SOLVED: is it my RAM or just an overloaded/hot system? (hint: it was neither)

Go to solution Solved by Jurrunio,

Does it stop crashing if you put the 8gb sticks back in now? Windows update also screws with stability and hopefully MSI has software updates (drivers and BIOS) for your laptop. My laptop had random crashes before which software updates fixed, but now software support pretty much ended and there's no fix to lockups when attempt to wake up after sleep. Not a big issue, but an issue nonetheless.

I bought a lightly used MSI GS 65 laptop for $800.

RAM: 16 GB
CPU: i7-8750H  (6 core)
Display Size: 15.6 inch
Storage Size: 512 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 Max-Q

My computer use as a classroom music teacher is very heavy.  So I upgraded to a second SSD (+1TB) and RAM from 16GB to 32GB total (Amazon: Crucial Ballistix 2666 MHz DDR4 DRAM Laptop Gaming Memory Kit 32GB (16GBx2) CL16 BL2K16G26C16S4B

I simultaneously run native 1080p on the laptop and HDMI extend to a 4k monitor for extra screen real estate. 
Running many high powered apps simultaneously:
1.Reaper DAW, with EQ, compression, reverb, etc fabfilters on dual microphones, and a midi keyboard running virtual piano, through connected audio interface.
2. Zoom
3. Xsplit broadcaster 1080 @ 30fps
4. Brave with multiple tabs open, including google spreadsheets, and youtube video. 
5. Tidal music app 

Problem:
Blue screen of Death, with multiple different codes, mostly Memory indicated. 0x000000001 often, but also randomly others. 
Sometimes when I used to game (cities skylines, which is very heavy RAM usage with mods) and OFTEN, every 20 - 180 minutes BSOD crashes me out. 
This issue never happened before I upgrade the RAM. 

Tried solutions:
1) Windows memory diagnostic tool: zero errors
2) Memtest86: zero errors
3) changed XMP settings from profile 2 (default 2400 mHz) to profile 1 (2666 mHz [maximum]) No difference. 

Since it doesn't crash right away, but once it starts crashing, it does so consistently every 20-40 minutes, sometimes quickly back to back, I am theorizing it could be thermal issues.
There's a buzzing sound coming from one of the fans. I hear this is a common problem in this laptop - the glue melts and you have to open it up and scrape some away. 

But the thermals seem pretty good for a thin and light. Most of the edges have venting and the internal solutions seemed robust when I had opened it to conduct upgrades. 

Otherwise I guess I'm just running too much stuff off of 6 cores.

Or the RAM is bad or somehow incompatible, even though two diagnostic tools found nothing wrong...

I don't really know. It's really aggravating to interrupt class at least once per class due to crashing laptop. The entire lesson usually depends upon it.

Does anybody have ideas?

20210921_141544.jpg

Just now, Mel0nMan said:

Seems like it could be an overheating issue and a RAM issue. Tried with different RAM? 

I can downgrade back to stock 8GBx2, since the issues didn't arise until the upgrade. I probably regularly use 14-18 GB of RAM daily driving, is the problem. But def need to try this solution. 

if it's a whole range of error codes, it's more likely to be a software issue than a hardware issue.

run cmd as administrator and enter following command:

sfc /scannow

and if that found something, run the following as well for good measure:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

if it's a whole range of error codes, it's more likely to be a software issue than a hardware issue.

run cmd as administrator and enter following command:

sfc /scannow

and if that found something, run the following as well for good measure:

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

Thanks I had run (and fixed multiple errors) using scannow last night and there are still random crashes.

I DID NOT KNOW about the dism / restore health.  Will try this now!!

1 minute ago, daft1986 said:

Thanks I had run (and fixed multiple errors) using scannow last night and there are still random crashes.

I DID NOT KNOW about the dism / restore health.  Will try this now!!

it's sort of a "chicken before the egg" thing though.. errors in system files can cause bluescreens, and bluescreens can cause errors in system files..

it's also worth checking in event logs what your system was doing right before the crash.

15 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

if you switch back and have no issues, then it could be likely what you changed.

I will have to test @ load, which can only do on-location tomorrow. Since followed the advice of @manikyath and ran /restorehealth just now, time will tell. 

If in fact it is the RAM from crucial, I wonder if it's all gonna be the same if I RMA and replace it, or if another brand might be more "compatible". RAM was purchased a good deal of time ago, back on April 7, 2021. I use the quotes because both diagnostic tests came up with nothing, so...   will try the 16 GB downgrade and report in another day.

Does it stop crashing if you put the 8gb sticks back in now? Windows update also screws with stability and hopefully MSI has software updates (drivers and BIOS) for your laptop. My laptop had random crashes before which software updates fixed, but now software support pretty much ended and there's no fix to lockups when attempt to wake up after sleep. Not a big issue, but an issue nonetheless.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

1 hour ago, Jurrunio said:

What a great idea I overlooked. I just flashed the Bios and the Intel ME FW update also listed under Bios on MSI's webpage. Also used an intel tool to update 4 lapsed drivers. 

If that doesn't fix this... then we'll do the ram downgrade.

Thanks so much!

SOLVED: by updating BIOS and drivers, the crashing problem does not persist. System is stable, and no components need replacement.

Thanks to all who contributed advice!!

• 3 weeks later...

Replaced the 16x2 RAM modules with the original 8x2.   Looking for stability. Damn.  Mostly stable now, with the occasional <1/day crash. It'll do.