rx 470 getting low hashrate on etc

hi, i was just trying out my new rx 470 i got, it should reach about 29 to 31 mh/s but i am only getting to 25. Any idea why this is (the thermals arent the problem and the original owner was also able to reach 29 on it) 

I don't think you should be able to reach that much... 25 is probably fine for a standard rx 470.

Did you upload a customized firmware which lowers the memory timings? He probably got higher hash rate like that, with different memory settings in the video card bios.

1 minute ago, mariushm said:

I don't think you should be able to reach that much... 25 is probably fine for a standard rx 470.

Did you upload a customized firmware which lowers the memory timings? He probably got higher hash rate like that, with different memory settings in the video card bios.

yeah it has a mining bios on it 

5 minutes ago, mariushm said:

i just remember that i tried reflashing it to a normal bios, so maybe that changed things. I am trying to reflash it now 

1 minute ago, Caroline said:

swap the memory timings on radeon control panel before you run the mining software, set it to level 2 if you're running it over 1750MHz and restart the drivers or your computer

I copied the "restart.exe" included with CRU onto my mining rig and it does its job pretty well

i am using hiveos, so i dont think i have a radeon control panel 

1 minute ago, Caroline said:

oh, that's bad then

how many cards are you running? you'll have to reflash or set everything manually if you don't have the control panel.

ive only gotten 1 just yet, yeah i was just trying to reflash it bit it wont for some reason 

im looking after a rig for a friend. it has an asortment of cards 480's and 580's i find the hashrates on them to be quite inconsistent. i have some running around 27-29mh/s and some dont make it that far at about 22-24mh/s i think it just depends on the cards. there are some rx 5700's in the rig and i find they are much more consistent  i run windows and have played with the oc quite a bit trying to get the less performing ones to perform better but i have given up trying to squeeze every last mh out of the cards and just run a mild underclock on the core with timings level 1. its stable and it works. 

7 hours ago, OscarMike said:

im looking after a rig for a friend. it has an asortment of cards 480's and 580's i find the hashrates on them to be quite inconsistent. i have some running around 27-29mh/s and some dont make it that far at about 22-24mh/s i think it just depends on the cards.

I have 3 used 580s and they are only stable 24/7 from 27-29 Mh/s. At one time they were able to run higher, but some of them seemed to have degraded that I have to lower the settings so it would be stable to run all week without any crashing/reseting. If the previous owner was able to get 29 Mh/s just before you acquired it then try to get the profiles he was using. If that was what he was getting 2 years ago then current settings may not work anymore.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X   Motherboard: MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi   Case: Deepcool Maxtrexx 70   GPU: RTX 3090   RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3x16GB 3200 MHz   PSU: Super Flower 850W

On 10/4/2021 at 6:27 PM, alyen said:

I have 3 used 580s and they are only stable 24/7 from 27-29 Mh/s. At one time they were able to run higher, but some of them seemed to have degraded that I have to lower the settings so it would be stable to run all week without any crashing/reseting. If the previous owner was able to get 29 Mh/s just before you acquired it then try to get the profiles he was using. If that was what he was getting 2 years ago then current settings may not work anymore.

are all the cards of the same brand? we had 8 cards in the rig. not a single one is the same. all different makes and models. each one has a different thermal solution. i think thats why our rig is so inconsistent. we have a rx 5700xt running at 60c and another one we had to pull out because it was getting hotter than 85c on the same settings. i have a personal rig too and the best performing card in it is a rx 480 wich had a broken fan controller so i pulled the fans off and cable tied 2 small case fans to it. its now the coolest card now in the rig by about 20c. 😛

2 hours ago, OscarMike said:

are all the cards of the same brand?

Some cards have similar result in hash rates with the same profiles. Usually have to tune them individually if trying to run them efficient. I do have 2 identical cards that are not 580s with the exact same in profiles that perform the same and even voltage is the same. I think parts could wear down at a different rate over time.

2 hours ago, OscarMike said:

i have a personal rig too and the best performing card in it is a rx 480 wich had a broken fan controller so i pulled the fans off and cable tied 2 small case fans to it. its now the coolest card now in the rig by about 20c.

I have noticed 25mm thick 92mm fan can get cooler results with lower RPM than some stock GPU fans. I think it may have to do with the thicker fan blade gives the fan more static pressure.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X   Motherboard: MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi   Case: Deepcool Maxtrexx 70   GPU: RTX 3090   RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3x16GB 3200 MHz   PSU: Super Flower 850W

1 hour ago, alyen said:

I have noticed 25mm thick 92mm fan can get cooler results with lower RPM than some stock GPU fans. I think it may have to do with the thicker fan blade gives the fan more static pressure.

definately. iv noticed that gpu fans actually move very little air. the blades are just too thin