HP Laptop BIOS Update Failed

Chris Joseph
Go to solution Solved by Chris Joseph,

Hey guys,
I got it running again. I had to open up the laptop, remove the CMOS Battery and all the peripherals attached, which I reconnected after 5 minutes. and it booted successfully to the OS.

Could someone please explain how that worked?

BIG THANKS TO ALL OF YOU FOR YOUR HELP AND SUPPORT

Good Day!
My HP Pavilion 14 (14-ac100ne) had been facing a vague problem lately. I use Windows 10 Pro 21H1 and my laptop shutsdown without any warning at 70% or 50% battery. After which, I wouldn't be able to turn on the laptop without the AC Adapter.  When it's turned on (with the AC Adapter connected), it shows me that the battery charge is 70% or higher. Not just that, but it also stops charging somewhere around 90%. It's kind of weird because the same battery gave me about 4 hours of battery life 2 weeks prior. 

I had reached out to the HP Community Support with this issue, followed the basic troubleshooting steps they asked me to do. None of those worked. Therefore, they asked me to do a BIOS update with the file link they sent me. Unfortunately, the update had failed and now I am not able to boot to the Operating System. 
I tried following some tutorials, one of which was restoring the BIOS with a key combination (uploaded by HP themselves) and another one with a USB drive. Both didn't seem work. 
Informed this to the Community Support, but they couldn't do anything.

Is there anyway to revive my laptop?

Please help me!

If you bricked your BIOS its pretty much SOL, especially on a laptop. Its hard to Fix the BIOS chip when its bricked/corrupted.

Also Never EVER use HP support ever again. Battery Issues do NOT need a Bios update on a laptop, especially one that is having Power issues with staying on. Gotta fix that portion first before even doing bios update.

if Win+B on startup doesnt work. Your only option is to get it programmed with CH340 or another programmer.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

26 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

So the screen turns on but it doesn't boot to the os correct?

Yes that is correct. Also, please note that I cannot navigate to the BIOS. 
I used the WIN + B key combination to try and restore the BIOS 

16 minutes ago, Levent said:

if Win+B on startup doesnt work. Your only option is to get it programmed with CH340 or another programmer.

Win + B does work. But it doesn't do anything other than showing the error. "Unable to open BIOS image file"

Sorry for not mentioning this,
I got the error in the attachment when I used the USB method.

2145845279_WhatsAppImage2021-09-28at8_41.53AM(1).thumb.jpeg.160adb9433475b887a936b28b63fbf68.jpeg

37 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

If you bricked your BIOS its pretty much SOL, especially on a laptop. Its hard to Fix the BIOS chip when its bricked/corrupted.

Also Never EVER use HP support ever again. Battery Issues do NOT need a Bios update on a laptop, especially one that is having Power issues with staying on. Gotta fix that portion first before even doing bios update.

Hmm I see. 
Thanks for your reply 😀

15 minutes ago, Chris Joseph said:

Yes that is correct. Also, please note that I cannot navigate to the BIOS. 
I used the WIN + B key combination to try and restore the BIOS 

Shutdown remove USB.

When turning on the laptop try tapping f11. See if it gets you into windows recovery/troubleshooting 

18 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

Shutdown remove USB.

When turning on the laptop try tapping f11. See if it gets you into windows recovery/troubleshooting 

That's the issue. I'm not able to boot to the BIOS. 
Its indicators brighten and within 3s it turns off and again reboots and it goes on like a loop

34 minutes ago, Chris Joseph said:

Win + B does work. But it doesn't do anything other than showing the error. "Unable to open BIOS image file"

If that screen works, there might be a chance. if you have another working Windows machine nearby, can you create a recovery BIOS recovery disk? (Download the latest bios for your laptop, not the one the support gave you. That bios updater has an option to create a usb drive for recovery)

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

23 minutes ago, Levent said:

If that screen works, there might be a chance. if you have another working Windows machine nearby, can you create a recovery BIOS recovery disk? (Download the latest bios for your laptop, not the one the support gave you. That bios updater has an option to create a usb drive for recovery)

Yep. I already did that, but shows the same error

Have you tried resetting BIOS. Remove ac power. remove battery(s). Hold power button for 10 sec. Reinstall battery(s) plug in ac power. Turn on

11 hours ago, narrdarr said:

Have you tried resetting BIOS. Remove ac power. remove battery(s). Hold power button for 10 sec. Reinstall battery(s) plug in ac power. Turn on

I tried. But still, no luck

Hey guys,
I got it running again. I had to open up the laptop, remove the CMOS Battery and all the peripherals attached, which I reconnected after 5 minutes. and it booted successfully to the OS.

4 hours ago, Chris Joseph said:

Hey guys,

You cleared cmos which reset bios.