Whitish screen in Windows 10

JioFunny

Hello,

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section.

So I have an MSI Optix MAG251RX 24.5" Gaming Monitor

I only have used it for 3 months. I never had a problem with it. Windows 10 and rtx 2060 gpu just to let you know.

My problem: One day.. I was overclocking my gpu with msi afterburner.. and I don't remember the reason.. but I was restarting windows 10 like a lot. (Not because I had a problem.. I had a reason I was doing that)

And suddenly, after it booted up into lock screen.. screen turned almost completely white.. but not full white. Like transparent white.. I could barely see what was behind the white. Like.. cloudy kind of white with grayish horizontal lines.. barely noticeable.

Weird thing: I did not have to do a restart.. this whitish screen started very very slowly.. fading.. disappearing and screen colours were slooowly returning back to normal.. like really slowly. Of course I did another restart and reset gpu overclock (I think before I restarted but maybe after.. not sure don't remember) to stock in fear it was because of that. And whitish screen was still there after boot but at the same point it was before I restart. So basically it kept fading/disappearing at its rate. In total since it appeared.. it probably took 3-4 minutes for it to completely disappear and everything to return visually normal.

After that happened, it never happened again.

So any ideas what that was? Unfortunately I don't have a picture.. and that is why I tried to describe it well because it was something really weird and that I don't see anywhere on the internet.

Before you guys tell me that it's perhaps the gpu or my monitor.. or windows itself.. I have one question: Is there any possibility the display port cable that was supplied with my monitor is really low quality and perhaps that's what caused the problem? I ask because there is.. well.. I don't know if it is an issue but it happens and it bothers me. Sometimes, if I turn my monitor on like a lot earlier before I turn my pc on.. like 20 seconds is what I mean by much, or the opposite.. much later and not around the same time, there is a high chance the monitor will stay searching for signal and not finding the.. well you know.. not displaying windows 10. And I turn it off, turn the pc off as well cause once that happens just turning off and then on again the monitor it won't find the signal.. and do it all again. And it works. One more thing is that, it takes long for it to find signal even when it does. For example say the monitor is turned on already. If I turn my pc on.. display will connect when perhaps win10 have reached lock screen or if not that much surely I always miss the motherboard logo and it connects right before lock screen appears. So yes it feels slow. Is that normal?

Some help would be greatly appreciated!!

Sorry for the long post but it had to make sense..

A new cable is cheap and easy to test.

I'd also try DDU and do a clean driver install to rule that out.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

3 minutes ago, RAS_3885 said:

A new cable is cheap and easy to test.

I'd also try DDU and do a clean driver install to rule that out.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

I did use ddu. It is clean installed too. In general.. my pc is as clean and perfectly performing as can be. And empty in sotarge as well. Had done fresh win 10 install like 7 days before that happened as well.

Well.. I mean if I do end up buying a cable.. heck I don't wanna buy a cheap one.. I want a quality one so I would pay 20 or 25 for it..

When you boot into the BIOS are the colors showing correctly right away?

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

9 minutes ago, RAS_3885 said:

Like I said this only happened once and lasted 3-4 minutes about a month ago. I know took me long enough.. it was bothering me and I thought id reach for help maybe someone knows.

So basically when this happened I did not go into Bios Menu. I see.. so if I had done that we would know if it was GPU or not cause Bios menu does not use gpu right? I wish I had thought about it back then.. would have checked immediately.

Oh, it wasn't clear from your post this was a one and done issue.

No idea in that case. If it isn't currently happening I wouldn't worry about it.

22 minutes ago, RAS_3885 said:

I didn't ask the simplest question yet: Can a GPU that is overclocked perhaps a bit much do something like that? That almost full whitish screen that is slightly transparent so I can barely read stuff behind it.. but within 3-5 minutes it slowly disappears at a slow and steady rate, even after oc is reset to stock?

Or can a malfunctioning display cable do that? Not gonna ask for the monitor itself yet..

2 minutes ago, RAS_3885 said:

Oh, it wasn't clear from your post this was a one and done issue.

No idea in that case. If it isn't currently happening I wouldn't worry about it.

Yes sorry my bad. It only happened once. Never again.

I see.. well I don't really worry about it.. but.. it bothers me that I don't know what it was.. I would like to know then I can prevent that from happening in the future. 

In case someone might doubt if what I say is true and if I remember correctly.. I do. As you can understand I shat my pants when this happened. The only thing I might not remember correctly is wether it disappeared at that slow steady rate within 2 minutes or within 3-5. Pretty sure though it was a bit more that 2 because it was really slow. 

The fact that it slowly dissipated makes me suspect that it was something to do with your display. GPUs aren't very prone to such analog-ish failures, they'll usually quickly glitch out or outright fail, not output weird colors that gradually return to normal.

Absolute shot in the dark, but maybe a capacitor in your monitor somewhere in the chain delivering power to the pixels got overcharged and caused the pixels to turn white, then as it discharged they returned to normal. Maybe it could have been caused by a particularly quick restart not giving the monitor time to do everything it needed to do to shut down. Really I have no clue, but if it doesn't reoccur there's nothing to worry about.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

5 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

The fact that it slowly dissipated makes me suspect that it was something to do with your display. GPUs aren't very prone to such analog-ish failures, they'll usually quickly glitch out or outright fail, not output weird colors that gradually return to normal.

Absolute shot in the dark, but maybe a capacitor in your monitor somewhere in the chain delivering power to the pixels got overcharged and caused the pixels to turn white, then as it discharged they returned to normal. Maybe it could have been caused by a particularly quick restart not giving the monitor time to do everything it needed to do to shut down. Really I have no clue, but if it doesn't reoccur there's nothing to worry about.

To be honest.. I don't know why.. or maybe it's because I did reset oc to stock right after it happened and it didn't affect anything.. also I thought of the oc as safe, but I also suspect the monitor. I did not think that it was though due to the quick back to back restarts which was basically the case. I was suspecting the cable. I see.. so it could perhaps be something like that..