EKWB Support is a No-Fun-Zone....

Thank you for contacting us.

If your motherboard has more than one D-RGB header you can connect the Distro plate and water blocks to that header with a splitter cable (https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-loop-d-rgb-3-way-splitter-cable).

Q1: Do you recommend the separate reservoir/will it fit in the case? Do I need any brackets?
If you are going to be using the distro plate that is already in the EK Classic InWin 303 then you should not use an additional reservoir because if you do the coolant won't flow correctly throughout the distro plate.
Also, an additional reservoir probably won't fit into the case.

Q2: Would you recommend the motherboard-specific block or a nice CPU-only block?
It depends, if you also want to cool the motherboard or not, personally we would recommend a CPU-only water block for easier installation.

Q3: I was going to watercool the ram but the block is out of stock (and it's admittedly very silly)... but are there any loop toys you think are worth looking into? (displays, turnymajigs, waterfalls, other potentially silly things etc...) budget is kind of wide open and I'd like to do a little more with it than the basic preplanned distro block route on the picture... I mean... short of turning it into a willy wonka factory... things that are worth a look-see?
Unfortunately, we cannot comment on that, because if you go that route we do not know how those things are going to affect the coolant flow and the rest of the loop. For the best cooling performance, we would recommend not doing anything ''silly'' with the loop.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Jan

Boo GIF - Agt Americas Got Talent Heidi Klum GIFs

Also.... not sure how adding a reservoir would disrupt the flow of a distro plate o.O

5 minutes ago, DrunkenPanda said:

Also.... not sure how adding a reservoir would disrupt the flow of a distro plate o.O

Because you would then have two reservoirs in your loop. Reservoirs aren't pressurised and when you have two in a row, you will have a drop in pressure in your liquid and the flow will slow down unless you add a second pump to your loop.

Also while not being fun can be boring, I would argue it's better if the support gives your resonable responses that just help you keep your components cool.

5 minutes ago, Dreckssackblase said:

Because you would then have two reservoirs in your loop. Reservoirs aren't pressurised and when you have two in a row, you will have a drop in pressure in your liquid and the flow will slow down unless you add a second pump to your loop.

Also while not being fun can be boring, I would argue it's better if the support gives your resonable responses that just help you keep your components cool.

you're not wrong.... it was just tee'd up for them to upsale something cool and be creative... and I get the technician that's been numb to the world since his hamster died when he was 7

I see literally nothing wrong with any of those replies. I'm not sure it's really the remit of EKWB support staff to be offering blind part recommendations for a largely unknown system or helping you design something "cool and creative". 

IMO your expectations are wildly out of line here.

[ P R O J E C T _ M E L L I F E R A ]

[ 5900X @4.7GHz PBO2 | X570S Aorus Pro | 32GB GSkill Trident Z 3600MHz CL16 | EK-Quantum Reflection ]
[ ASUS RTX4080 TUF OC @3000MHz | O11D-XL | HardwareLabs GTS and GTX 360mm | XSPC D5 SATA ]

[ TechN / Phanteks G40 Blocks | Corsair AX750 | ROG Swift PG279Q | Q-Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4 ]

P R O J E C T | S A N D W A S P

6900K | RTX2080 | 32GB DDR4-3000 | Custom Loop 

15 hours ago, HM-2 said:

I see literally nothing wrong with any of those replies. I'm not sure it's really the remit of EKWB support staff to be offering blind part recommendations for a largely unknown system or helping you design something "cool and creative". 

IMO your expectations are wildly out of line here.

I gave them the entire build list and what I had in my EK cart... the case was designed by EKWB in collaboration with InWin... nothing is blind or unknown here...

My expectation was to be pointed to a few products on their website as a possible additives to the loop... that's..... wildly out of line? o.O

Then just from a did you do your job aspect... there's the whole extra radiator won't fit in the case with the GPU mounted vertically thing... and after some perusing through other builds in the same case, of which there aren't many... the 360 SE Classic radiator is the only one that fits in the bottom without the GPU vert mount... so even being completely numb to creativity, they missed two pretty key utilitarian issues I had in the cart selection that would have resulted in a product return one way or the other... so... there's that as well...

Anyways... there's room to add a helix res in the upper right portion of the case... do I need an extra pump if I do that?

you think this is "bad"?

i asked Asus support: "why any of the FN swtich software didnt work on my laptop"
They said: "here is a guide how to install software"

I asked MSI support: "why my Msi stealth laptop didnt charge on USB C at idle"
They said: "it draws too much power for it to charge"

🤣

3 hours ago, DrunkenPanda said:

Anyways... there's room to add a helix res in the upper right portion of the case... do I need an extra pump if I do that?

Where in the loop are you intending on putting the extra res, and for what purpose? The only place I could logically see one going in terms of loop order is essentially feeding into the distro res and pump, which I can't see working with the port arrangement on the distro. 

I gave them the entire build list and what I had in my EK cart... the case was designed by EKWB in collaboration with InWin... nothing is blind or unknown here...

That's far from clear in your initial post, in fact the only clear and coherent component related question seems to be about monoblocks versus standard CPU blocks and they answered that very directly.

The third question you ask them is basically nonsense. EKWB don't make any displays or "waterfalls" and I pity the poor Slovenian who had to work out what you meant by "turnymajigs".

I'm not surprised they won't give you any suggestions for pointless crap to fill your loop with, I'm sure they're dreading the inevitable "iTs NoT wOrKiNg PrOpErLy" RMA they'll get because you've ruined your loop's cooling capability by turning it into an RGB Niagara Falls.

My expectation was to be pointed to a few products on their website as a possible additives to the loop... that's..... wildly out of line? o.O

When more than half of them.are products they don't actually make, then yeah. 

Then just from a did you do your job aspect... there's the whole extra radiator won't fit in the case with the GPU mounted vertically thing... and after some perusing through other builds in the same case, of which there aren't many... the 360 SE Classic radiator is the only one that fits in the bottom without the GPU vert mount... so even being completely numb to creativity, they missed two pretty key utilitarian issues I had in the cart selection that would have resulted in a product return one way or the other... so... there's that as well...

It's pretty normal for people to buy an arrangement of different bits for a custom loop including parts that might be mutually exclusive or not work together, to try multiple options etc. 

Seems to me like you've not really given this much thought and are getting annoyed at some poor customer service rep for giving some fairly reasonable answers to what was a rather incoherent and confusing sequence of questions. 

[ 5900X @4.7GHz PBO2 | X570S Aorus Pro | 32GB GSkill Trident Z 3600MHz CL16 | EK-Quantum Reflection ]
[ ASUS RTX4080 TUF OC @3000MHz | O11D-XL | HardwareLabs GTS and GTX 360mm | XSPC D5 SATA ]

[ TechN / Phanteks G40 Blocks | Corsair AX750 | ROG Swift PG279Q | Q-Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4 ]

Where in the loop are you intending on putting the extra res, and for what purpose? The only place I could logically see one going in terms of loop order is essentially feeding into the distro res and pump, which I can't see working with the port arrangement on the distro. 

the logical loop order doesn't matter... the liquid reaches an ambient temp after a few cycles and stays there regardless of configuration... so a helix res could go before/after the CPU run from the distro block for the purpose of filling the blank space in the top-right and looking cool... because it's a custom loop... it's there to look cool.... I was curious if it needed a pump cause it seems like a helix res should pressurize and be no different than running an indirect route with hardline? I could be wrong?

nobody "needs" a custom loop.... it is by definition excessive.... with proper airflow you can overclock your CPU with air just as high and its more cost effective to save your money to upgrade your GPU later as opposed to waterblocking/overclocking it... custom loops are an almost entirely aesthetic waste of money... any argument against that is silly... watercooling ram is silly but they sell blocks for it... watercooling a m.2 is silly but they sell blocks for it...

That's far from clear in your initial post, in fact the only clear and coherent component related question seems to be about monoblocks versus standard CPU blocks and they answered that very directly.

The third question you ask them is basically nonsense. EKWB don't make any displays or "waterfalls" and I pity the poor Slovenian who had to work out what you meant by "turnymajigs".

I'm not surprised they won't give you any suggestions for pointless crap to fill your loop with, I'm sure they're dreading the inevitable "iTs NoT wOrKiNg PrOpErLy" RMA they'll get because you've ruined your loop's cooling capability by turning it into an RGB Niagara Falls.

I was clarifying the OP with that note... and they answered the monoblock vs cpu block question vs "ease of installation" in a hardline build........ I'm surprised he didn't also recommend soft tube honestly...

they sell all sorts of flow meters/indicator "turnymajigs"......... "pointless crap" he could have pointed me to... the flow meter on their site says it needs to be paired with a flow controller that I can't find on the site... so.... there's that....

When more than half of them.are products they don't actually make, then yeah. 

they have products that are in line with the question

It's pretty normal for people to buy an arrangement of different bits for a custom loop including parts that might be mutually exclusive or not work together, to try multiple options etc. 

Seems to me like you've not really given this much thought and are getting annoyed at some poor customer service rep for giving some fairly reasonable answers to what was a rather incoherent and confusing sequence of questions. 

I get buying extra fittings, sure.... $100 rads / $75 gpu vert holders that don't physically work together and the rad doesn't physically fit in the bottom of the case due to pump clearance regardless? Nobody intentionally does that....

Look dude, I don't know if you like... had a bad day and wanted to let off some steam or whatever on the internet... but I'm 36... I've been building computers since I was 12... this is my first custom loop, with a basically unlimited budget, and I wanted to have a little fun with it and not do the preprogrammed-from-the-distro-block build that are the default runs for that case... the support response made me roll my eyes a little and I thought it was funny... that's why I posted it here... I'm dreadfully sorry it offends you I that I thought the EK Support guy might want to have fun with a support ticket and I posted his unspectacular response...

If you'd like to help in place of being a condescending asshole, it's welcome... but like... seriously... I'm bout to build $6000+ rig and you're sucking the fun out of it 

On 10/1/2021 at 6:10 AM, DrunkenPanda said:

you're not wrong.... it was just tee'd up for them to upsale something cool and be creative... and I get the technician that's been numb to the world since his hamster died when he was 7

So she answers your questions, with good responses. It's not like they can sell other companies' products even if they wanted to. I don't see what she did wrong. I'm sorry she didn't recommend a second water block so you can add a Pi4+ to your loop. 

On 10/1/2021 at 5:53 AM, DrunkenPanda said:

It depends, if you also want to cool the motherboard or not

11 minutes ago, DrunkenPanda said:

nd they answered the monoblock vs cpu block question

That was only part of their answer. 

13 minutes ago, DrunkenPanda said:

but I'm 36... I've been building computers since I was 12... this is my first custom loop

This comes across as very temper tantrummy.

14 minutes ago, DrunkenPanda said:

I'm dreadfully sorry it offends you I that I thought the EK Support guy might want to have fun with a support ticket and I posted his unspectacular response...

Have you thought maybe they wanted to, but couldn't because company policy? Jan answered your questions with a response and reasoning for that response. What's wrong with that?

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

20 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

This comes across as very temper tantrummy.

did you read this dude's responses? o.O

I had not considered the company policy thing... I thought the response to an open-ended "take my money" thing was so unspectacular it was amusing... it wasn't incorrect... it was just amusing... I kind of understand the army of utilitarian EK Support defenders here, but like, they also missed a clear RMA... I'm still clearly about purchase a large sum of products from them... lol... the support team just reminded me how they were a satellite state of the USSR years ago

they also *do* have many products that would have fit the bill listed on their site

So does anybody know if I need a secondary pump for a helix res or ?

37 minutes ago, DrunkenPanda said:

did you read this dude's responses? o.O

Yes, and I agree with him. Depending on company guidelines, the CS agent did the best they can. Did you read your respone?

38 minutes ago, DrunkenPanda said:

I kind of understand the army of utilitarian EK Support defenders here, but like, they also missed a clear RMA.

Just to clear up. I've never bought anything from EK. I have no reason to defend them as a company. What I'm disagreeing with is 

On 10/1/2021 at 6:10 AM, DrunkenPanda said:

it was just tee'd up for them to upsale something cool and be creative... and I get the technician that's been numb to the world since his hamster died when he was 7

your reaction. There wasn't any actual bad CS in there. They answered your questions, gave reasoning for their answers and moved on. Like they're probably told to by their supervisors, and their supervisors. It's not like CS can just sit back and chat with you for an hour or hour and a half about different bits and bobs you might want to buy. That's a waste of their time. Also, how did they miss a clear RMA?

41 minutes ago, DrunkenPanda said:

the support team just reminded me how they were a satellite state of the USSR years ago

Have you considered that possibly reflecting on what Jan was and wasn't able to say to you in a CS chat?

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

52 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

Yes, and I agree with him. Depending on company guidelines, the CS agent did the best they can. Did you read your respone?

Just to clear up. I've never bought anything from EK. I have no reason to defend them as a company. What I'm disagreeing with is 

your reaction. There wasn't any actual bad CS in there. They answered your questions, gave reasoning for their answers and moved on. Like they're probably told to by their supervisors, and their supervisors. It's not like CS can just sit back and chat with you for an hour or hour and a half about different bits and bobs you might want to buy. That's a waste of their time. Also, how did they miss a clear RMA?

Have you considered that possibly reflecting on what Jan was and wasn't able to say to you in a CS chat?

Do I need a pump for a helix res?

Y'all don't see the humor in the EK Support response.... ok.... GOT IT.... 

36 minutes ago, DrunkenPanda said:

A helix reservoir is literally just a reservoir with a piece of plastic in it, so as it does not have any pumping capabilities on its own, it needs a pump. Whether you need another one in addition to the stock DDC, I would guess not.

Look dude, I don't know if you like... had a bad day and wanted to let off some steam or whatever on the internet... but I'm 36... I've been building computers since I was 12... this is my first custom loop, with a basically unlimited budget, and I wanted to have a little fun 

You came on here to bitch about what you think is poor customer service. I simply explained why that probably isn't the case.

If you want to be petulant and throw your toys out of the pram because you don't agree, that's you're prerogative, but unlike you I do have experience of designing and building custom loops (and I mean "design and then have CNC milled a custom distro-plate, plus various 3D printed parts" "custom" here, not "throw a big pile of money at the world's biggest water cooling component vendor for trinkets" custom).

An EK customer service rep is not going to be Alex Banks. Expecting them to help you design and build a truly custom money no object loop is riduculous.

I'm sure they'd have a good crack and helping you with suggestions and recommendations if you actually had coherent preformed ideas (I don't have any particular affinity for EK but I must admit their customer service has been excellent when I've inquired about weird and wonderful stuff like the paints they use for fittings). If you want something special and showstopping, either put in the groundwork yourself or pay someone who actually does that for a job.

Don't whine about some poor first line support contact whose dealing with 300 queries and 120 RMA requests a day in 6 different languages because they won't indulge your vapid whims.

the logical loop order doesn't matter... 

The location of a reservoir within the loop does, though.

I was curious if it needed a pump cause it seems like a helix res should pressurize and be no different than running an indirect route with hardline? I could be wrong?

Having an unpumped reservoir in between components that are dependent on flow rate for effective cooling is likely to significantly decrease the cooling capacity of the blocks in question. Logically the best place to put a second res would be feeding directly into the distro reservoir, but I don't see any way of doing that feasibly. 

nobody "needs" a custom loop

No shit 🙄

and they answered the monoblock vs cpu block question vs "ease of installation" in a hardline build........ 

Which is reasonable- most EK CPU blocks can be orientated for both horizontal and vertical port placement whereas the monoblocks are either one or the other. The 303 distro has vertical port placement so it's true that a CPU block would allow straight runs and remove the need to run bends or fittings, whereas depending on the specific model and motherboard a monoblock may well not.

Which I'd expect you probably would have realised had you given this anything like the level of consideration and planning that most people would give a custom loop. 

they sell all sorts of flow meters/indicator "turnymajigs"...

...the flow meter on their site says it needs to be paired with a flow controller that I can't find on the site... so.... there's that....

As a native English speaker I can take a good guess at what you mean by "turnymajigs" but EK are Slovenia based, and although their English has been excellent every time I've ever spoken to them (most recently trying to get the information to correctly paint colour match their satin Titanium Fittings) expecting a customer service representative speaking a second, third or fourth language to try and twig exactly what you're talking about is a bit unreasonable.

The digital flow meters require an EK-Loop Connect https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-loop-connect. They're listed as EOL and IIRC they were pretty poor products with a myriad of bugs that EK quietly retired and refunded buyers of. No idea why EK still sell the flow meters though. Obviously the visual only flow meters don't need a controller, but they're totally pointless because you'll know pretty quickly if you have a pump failure or blockage.

they have products that are in line with the question

They don't sell either displays or "waterfalls", which is literally two thirds of what you requested. 

I wanted to have a little fun with it and not do the preprogrammed-from-the-distro-block build that are the default runs for that case... 

That's literally the whole point in distro plates. You want to do something different? Either design your own, have someone design one for you, or don't use one. 

and I posted his unspectacular response...

Nothing says "I'm a colossal diva and generally unreasonable human being" like talking shit about a customer service rep doing their job because they won't indulge your petty whims or incoherent drivel. 

16 hours ago, For Science! said:

A helix reservoir is literally just a reservoir with a piece of plastic in it, so as it does not have any pumping capabilities on its own, it needs a pump. Whether you need another one in addition to the stock DDC, I would guess not.

thank you... I've been asking this for about 3 days now and people keep wanting to recycle their talking points after I agreed with them...

thank you for actually being helpful and answering a question...