Should I update my motherboard bios?

RaphCode
Go to solution Solved by RONOTHAN##,

It's probably a good idea. It might run, but it probably doesn't have all the micro code needed for the CPU to perform its best.

Usually, you don't want to update the BIOS unless you need to, but where the CPU only has enough microcode to turn on, it's usually a good idea to do so. 

I have recently built my pc containing a ryzen 5 5600g and a gigabyte b550 aorus elite v2 motherboard

The motherboard is running bios version f12 and it runs ok with the ryzen 5 5600g

According to the datasheet, the ryzen 5 5600g is supported in bios version f13

Should i update my motherboard bios to the newest version even though it works?

Thanks in advance

Nope. 

No real reason to update the BIOS unless something's wrong, or something's not working. 

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

It's probably a good idea. It might run, but it probably doesn't have all the micro code needed for the CPU to perform its best.

Usually, you don't want to update the BIOS unless you need to, but where the CPU only has enough microcode to turn on, it's usually a good idea to do so. 

Yes, I’d update in this case. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

It would make sense just to update it, to make sure everything works in the long run still. So... yes. 🙂

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos

6 hours ago, GeorgeMKane said:

It would make sense just to update it, to make sure everything works in the long run still. So... yes. 🙂

So my pc could in the long run break and not run if i dont update the bios?

2 minutes ago, RaphCode said:

So my pc could in the long run break and not run if i dont update the bios?

Check out what @RONOTHAN##mentioned above. You'll want to make sure you update the BIOS, so it supports the CPU, in the long run, basically. It will support it for a while, but you could get a BIOS error down the line, if it's not updated soon after building.

2 minutes ago, GeorgeMKane said:

Check out what @RONOTHAN##mentioned above. You'll want to make sure you update the BIOS, so it supports the CPU, in the long run, basically. It will support it for a while, but you could get a BIOS error down the line, if it's not updated soon after building.

ok thanks, are there any tips in updating the bios

15 minutes ago, GeorgeMKane said:

would it help to use the pc less too before the update?

5 hours ago, RaphCode said:

would it help to use the pc less too before the update?

No, you should be fine on using it how you want.

For updating the BIOS, I would refer you to the motherboard manufacturer's website. You'll need a usb (preferably 3.0) flash drive to put the BIOS update on, and that should be all you need.

Get the F14C BIOS from here. https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B550-AORUS-ELITE-V2-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios

You may have to unzip it and copy & paste it over to the flash drive, once that's plugged in. I linked a guide below that goes over things carefully for you.

https://youtu.be/tvbnNn-9uus?t=50

EDIT: Just an FYI here. Once you've completed the BIOS update process and everything, and you've gotten back to the Windows desktop just fine... Make sure XMP is still active. CPU-Z software or even task manager can show what speed the RAM is running at. If it's not running at advertised speed, then I recommend restarting and going back into the BIOS, and re-activating XMP and the XMP profile. It's basically a making sure you're getting what you paid for measure.

Edited by GeorgeMKane