capable for everything you want to do, and if you have access to internet, you can always stream age of empires 4 through moonlight. 

It's very confusing. The rumors says that the bezels would get slimmer and it might get some extra ports, but I'm not sure if the chip will be upgraded.

On the other hand, this is pretty good deal because I'm saving around €200, which is a lot for the entry level. Ugh it sucks to be poor!

54 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

On the other hand, this is pretty good deal because I'm saving around €200, which is a lot for the entry level. Ugh it sucks to be poor!

Haha I’m right there with you. The m1 is pretty powerful though and the bezels aren’t that thick on the air anyways. 

3 hours ago, IAmAndre said:

I would actually need it early but I wouldn't mind waiting a couple months if it's worth it. So how likely is it that the Air actually gets an upgrade next month?

Honestly can't say.

I'd be about certain they improve the pro.

I've been on an M1 air for about a year now and it's been a really good experience, as long as you're just programming with some light games and editing it's a fine system.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Most insiders are hinting that they're only refreshing the pro models. So while you could wait, you'll be paying double or more.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

12 hours ago, IAmAndre said:

Very unlikely.

What's coming out are M1x models. Macbook Pro 14" and 16", they will start at 2000~ bucks, double the price of the M1 Air. Of course, probably double as fast, but in everyday usage there won't be a difference.

Also probably a more high end M1x Mac Mini.

M2 Macbook Air~ shouldn't arrive before early/mid 2022.

45 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

Very unlikely.

What's coming out are M1x models. Macbook Pro 14" and 16", they will start at 2000~ bucks, double the price of the M1 Air. Of course, probably double as fast, but in everyday usage there won't be a difference.

Also probably a more high end M1x Mac Mini.

M2 Macbook Air~ shouldn't arrive before early/mid 2022.

I'll make sure to quote you on this after the keynote.