Which of the two M.2 ports is it better to use for OS boot storage device

huguberhart

Hello, I would like to ask about configuration of my system. I've searched the ASUS forums and other places, but the general question didn't exhaust my doubts.

I have ASUS Z370-I motherboard. I had two drives in M.2 slots. Samsung 960 Pro 1TB (OS) in the Sata/PCIe slot and a 950 Pro 256GB in the back PCIe only slot.

I've found a deal on a Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (I don't know why I don't buy other drives..) and today, I've replaced the smaller 256GB drive with the 980 model.

Question: Is it worth it to clone OS to the 980 storage device? Is the performance hit gonna "even out" with the 960 due to the only Gen3 slot available on the Z370-I?

Does it matter which M.2 slot/port has the faster drive (other than the added heatsink on one of the slots)?

Thank you

The 960 PRO is PCIe, right?

If both M.2 only support PCIe 3.0 then it doesn't matter which drive goes where. You're also spending extra for the 980's Gen4 capability that you won't be able to use, unless it's a really good deal you found.

Assuming both slots are 3.0 I wouldn't bother cloning the OS and would just leave it as is.

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

980 Pro is a PCI-e4.0 SSD that runs at PCI-e3.0 on your motherboard. There's no performance gain at all when you switch it with the 960 Pro or 950 Pro.

13 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

980 Pro is a PCI-e4.0 SSD that runs at PCI-e3.0 on your motherboard. There's no performance gain at all when you switch it with the 960 Pro or 950 Pro.

The heatsink may be a benefit however.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Thank you for the replys. I've initiated the 980 drive. In Samsung Magician there is info, that the driver used for NVMe is Microsoft. I've run the built in bench. Here are the results:

The heatsink seems to be useful for the 960 device. I have a NCase M1 and the drive on the back has some space. I have to get a low profile heatsink.

960_980_Drive_Information_20210929_after_Bench.png

17 hours ago, --SID-- said:

At 3.0 speed? I don't think so.

Yes, because under heavy load the controllers can still thermal throttle.

Its not necessarily the throughput but how long you're pushing that throughput.  Also with random read/writes, you're not limited by PCIe but by the NAND and controller.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

8 hours ago, huguberhart said:

Thank you for the replys. I've initiated the 980 drive. In Samsung Magician there is info, that the driver used for NVMe is Microsoft. I've run the built in bench. Here are the results:

The heatsink seems to be useful for the 960 device. I have a NCase M1 and the drive on the back has some space. I have to get a low profile heatsink.

960_980_Drive_Information_20210929_after_Bench.png

That pretty much confirms it, the random IOPS are so close I doubt you'd tell the difference between them for an OS drive.