Uses for an internal USB 3.0 port

johnross

I recently added a usb pcie 1x card to my desktop pc so I could have a few usb type c ports. The card also has 2 internal usb 3.0 ports(not headers actual ports) , what are some things you would do with a USB port inside of your pc? I was thinking of plugging in a usb thumbdrive with a windows installer on it and maybe nanite, making it read only, so if i ever need to reformat, or what about using a thumbdrive for readyboost? any other ideas? alternate OS's, usb wireless mouse/keyboard dongle? looking for odd uses, Thanks

8 minutes ago, johnross said:

I recently added a usb pcie 1x card to my desktop pc so I could have a few usb type c ports. The card also has 2 internal usb 3.0 ports(not headers actual ports) , what are some things you would do with a USB port inside of your pc? I was thinking of plugging in a usb thumbdrive with a windows installer on it and maybe nanite, making it read only, so if i ever need to reformat, or what about using a thumbdrive for readyboost? any other ideas? alternate OS's, usb wireless mouse/keyboard dongle? looking for odd uses, Thanks

Alternate OS is a pretty neat idea, a lightweight linux distro maybe? I wouldn't bother perma-installing a Windows installation stick in there as you'd always want to download the latest build before.

those are meant to connect to internal usb devices like hardware controllers for lights/fans/pumps

image.png.ca695d935a5d0e516a2666ca5ed7ac7d.png

I used a few of those.

Slayerking92

<Type something witty here>
<Link to some pcpartpicker fantasy build and claim as my own>

18 minutes ago, emosun said:

those are meant to connect to internal usb devices like hardware controllers for lights/fans/pumps

USB headers, yes, but an actual port? Most of the devices that you're describing that I've seen want a USB2 header. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

14 minutes ago, Middcore said:

USB headers, yes, but an actual port? Most of the devices that you're describing that I've seen want a USB2 header. 

You can replace those "header" cables with a standard USB cable and use a normal USB port.

Slayerking92

<Type something witty here>
<Link to some pcpartpicker fantasy build and claim as my own>