Opinion on RGB mousepads?

FRD

I'd like to hear your opinion on RGB mousepads. Lately I've been "upgrading" to RGB stuff, but I've been doubting about the mousepad.

I already use a big mousepad that I'm happy with, but I need a bigger one for more space. RIght now an RGB mousepad is on sale, but I'm really doubting if I should get it. I read bad things about them more often than good.

Are they good? Are they cleanable? Will the RGB eventually die or get weaker? Will the stitching get loose?

They usually look crappy from pictures, most are also by cheap unknown brands. Even on reviews the mousepads never lay flat and are wrinkled. Some say they're much more slippery than normal pads. Is this true?

I also see branded ones like Razer, Steelseries that cost like $50 or more, but I don't want to spend that amount.

I find them totally unnecessary. The only ones of remote value IMO are the ones that ALSO have built-in wireless charging for a wireless mouse.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

Unnecessary for me.  My desk is lighted.  My keyboard is lighted.  My speakers are lighted.  My mouse is lighted.  My mouse bungee is lighted.  Not much point.

15 hours ago, emosun said:

it's not possible to generalize every single product into a single response. find an rgb mousepad you like then read reviews on it.

Very true. For this topic, let's say I'm talking about budget and not too expensive branded and non-branded RGB mousepads. The average Chinese quality you can except. Worth it or a waste of money? I often read they don't last very long.

15 hours ago, RAS_3885 said:

I find them totally unnecessary. The only ones of remote value IMO are the ones that ALSO have built-in wireless charging for a wireless mouse.

That's possible. The ones with built-in charging are really cool, just generally pretty expensive. It's nice if you're into it though.

15 hours ago, IPD said:

Unnecessary for me.  My desk is lighted.  My keyboard is lighted.  My speakers are lighted.  My mouse is lighted.  My mouse bungee is lighted.  Not much point.

For me my keyboard, mouse and monitor stand are lighted. My speakers and headset aren't lighted.

14 hours ago, rickeo said:

This RGB mousepad is pretty neat and no power required! 

https://www.lttstore.com/products/deskpad

LTT Store dot com!

The best RGB mousepad without actual RGB.
I'd get one, but I'm from overseas and shipping and import duties will add up a lot.

5 minutes ago, Betterthanever said:

If it's not stiff and possible to pack easily then I guess it's a good choice for you @FRD. I mean really if it makes your setup more attractive and you have cash to spend on a mousepad with an RGB add on then go for it. I personally admire lighted up setups.

If anything to help you choose more wisely I am leaving this link here:

https://www.pcgamer.com/best-mouse-pad-for-gaming/

The main reason is actually that I just need a bigger mousepad, I need 20cm extra and a certain big RGB mousepad is only sale right now. It's the same price as a "normal" mousepad, so I can get either without paying more.

I like RGB myself too, but at times I also like to turn off the RGB for a stealth look.

Thanks for the link. A lot of good mousepads there. I'm actually looking for a desk mousepad, not a normal pad. I prefer not spending more than $30 on a mousepad (even though I use a $100 mouse lol).

4 minutes ago, Betterthanever said:

If you are aiming for "one layer mousepad" then check out this one as well. Not an RGB one but very solid.

https://www.dreammachines.io/en/dmpadxxl

Nice, but I'm not from Poland though, they only ship there.

What's a one layer mousepad? Do multiple layer mousepads exist then?

I prefer a thicker mousepad for the soft feel. Are RGB mousepads also one layer? In that case I'm not sure if I want a RGB mousepad.

My opinion: I'd just save up and get a bigger mousepad for cheaper, maybe if Steel Series had a really big desk mousepad with the anti-fray thing, that would be what I'd get. The reason for this is because I think it'd be too much light, as I play games in the dark, and I play very low light games such as the forest, and and phasmo. So having RGB around my mousepad, something that I don't need highlighted would be an eyesore and a mood killer.

RGB on the actual mouse would be needed so you knew where it was, but  not on the mousepad.

But hey, that's just my opinion and take on it.

Also I generally don't like RGB, having RGB in a mousepad seems like waaaaaaaaaay to much RGB, and cost... general cost.

12 hours ago, FRD said:

LTT Store dot com!

The best RGB mousepad without actual RGB.

I love it, didn't even know it existed.

The bigger then better!

Just need a bigger desk XD

11 hours ago, IPD said:

I'm disappointed it isn't the actual Aurora.  I really wanted a pad that looked like this:

northern-lights-over-torne-river-icehote

I'll keep my matrix pad though. 

https://www.amazon.com/Extended-Stitched-Professional-29-5x15-7In-Waterproof/dp/B085GJ3RKG

That would be cool for sure. Just wait until the future where they make entirely lighted RGB mousepads or mousepads with a screen behind. It would cost a lot though. The matrix pad is also cool. Personally I'm not into printed mousepads, but it can really give your setup a unique look.

8 hours ago, Elijah Kamski said:

My opinion: I'd just save up and get a bigger mousepad for cheaper, maybe if Steel Series had a really big desk mousepad with the anti-fray thing, that would be what I'd get. The reason for this is because I think it'd be too much light, as I play games in the dark, and I play very low light games such as the forest, and and phasmo. So having RGB around my mousepad, something that I don't need highlighted would be an eyesore and a mood killer.

RGB on the actual mouse would be needed so you knew where it was, but  not on the mousepad.

But hey, that's just my opinion and take on it.

Also I generally don't like RGB, having RGB in a mousepad seems like waaaaaaaaaay to much RGB, and cost... general cost.

Yeah, the RGB can also be bad. My setup has a lot of RGB though, but I figured that I don't need to go all out maybe.

I might upgrade to a bigger long lasting mousepad instead of a cheap RGB mousepad. Actually first I still need a RGB mouse, currently the one I have doesn't have enough.

RGB is something you like or dislike. It's not necessary and usually RGB things cost more for just lights anyway.

8 hours ago, Elijah Kamski said:

I love it, didn't even know it existed.

The bigger then better!

Just need a bigger desk XD

Haha, then you need to watch more Linus Tech Tips, it's promoted in every few videos.

They make really huge sizes too. I could even get one that covers like a meter of my desk.

Buy a big one as use it as table cloth! Seriously don't do that though, I've seen people do that, it's supposed to be a mousepad. LOL

Surface lighted mousepads can't be far away.  We've had lighted paintings for years.

13 hours ago, IPD said:

Surface lighted mousepads can't be far away.  We've had lighted paintings for years.

Yes!

11 hours ago, Elijah Kamski said:

Guys

OLED mouspads with the surface of graphic tablets.

The next big thing XD

Yep, the time will come some day!

48 minutes ago, Betterthanever said:

Bro @FRD just get a huge as big mousepad

I probably should. My 80cm one is not big enough, so I need at least 1 meter or more. LTT Store does have them though, but they even make sizes that are too big for most desks.

7 hours ago, Betterthanever said:

what desks are you having in mind? 120 cm desk is like the standard

I haven't measured my desk for a long time, but it's about 2 meter, it's huge. Of course I don't want to cover it fully with a mousepad. I also don't like to put my monitor on my mousepad and others things, it will just leave a mark and hard to clean. I need a long mousepad that's not too wide, I prefer 40cm, max 50cm.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2021 at 1:02 AM, FRD said:

I'd like to hear your opinion on RGB mousepads. Lately I've been "upgrading" to RGB stuff, but I've been doubting about the mousepad.

I think it looks kinda unusual. It's cool but cost is an issue and the size matters too the small one would look like a floating ufo and the daddy big ones that covers the desk is better imo even tho i have seen desks or desk modders add nice RGB strips to their desk. So ye it makes your setup look more rgb. And cooler bc RGB is cool 😎