I have a beer gut and don't drink beer...

whm1974

So I noticed the other day after wearing a tighter fitting shirt, that I have a beer gut for crying out loud. I don't even drink beer at all. Never cared for the taste of it. Brandy and Rum, sometimes. Not very often however.

How can I get rid of this pregnant look? Used to make fun of guys having one. Or even worse, The Curse of Man-Boobs!!! Wait... Nope just felt around don't have them.

I just purchased my Air Fryer a few weeks ago, so would that help? Mind you, been eating a large 5 topping pizza every week since about ~1 year. But I make that last for three days and have pushed that almost 4.

Kind of one of the most ridiculous posts I've seen in a long time, grats 🙂

Made me smile though, so thanks for that.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

Age has a lot to do with it as well.  I am 41 and in fairly good shape. I don't drink nor do I eat a lot of fatty foods, but my belly has got a pony keg look now.  I do exercise everyday but it won't fully go away. I personally don't care about it.  I'm not out to impress others as I'm happily married and don't want any other woman in my life.  I'm proud of my dad bod now.  

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

26 minutes ago, Zusafek said:

Age has a lot to do with it as well.  I am 41 and in fairly good shape. I don't drink nor do I eat a lot of fatty foods, but my belly has got a pony keg look now.  I do exercise everyday but it won't fully go away. I personally don't care about it.  I'm not out to impress others as I'm happily married and don't want any other woman in my life.  I'm proud of my dad bod now.  

I guess your wife refers to you having "Love Handles" then?

Im going to guess this needs to be in off topic.... Also food will always be the main culprit with mens bellys. Usually the drinking causes people to eat unhealthy amounts or things that are not as healthy. Yes beer is also empty calories but its usually not as bad as some people think. Do stomach exercises and watch what you intake. Cut down on the amount you consume slowly to not feel the ol hunger pangs. 

Just now, GodSeph said:

Im going to guess this needs to be in off topic.... Also food will always be the main culprit with mens bellys. Usually the drinking causes people to eat unhealthy amounts or things that are not as healthy. Yes beer is also empty calories but its usually not as bad as some people think. Do stomach exercises and watch what you intake. Cut down on the amount you consume slowly to not feel the ol hunger pangs. 

Well LTT doesn't have a Food Section... Yet? I wonder if I would end up consuming more calories due to enjoying more Fried Foods? No oils to buy nor dispose of after deep frying.

==moved to off topic==

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

1 hour ago, whm1974 said:

So I noticed the other day after wearing a tighter fitting shirt, that I have a beer gut for crying out loud. I don't even drink beer at all. Never cared for the taste of it. Brandy and Rum, sometimes. Not very often however.

How can I get rid of this pregnant look? Used to make fun of guys having one. Or even worse, The Curse of Man-Boobs!!! Wait... Nope just felt around don't have them.

I just purchased my Air Fryer a few weeks ago, so would that help? Mind you, been eating a large 5 topping pizza every week since about ~1 year. But I make that last for three days and have pushed that almost 4.

Uhm, so the "Beer gut" isn't caused by Beer - at least, not specifically. It's caused by anything that makes you gain weight.

If you want to lose the gut, you have two choices (or a combination of both):

1. Exercise more

2. Eat less calories

Pretty simple. Consume less calories than you burn.

Actually accomplishing that is easier said than done, mind you.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

6 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Uhm, so the "Beer gut" isn't caused by Beer - at least, not specifically. It's caused by anything that makes you gain weight.

If you want to lose the gut, you have two choices (or a combination of both):

1. Exercise more

2. Eat less calories

Pretty simple. Consume less calories than you burn.

Actually accomplishing that is easier said than done, mind you.

Well you can't much if in the Genes now can I?

I can't tell if this is satire or not, as the Internet is broken now!

2 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

I'm sorry, but I'm not really sure what you mean here.

You can't what, exactly, because of genes?

You can definitely eat less (less calories in). You can also definitely exercise more (more calories out).

Genes can most definitely impact weight gain and weight loss. Genes can also heavily impact your overall physique.

But you can influence your overall weight, if you have the willpower to do so. Not everyone does.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

16 minutes ago, Eviljuche said:

I really, really want to believe that this guy is just trolling all of us.

Nope I really do look like I'm ~6 months Carrying...

Nope I really do look like I'm ~6 months Carrying...

If we are talking like Randy Bo-bandy Trailer Park Boys level? Then you need to cut back hard on calorie dense food, and hitting the gym (cardio and mixed workouts) hard. 

Randy looks that way because he friggin loves cheeseburgers. 

Different people store excess fat in different ways. Some people get very large everywhere and other people focus it in certain areas. 

Also targeting your stomach or abs is not going to make you lose weight there faster. It will exercise and strengthen the abs muscles but you can’t target fat loss. Fat is literally just a battery for your body, so when your body is using fat to convert into energy, it pulls it from your whole body. 

3 hours ago, whm1974 said:

Since January I lost 15 pounds. I attribute the success to the fact Im Lactose intolerant and so I stopped eating lots of bread due to not being able to do cheese no more. I do eat Pizza, but only when I can justify feeling like crap after. I dont eat ice cream any more. About a year or so ago I gave up candy, due to the fear of Diabetes, Type 2 runs in my family. I haven't drank Pop (or Soda for those people) since about 2015. Sounds like you need to work on what your eating. Generally if its golden brown and delicious then its probably bad for you. Pizza is definitely bad for you. 

My doctor told me to start walking or using a treadmill. Generally cardio helps burn fat a bit. Generally however just staying active and burning more calories then what you intake can also help. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Consume less calories (but not to the starving point).

From a weight perspective it doesn’t matter what you eat and drink, just how much you eat and drink. You can have Coca Cola every day if you want, it’s just that you probably shouldn’t have much else. Common thing I see in other people trying to ”eat healthy” is that they still over eat and even if they try to keep portion sizes down at meals they snack a lot between meals.

Move more (don’t need to be exercise, just movement).

Get a pedometer (or smart watch or just always keep your phone on you since most have that function) and see how many steps you take on a normal day with your current activity level, most people greatly overestimate how much they actually move. 

13 hours ago, whm1974 said:

sounds like an excuse, are you sure it's not something to do with the:

15 hours ago, whm1974 said:

Mind you, been eating a large 5 topping pizza every week since about ~1 year

I absolutely hate people that fall back on the "it's my genes" excuse, have you actually gotten that diagnosed with a medical professional, i'm guessing not, because if you HAD you would already be taking more care of what you eat to prevent you from gaining too much weight, and if you HAVE....what the fuck are you doing.

this is coming from someone who worked her ass off to lose 30kg, don't make excuses. Fix it.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

I absolutely hate people that fall back on the "it's my genes" excuse, have you actually gotten that diagnosed with a medical professional, i'm guessing not, because if you HAD you would already be taking more care of what you eat to prevent you from gaining too much weight, and if you HAVE....what the fuck are you doing.

this is coming from someone who worked her ass off to lose 30kg, don't make excuses. Fix it.

I'm not using "It's my Genes" excuse at all. I'm already have been cutting back on the Pizza. Refrain from getting one last night.

3 hours ago, Arika S said:

To add to that ones genes account for a difference of about 3 % in calorie burn between ”good” and ”bad” genes. 

3 hours ago, Arika S said:

Yep, completely agree. 

Genes are not the reason why people become fat. That's just a bad excuse people use to not take responsibility for their own actions. 

Eating too much is 100% of the time the reason why someone is fat. It really is that simple. No genes can break the laws of thermodynamics.

The only (natural) way you can gain weight is eating more calories than your body uses. 

The only (natural) way you can lose weight is eating fewer calories than your body uses. 

The only meaningful ways that genes plays a role in is where you body decides to store the fat. Some people (mostly men) store a lot of fat on their stomachs. Some people (usually women) store a lot of fat on their butts and hips. 

Some evidence also indicates that genes might also play a role in which food you prefer. So some people might be more drawn towards sugar for example, and as a result are more likely to overeat. It's still the food that makes you fat though, not your genes. 

6 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Yep, completely agree. 

Genes are not the reason why people become fat. That's just a bad excuse people use to not take responsibility for their own actions. 

Eating too much is 100% of the time the reason why someone is fat. It really is that simple. No genes can break the laws of thermodynamics.

The only (natural) way you can gain weight is eating more calories than your body uses. 

The only (natural) way you can lose weight is eating fewer calories than your body uses. 

The only meaningful ways that genes plays a role in is where you body decides to store the fat. Some people (mostly men) store a lot of fat on their stomachs. Some people (usually women) store a lot of fat on their butts and hips. 

Some evidence also indicates that genes might also play a role in which food you prefer. So some people might be more drawn towards sugar for example, and as a result are more likely to overeat. It's still the food that makes you fat though, not your genes. 

I wasn't claiming otherwise. But I haven't went and brought back a Pizza yet today. Wait until next weekend for that.

20 minutes ago, Benji said:

Maybe you should cut that off in general. The amount of times you mention pizza is terrifying and the fact that you apparently look like you're pregnant is an indication that you're totally overdoing it with pizza. If I'm lucky, I eat pizza once a month, if at all. Fast food is also not a thing and I don't look like I'm carrying twins, lol.

Well it's not bad enough to be carrying twins. One Topping is Anchovies, the other 4 are veggies.

5 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Well it's not bad enough to be carrying twins. One Topping is Anchovies, the other 4 are veggies.

Why not cook some veggies and have a piece of fresh fish instead?

It's the cheese, sauce, and base that's doing the damage. Plus if you're like me you're probably washing it down with soda.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

6 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Beer gut = a myth.  When people go out drinking they tend to eat grabo bar food, which is where that myth began.  Esting garbo sources of increased carbs is what makes people fat, usually.  Up fiber and balance things like protein, plus other vitamins and nutrients, while increasing cardio.  Drink water, not your calories.  Figure out genetic and health history complications that may be related.  Every person is unique.

Beer has a shit ton of calories in it though, so it's not just the junk food you tend to eat when you're drinking.

Let's compare some different drinks:

• One 12oz (~355ml) bottle of Budweiser contains 145 calories.
  • One 12oz (~355ml) bottle of regular Coca Cola (full sugar) is 140 calories.
  • One 12oz (~355ml) bottle of Heineken contains 149 calories.
  • One 12oz (~355ml) bottle of Corona Extra contains 148 calories.
  • 12oz (~355ml) of orange juice contains 168 calories.
  • One 12oz (~355ml) bottle of Mountain Dew contains 170 calories.

Drinking beer is arguably worse than drinking soda, and I think we all know that drinking soda is not exactly a great idea when trying to lose weight.

• Fat contains 9 calories per gram.
  • Alcohol contains 7 calories per gram. 
  • Sugar contains 4 calories per gram.
  • Protein contains 4 calories per gram

Also, I have seen a lot of people mention exercise as a way to lose weight. I strongly disagree that that's a good way to lose weight.

I think people dramatically overestimate how many calories you burn when you exercise. I am not saying that it doesn't help, but it helps very little. You absolutely should exercise since it is great for a lot of reasons, but losing weight is not one of them.

The general rule of thumb is that you burn roughly 100 calories in 30 minutes of moderate weightlifting exercises. That means you'd have to do 45 minutes of workouts to counteract a single bottle of beer.

Did you eat ONE (1) slice from an 18" Pizza Hut pepperoni pizza? Have fun lifting weights for 2 hours.

Cardio exercises is a decent way to lose weight, but the problem is usually that overweight (or even the average person) people do not have the stamina to actually burn any meaningful amount of calories from let's say running. You should absolutely do cardio exercises if you are overweight because it helps strengthen your heart and build a better stamina, but don't count on it benefitting your weight loss in a significant way.

Eating determines how much weight you gain or lose.

Exercise determines what that weight is stored as, muscles or fat.

That's also why you need to eat a lot to gain muscles. You can only lose weight and gain muscles for a little while. At some point, depending on what you looked like where you started, you will hit a point where your body won't grow more muscles unless you have energy (calories) to spare. So you need to overeat to gain muscles.

1 hour ago, Caroline said:

There's no such thing as "it's in the genes lol"

If you're fat it's all because you never exercise and always eat trash

f523b0d1c920a22729cf177cd818c4a0.jpg

Eating a family size pizza per week doesn't sounds very healthy if you ask me.

I kinda eat everything but also exercise every day so I'm lean. Some of my friends weigh less than me and look fat because they have no muscle mass at all, weight by itself means nothing, you could weigh 110lbs and still have a belly if you don't exercise.

I'm nowhere as bad off as the poor woman there. If and when I drink soda. it is diet. And only consume unsweetened cranberry juice every now and then.

11 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Did you eat ONE (1) slice from an 18" Pizza Hut pepperoni pizza? Have fun lifting weights for 2 hours.

Cardio exercises is a decent way to lose weight, but the problem is usually that overweight (or even the average person) people do not have the stamina to actually burn any meaningful amount of calories from let's say running. You should absolutely do cardio exercises if you are overweight because it helps strengthen your heart and build a better stamina, but don't count on it benefitting your weight loss in a significant way.

14" Domino's slice. Since it is carry out for ~$11 I have to walk over there and get then bring it back.