Getting random reboots (probably PSU related). Any troubleshooting suggestions?

Monkee369

At the moment I am getting some random reboots. The computer itself performs fine and I see no problems 99% of the time.

However every now and then could be a couple of weeks to a month my PC reboot's itself. Ocasionally it does it the once and then does it again about 5 - 10 mins after.

I use linux & windows and no blue screen, freezes or signs of crashing just straight up keyboard rgb's and monitor goes dead and reboots itself

In the event viewer I get the following message (The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.)

I am most definitely going to get myself a new PSU but I just want to double check if there is anything else that could be causing this.

The PSU itself I bought back in the december of 2014 so is pretty old right now which is why I imagine it's gone bad and I am a heavy PC user. I do alot of resource intesive programming and am very frequently gaming.

The rest of the build is quite new and hasn't been that much of an issue until this year (Build listed below)

Gigabyte AB350-GAMING 3 (Socket AM4/B350/DDR4/S-ATA 600/ATX)
Corsair CP-9020048-UK Builder Series CX600 ATX/EPS 80 PLUS Bronze Power Supply Unit, 600 W
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Desktop CPU - AM4
ASUS GeForce DUAL-GTX1060-O6G 6 GB Graphics Card
Corsair CMK16GX4M2A2400C16 Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 2400 MHz C16 XMP 2.0
Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB 2.5 inch Solid State Drive

Western Digital WD10EZEX 1 TB PC Hard Drive

Thanks in advance for any help 🙂

FYI taking in any recommendations for a decent PSU mainly looking at Corsair

I had similair issues in the beginning of my having a my corsair PSU and after months of it occuring once every 2 weeks found out the issue was a partial broken wire in my 24 pin cable.
For the me the way to have verified this was touching the wire and it would restart, luckly mine was within warrently and corsair sent me a new 24p pin cable
As a side note my PSU is from the same rough time period

RAM 32 GB of Corsair DDR4 3200Mhz            MOTHERBOARD ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
CPU Ryzen 9 5950X             GPU dual r9 290's        COOLING custom water loop using EKWB blocks
STORAGE samsung 970 EVo plus 2Tb Nvme, Samsung 850 EVO 512GB, WD Red 1TB,  Seagate 4 TB and Seagate Exos X18 18TB

Psu Corsair AX1200i
MICROPHONE RODE NT1-A          HEADPHONES Massdrop & Sennheiser HD6xx
MIXER inkel mx-1100   peripherals Corsair k-95 (the og 18G keys one)  and a Corsair scimitar

The PSU is old but this is probably not a PSU issue, although try reseating all power cables for a good measure. I suspect RAM, try disabling XMP profile.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

I had this issue recently on a gigabyte B550 board with evga supernova G2 650w.

Turned out two things were off:

1: My wall socket was faulty (wiggling the plug caused arcing and caused a LOT of interference in my analog microphone, and even triggered a reboot once)

2: My 24-pin ATX power connector to the mobo wasn't QUITE in correctly. Since I pushed it in further (saw a slight gap which isn't there any more) the reboots have stopped completely.

I would start with making sure all the cables and hardware are seated and inserted properly. Then, if you have anything overclocked, disable it. Even if it is some small non stock clock like using an XMP profile for your ram. You can could also trying turning down your CPU clock(in means of disabling any turbo modes if present). Finding an equilibrium for your system is one of the hard parts of PC building and maintenance.

Interesting... Checked my bios and currrently on F8 & that's from 2017 so I could probably update that.

https://www.gigabyte.com/uk/Motherboard/GA-AB350-Gaming-3-rev-1x/support#support-dl-bios

Otherwise I didn't do any overclocking and XMP is disabled.

CPU Temps are fine which was quite wierd because on BIOS it said idle temp was 70c while on Windows Core Temp and HWMonitor is at idle 47-50

Same goes for GPU that idles at 43c

I haven't given it a clean in a little while and have got some spare compressed air somewhere so I will clean out components and double check all of the connectors and if it happens again after that and the BIOS upgrade I will go for a new PSU

Also could try a different wall socket but if other people are saying it's 24 pin socket good chance it could be that

Thanks for the help will keep posted after I get round to this

UPDATE: Cleaned the computer out, checked the connector pins and all seem to be fine, have ordered myself a new PSU just because and was thinking about it but there is probably not much need to update the BIOS. There only small changes which shouldn't affect anything however I guess i'll find out when I install a new PSU.

2 hours ago, MonkeyBusinez said:

but there is probably not much need to update the BIOS

Keep the BIOS up to date with Ryzen.

@--SID--Thanks for the suggestion but is there any reason for doing this? I only really update the bios if I have to. If there is a specific reason that I would have to update the bios I would. AKA getting a new processor that is not already supported or some specific issue but I read the descriptions on the mobo support website and I don't think any of the updates apply to me. I don't want to run the risk of bricking my mobo especially that I need the computer for work also. By process of elimination I am sure I will find out what it is and if the current BIOS version has worked up till now I can rule that out for the time being. 

There are 13 newer BIOS versions than your current. New BIOS versions solve issues with compatibility an stability. Not between the part in the system only but also with Windows. I resolved a lot of issues with Ryzen PCs by updating the BIOS.

Read the description before updating. You can't update from F8 to F51b at once!

@--SID-- Thanks im aware of which ones I would have to update. If anything I would update to F31, F40 & F51b. However this will be a last case scenario for me but I am sure I will have to end up doing this anyway at one when I choose to upgrade parts (Upgrading to 3rd series CPU). It's pretty handy there's a backup bios on these if there was a corrupt flash there's a way to revert but it's not something I need to worry about for the time being.

I had this happen to me yesterday - random shutdowns after installing a new GPU. I panicked thinking that if my PSU is faulty and blows it could take my brand new 1200 USD 3080 with it. So I have played it safe and ordered a new PSU. My previous one was a Corsair RM 850x which was only two years but I am not taking any chances, after all a new PSU is 150 USD whereas a new motherboard, CPU, GPU, etc totals 2000+ USD. 

CPU i7 14700K | CPU Cooler Noctua NH-U12A | Motherboard MSI Pro Z690-A | GPU Zotac Airo RTX 4080 | RAM 32 GB GSkill Ripjaws V 4400
Mhz |
 Monitor Alienware AW2721D / Gigabyte M28U | PSU ASUS ROG Strix 850G

@BobbysixjpMy thinking exactly. I'd rather get a new PSU knowing that it isn't faulty and is still in warranty. Which is why I ended up going for a gold rated one this time round with 10 years on it. That way I can be certain I will have continuous support if I have any future issues. Besides when I decide to upgrade I won't be crossing my fingers hoping that all my new hardware doesn't get damaged.

3 hours ago, MonkeyBusinez said:

y. Which is why I ended up going for a gold rated one this time round with 10 years on it

hopefully    not    seasonic   focus    or   prime,    or    any    EVGA   psu   in    general

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

@SavageNeo Haven't even considered those. Took a proper rigorous look at the tier list and read into reviews before buying. I'm always driven to corsair components (call it buyers bias) so I settled on a 2021 RM PSU

@--SID--I did the inevitable and decided to update my bios. I actually decided on doing an actual upgrade getting a new CPU (haven't got it yet) However slight issue when I did it. My linux partition works fine and my Windows Boot wont do anything at all. Literally see the Windows logo for a second and poof. gone and reboots itself.

Linux is fine but even the Windows bootables are not working either. Same as the windows Partition just straight reboots.

Going to drop something on the Gigabyte forums to see if they have anything helpfu

UPDATE: Downflashed & is fine.

May have to skip the versions I updated to 

@--SID--You'll be pleased to know now I am on the latest BIOS version & Ordered a 3800x. Really looking forward to getting it!