Extreme custom water cooling

Hello,

would it be possible to have a completely dust proof desktop pc if you could, 3d print your own case and create your own water cooling system? 

When I say cooling system I mean one that extends  out of the case and one that maybe works differently.. and perhaps find a way to not only cool the water more efficiently but even heavily drop its temperature?

1 minute ago, JioFunny said:

Hello,

would it be possible to have a completely dust proof desktop pc if you could, 3d print your own case and create your own water cooling system? 

When I say cooling system I mean one that extends  out of the case and one that maybe works differently.. and perhaps find a way to not only cool the water more efficiently but even heavily drop its temperature?

Possible and practical are two very different things. You COULD run your water pipes out the pc and into a walk in freezer, but that wouldn't make sense. If you want to build your own case, good luck, but trying to get too weird with watercooling is asking for unneeded complexity IMHO

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

Probably, but sound more expensive than getting just normal water cooling or place a computer at a high point with zero flat-surfaces the dust can settle on..

Again, water cooling on the market now is good enough as it is even if its a bit pricy.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

If you're putting that much effort in, why not just run the pipes to a radiator outside. Or do whole room watercooling with copper tubing?

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

@MultiGamerClub, @IkeaGnome,  @Jtalk4456

Guys.. this is just thoughts.. say you got unlimited budget.. and you could even create a custom room specially designed to work with your cooling system. I really meant extreme. 

I don't think you necessarily add complexity. Plus you could perhaps even make it completely different system who knows.. with a propeller perhaps.. and make it even less complex and easier as far as maintenance is concerned and specially designed to be so.

-> Moved to Custom Loop and Exotic Cooling, please use the appropriate section for your topics.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

5 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

If you're putting that much effort in, why not just run the pipes to a radiator outside. Or do whole room watercooling with copper tubing?

Yes.. Yes!! Something like this. Even a room specially made for it. Adjusted. But extremely efficient at the same time. Like 45 degrees full load on GPU or something silly low like that.

2 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

-> Moved to Custom Loop and Exotic Cooling, please use the appropriate section for your topics.

My apologies!! Sorry new here.. thank you!

1 minute ago, JioFunny said:

Yes.. Yes!! Something like this. Even a room specially made for it. Adjusted. But extremely efficient at the same time. Like 45 degrees full load on GPU or something silly low like that.

Give this series a watch. Might give you some ideas. Younger, funner Linus did this with multiple PCs in the loop.

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

So basically the thought is, create something extreme so you can achieve 3 things:

1. Completely sealed dustproof pc

2. Extremely lower components temperatures

3. Designed in a way it is in fact easier to maintain. 

1 minute ago, IkeaGnome said:

Give this series a watch. Might give you some ideas. Younger, funner Linus did this with multiple PCs in the loop.

I did watch this video of his, but as far as I remember the way he made it it was not much more efficient.. he did not achieve much and he was disappointed..

14 minutes ago, JioFunny said:

I did watch this video of his, but as far as I remember the way he made it it was not much more efficient.. he did not achieve much and he was disappointed..

I can't remember where he went wrong in it, but his issues might help give ideas. Something that could be simple and give a boost to temp drops, an aquarium. More water mass=longer before water heats up. If it gets too hot, just add ice.

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

17 minutes ago, JioFunny said:

So basically the thought is, create something extreme so you can achieve 3 things:

1. Completely sealed dustproof pc

2. Extremely lower components temperatures

3. Designed in a way it is in fact easier to maintain. 

Chiller + Heat Exchanger + passively dissipated sealed case with no airflow. Done

8 minutes ago, JioFunny said:

I don't think you necessarily add complexity

ok fair enough, whatcha got in mind?

9 minutes ago, JioFunny said:

create a custom room specially designed to work with your cooling system.

with a propeller perhaps

15 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

Or do whole room watercooling with copper tubing?

Not to be rude, but what do you think complexity means??
Jokes aside those are all overly complex for the job they're doing. What you're asking is to make something extreme for the purpose of being extreme, just something balls to the walls, totally unique, and with very few exceptions, that means more complex. Now if you're willing to deal with the extra complexity of a whole room watercooling system, or dragging pipes outside, adding propellers or whatever you decide to go for, you go for it. But you can't have an extreme solution and expect it to be LESS complex.

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

8 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

I can't remember where he went wrong in it, but his issues might help give ideas. Something that could be simple and give a boost to temp drops, an aquarium. More water mass=longer before water heats up. If it gets too hot, just add ice.

I'm realising there's in fact many ways to do it.. that's so cool.. and through custom made parts you could make it even lower maintenance than normal watercooling.. considering your case is dustproof. 

As long as you have the budget, custom made parts and well.. time!

3 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

ok fair enough, whatcha got in mind?

Not to be rude, but what do you think complexity means??
Jokes aside those are all overly complex for the job they're doing. What you're asking is to make something extreme for the purpose of being extreme, just something balls to the walls, totally unique, and with very few exceptions, that means more complex. Now if you're willing to deal with the extra complexity of a whole room watercooling system, or dragging pipes outside, adding propellers or whatever you decide to go for, you go for it. But you can't have an extreme solution and expect it to be LESS complex.

Yes. But no? I mean.. it will be more complex as far as what it is as a whole system. But does that matter? If it gives you lower temps and the MOST important.. less maintenance needed.. because of 1. Dustproof pc and 2. Yes. You could make the rest of the system simple enough that it is easier to maintain and you don't have to mess with the actual pc. So what I am trying to say.. the amount of less complexity in maintenance is worth 10 times more than the complexity of the system as a whole.. 

Planning on mounting my own hardware in the roof so no dust can collect one day.. That is unless i chuck the box outside and stretch long cables so i dont need to care about dust.. But im not sure my aio can withstand 15 minus celcius degrees in norway from the upcoming winter.

^ Good idea if you want cooler pc without thinking about any dust or noise.. Or atleast if you dont even want the pc near you at all..

Kind of defeats the purpose of having a pc to move around but hey.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

12 minutes ago, JioFunny said:

I'm realising there's in fact many ways to do it.. that's so cool.. and through custom made parts you could make it even lower maintenance than normal watercooling.. considering your case is dustproof. 

As long as you have the budget, custom made parts and well.. time!

If you haven't seen the chiller set up I think @For Science!is talking about(correct me if I'm wrong), I think they mean similar to this. 

Is it dangerous? Yes. Is it cool? Yes. Could it be fun, yes!

4 minutes ago, MultiGamerClub said:

But im not sure my aio can withstand 15 minus celcius degrees in norway from the upcoming winter.

That could make for a fun test. I've got an old Thermaltake AIO I might give this a go with. Enough Glycol and it won't freeze, too little and it'll be a mess. If you remind me when I get back home from your neck of the woods, I could probably throw together a donor system to test this in. Around December I should be at that temperature or lower. The part of Alaska I live in will get down to -30 C somewhat regularly in winter. Occasionally we might get unlucky and get even colder. Could test different temps if I think about it.

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Just now, IkeaGnome said:

That could make for a fun test. I've got an old Thermaltake AIO I might give this a go with. Enough Glycol and it won't freeze, too little and it'll be a mess. If you remind me when I get back home from your neck of the woods, I could probably throw together a donor system to test this in. Around December I should be at that temperature or lower. The part of Alaska I live in will get down to -30 C somewhat regularly in winter. Occasionally we might get unlucky and get even colder. Could test different temps if I think about it.

That would be cool, i already have a room next to me that could ventilate hot air outside or leave the door open to make the room freezing temperatures. (Storage place inside my house, seperate door to access it from the outside.) Currently just random stuff in the room, but could be viable solution for more colder and more "cooler" graphics card..

Not sure if its a good idea as i still cand find the key to said room / door but haha 🙂, one day i will find it lol.

Probably better to get a O11 dynamic and wire some PWM fans with full water cooling for both cpu and gpu combined..

But im not sure its worth unscrewing and removing the SUPRIM X's air cooling on my 3080 ti..

But man it would be cool.

@IkeaGnome, @MultiGamerClub

Well that's crazy.. and the cables? Will that long cables be okay to use? It's interesting though.. if cables are no issue.. you also get silence. That would be amazing. Silence is indeed something else an extreme system could give you.. I forgot about it even though it was in my thoughts before I post here. Complete silence with special foam around on the walls and a complete silent keyboard as well. #Goals

9 minutes ago, MultiGamerClub said:

i already have a room next to me that could ventilate hot air outside or leave the door open to make the room freezing temperatures.

Bod?

4 minutes ago, JioFunny said:

Will that long cables be okay to use? It's interesting though.. if cables are no issue.. you also get silence.

I have no clue. As cool as a chiller would be to use, I've not looked more into it. That's not something I need in my life. Kid me says I need it. Sometimes I have to shut up kid me though. On a simpler note, if silence is what you want, have you thought about just going massive air cooler and lots of fans on low RPM? Or a fully passive computer? 

https://www.monsterlabo.com/the-beast

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

3 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

Bod?

I have no clue. As cool as a chiller would be to use, I've not looked more into it. That's not something I need in my life. Kid me says I need it. Sometimes I have to shut up kid me though. On a simpler note, if silence is what you want, have you thought about just going massive air cooler and lots of fans on low RPM? Or a fully passive computer? 

https://www.monsterlabo.com/the-beast

Kid me is always behind all these.. but what can you do aight..

Yes I have thought of it for sure. Huge CPU cooler on gpu etc.. but still. THAT will be complex. Also not dustproof. And not dead silent like water cooling system that has the loud parts in a different room perhaps. If you go that for it.. why not special water cooling system that will allow me to have a dustproof pc..

4 minutes ago, JioFunny said:

why not special water cooling system that will allow me to have a dustproof pc..

Well.... you eliminate all the fans. 

Huge radiator surface area and keep the fans off. Mounted, just off. 

Dissipate the heat with rads outside the case with the above.

That's the nice thing about liquid cooling. You are literally "transporting" heat. So transport outside the case.

Lastly, one of my favorites that I use on my bench is Tap to Drain. Not practical for a daily rig maybe, but for overclocking it has served me well without the need for more than a block and some tubing. Draw back is unfiltered water creates a build up. Bi-Yearly cleaning of the block is a must.

Doesn't sound that revolutionary/new and it won't give you any advantage over something like LN2 extreme overclocking.

Having your system in an airtight and insulated box isn't that hard. 

External radiators exist (i.e. MoRa) or go with a 2 fluid heat exchanger to run chilled coolant through that heat exchanger dramatically increasing ΔT.

Dehumidifiers also exist to tackle the risk of condensation

It's quite energy inefficient and cumbersome for extreme overclocking when LN2 is actually very simple reaching lower temps.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

I really just need to make my loop-reveal video or some shit and Fiverr an editor for it.  But yeah I've basically done what you're asking for although I don't have capability to go sub-ambient because then my desktop enclosure would have to be fully air tight and inert gas purged and routing cables out while maintaining that would be a pain in the ass.  I've scoped it out but decided it's not really worth the effort.  I've gone sub-ambient water on a bench setup and it doesn't really buy anything but condensation problems.  You need sub-zero to really get better overclocks.

Anyways, I just run tap water 24/7 to keep all of my systems cooled.  There is fans to blow 'cold' air from the radiators (the opposite of how radiators are usually used...I'm trying to heat up the water to cool the air in the case) but it's a closed box with 3" of foam on all sides to be silent.  The loudest thing in the room is shit 99% of people wouldn't be able to hear normally like power bricks buzzing, monitor humming, etc.  I've had to change out USB hubs because they were too noisy vs. the noise floor.  Did you know my Razer keyboard makes noise when the backlight is on?  Cause I noticed 🙂

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)