The Galaxy Note Is Back, Kinda?

ThePointblank

Leaked early renders of Samsung's future Galaxy S22 Ultra smart phone is revealing that Samsung might intend on bringing back the Galaxy Note as a concept, just not in name as the renders show the phone with the distinctive oval for Samsung's S-Pen:

From Ars Technica:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/09/galaxy-s22-ultra-renders-show-integrated-s-pen-galaxy-note-style-design/

It's never too early to start talking about new Samsung phones, is it? OnLeaks has a series of renders out for the Galaxy S22. These are usually based on CAD renders given to case manufacturers, and while they might get some of the smaller details wrong, the cutouts, camera block, and other major features should be correct.

First up is a Galaxy S22 Ultra render, and here's a shocker: it has an S-Pen! Samsung killed the Note line this year to focus on foldable phones, but it apparently still can't let the idea of phone handwriting go. Samsung has shipped pen accessories for the S21 Ultra and Galaxy Z Fold 3, but those required some kind of case for storage. This render shows the S22 Ultra with the telltale oval along the bottom edge, just like an old Note phone. Push it in and the pen will pop out.

The upside to an integrated S- Pen is that if you want to do handwriting on your phone, you'll always have the pen with you. The downside is that the S22 Ultra battery will be smaller than it could be, because a lot of space is taken up by the pen holder. It's also a huge bummer for anyone who wants a premium Samsung phone but has no interest in handwriting because they'll have to put up with the pen sucking up battery space. You don't get a choice.

Designing around the S-Pen holder means the S22 Ultra generally has a Galaxy Note 20-style design. There's a flat top and bottom edge, and the tall corners make the phone a full rectangle, giving the S-Pen a bit more space to be stored. The front screen is a full rectangle, too, with only minimally rounded corners. The phone still has a hole-punch camera, instead of the under-display selfie cameras that Samsung packed into the Galaxy Z Fold 3.

The leaked renders are here:

Spoiler

45-1440x1080.jpg

Spoiler

46-1440x1080.jpg

Spoiler

47-1440x1080.jpg

In contrast, the early renders for the S22 and S22+ reveal that they will for the most part going to be identical to the form factor and layout of the current S21 and S21+ phones.

Otherwise, Ars is reporting that Samsung intends on ditching Qualcomm for the SoC for this line up. instead of traditionally dual sourcing the SoC from Qualcomm in addition to using their own Exynos SoC's, Samsung is rumoured to be planning to to go all in on the Exynos SoC globally with the S22 series.

The upcoming Exynos SoC for the S22 will be the first phone to debut the fruits of Samsung's partnership with AMD, which was announced back in 2019. The upcoming SoC will use AMD's Radeon graphics architecture, which Samsung has licensed from AMD.

It feels like new conflicting rumors about these devices come out every day now. 

It was not long ago that the rumor was that the Exynos chip had low yields and would only be sold in a handful of countries. Now the rumor is that it will all be Exynos. 

I think only time will tell which rumors are true. 

I like the rumored design of the S22 Ultra but it makes me question, where is the periscope camera? Doesn't seem like it would fit in that P shaped camera bump. 

The note I'd love to see is a note 4 with 2021 internals

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I knew they'd do this. Kinda makes sense being how many models they offer and Ultra is the largest.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

This is nice, i like it.

Do you think they will start accepting kidneys, because with these new phones the prices are going more and more up...

Wow that looks great I love the rolled corners. Still can't give up my s9+ even though the battery is starting to get weak. I would miss my headphone jack too much and the s9 is still fast. 

I figured they would do something like this. The line between the S-Series and the Note was getting blurrier and blurrier as the years went along. 

With that said, I won't be upgrading as I got my S21 Ultra a few months ago and the standard, non-Bluetooth S-Pen works perfectly fine for it. I got a case that stores it, so I'm good.

2 hours ago, Kadzo said:

This is nice, i like it.

Do you think they will start accepting kidneys, because with these new phones the prices are going more and more up...

A kidney, no.

Liver, yes.

12 minutes ago, linkboy said:

A kidney, no.

Liver, yes.

How about half a liver?  Livers are able to do things like that.

1 minute ago, tkitch said:

How about half a liver?  Livers are able to do things like that.

Sadly no. 

It's ability to regenerate is why they want the whole thing. Can't have someone sell a physical object and then still be able to keep it.

9 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I like the rumored design of the S22 Ultra but it makes me question, where is the periscope camera? Doesn't seem like it would fit in that P shaped camera bump. 

The square one at the bottom is the periscope. You can see from teardowns of the S21 Ultra that the insides of the periscope camera already extend beyond the confines of the camera bump as they aren't particularly tall and don't need the extra height as much as the other cameras. I think the larger camera bump for the S21 Ultra was more about aesthetics and uniformity of design across the S21 product line than increased space. A P-shaped camera bump wouldn't have fitted that design very well imo.

CPU: i7 4790k, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

On 9/28/2021 at 12:48 AM, suicidalfranco said:

The note I'd love to see is a note 4 with 2021 internals

This! A proper headphone jack, removable battery, and undamaged oled screen would be amazing with modern internals and I wish I had the resources to easily source custom made parts to build such a phone. At the moment it seems like my next phone will be built from various hobby grade electronics like a raspberry pi that I'll have to remove a bunch of connectors on so it'd be thinner, screen that almost certainly won't be my ideal size, battery that won't use the available space well, etc. but at least it won't have a ruined display or missing key features like an audio jack or basic repairability 😂.

On 9/27/2021 at 11:09 PM, ThePointblank said:

Leaked early renders of Samsung's future Galaxy S22 Ultra smart phone is revealing that Samsung might intend on bringing back the Galaxy Note as a concept, just not in name as the renders show the phone with the distinctive oval for Samsung's S-Pen:

From Ars Technica:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/09/galaxy-s22-ultra-renders-show-integrated-s-pen-galaxy-note-style-design/

The leaked renders are here:

Reveal hidden contents

45-1440x1080.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

46-1440x1080.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

47-1440x1080.jpg

In contrast, the early renders for the S22 and S22+ reveal that they will for the most part going to be identical to the form factor and layout of the current S21 and S21+ phones.

Otherwise, Ars is reporting that Samsung intends on ditching Qualcomm for the SoC for this line up. instead of traditionally dual sourcing the SoC from Qualcomm in addition to using their own Exynos SoC's, Samsung is rumoured to be planning to to go all in on the Exynos SoC globally with the S22 series.

The upcoming Exynos SoC for the S22 will be the first phone to debut the fruits of Samsung's partnership with AMD, which was announced back in 2019. The upcoming SoC will use AMD's Radeon graphics architecture, which Samsung has licensed from AMD.

There's actually also rumors that the S22 will be a regular and Pro version, and that this is actually a new Note device. Which makes sense. You don't want to just abandon a nomenclature that you've grown over the past decade or so. 

If this turns out to be true it'll likely be my device for next year. Unless Google shows a very tight compatibility with the Samsung watch (or releases their own with the same stuff). 

On 9/28/2021 at 5:00 AM, Kadzo said:

This is nice, i like it.

Not necessarily. Apple hasn't raised their prices in years. This will likely be right in line with other Note devices of the past. 

On 9/28/2021 at 7:27 AM, SlidewaysZ said:

Wow that looks great I love the rolled corners. Still can't give up my s9+ even though the battery is starting to get weak. I would miss my headphone jack too much and the s9 is still fast. 

You can get better sound quality by adding a USB C DAC/amp anyway 🤷🏻‍♂️

On 9/28/2021 at 8:33 AM, tim0901 said:

The square one at the bottom is the periscope. You can see from teardowns of the S21 Ultra that the insides of the periscope camera already extend beyond the confines of the camera bump as they aren't particularly tall and don't need the extra height as much as the other cameras. I think the larger camera bump for the S21 Ultra was more about aesthetics and uniformity of design across the S21 product line than increased space. A P-shaped camera bump wouldn't have fitted that design very well imo.

I think they increased the thickness of the device shown to account for the Spen and hopefully a larger battery. Thus, smaller bump. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red