Will a gtx 1060 3gb work with an Oculus Quest 2

Zaine
Go to solution Solved by BobVonBob,

The support list is just a guarantee that it will work with cards that are supported, not that it won't work with cards that aren't. It'll be fine for most VR games, but I'd expect it will have some frame rate issues with intense scenes or graphically intensive games.

My friend has an Oculus Quest 2, and he is going to bring it over to my house because he doesn't have a PC, so he can play Phasmophobia in VR. The oculus page says that a gtx 1060 3b is not supported, but I saw a few reddit posts of people asking the same question and they said it works, just poorly. 

My other specs are fine for the quest 2, I have an i7 4790k and 16gb ram.

The games we play are pretty much all free games (superhot vr, gorilla tag, gorn), though he may have bought some other ones as well.

I'm thinking that if the default quest 2 specs can run it, mine can (probably) run it. 

What will happen if I try connecting the quest 2 to my PC? Will the software not let me use it? Or will it bug out the games/home?

Also, I'm using windows 10, so maybe that mixed reality portal app can do something?

Just now, Shimejii said:

I would not use a 1060 3 gb for VR

why not? would it still work?

The support list is just a guarantee that it will work with cards that are supported, not that it won't work with cards that aren't. It'll be fine for most VR games, but I'd expect it will have some frame rate issues with intense scenes or graphically intensive games.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

Just now, BobVonBob said:

The support list is just a guarantee that it will work with cards that are supported, not that it won't work with cards that aren't. It'll be fine for most VR games, but I'd expect it will have some frame rate issues with intense scenes or high end games.

Thanks! How do you think it would perform compared to the default quest 2 specs?

Just now, Zaine said:

Thanks! How do you think it would perform compared to the default quest 2 specs?

As in compared to the built-in GPU on the Quest 2? It will be miles better, no question. However, it isn't as fast as developers are expecting when developing new desktop VR games. It'll run Beat Saber or VR Chat just fine, but MS Flight Sim will make you wish you didn't have eyes.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

3 minutes ago, Zaine said:

I have a 980 (non-ti) which has pretty similar preformemce to a 1060 3gb, at least according to the internet, and I can run most games on med to high settings and get 100 fps or so. That being said these are non vr games so I expect that the preformemce will be about halfed. So as long as you turn the settings down and you don't play anything super graficly intensive you should be fine, assuming you can get it to run at all.

1 minute ago, BobVonBob said:

As in compared to the built-in GPU on the Quest 2? It will be miles better, no question. However, it isn't as fast as developers are expecting when developing new desktop VR games. It'll run Beat Saber or VR Chat just fine, but MS Flight Sim will make you wish you didn't have eyes.

My friend would probably only get games he could run with the default specs since he doesnt have a PC, so i guess its still better!

1 minute ago, kucharczykt said:

I have a 980 (non-ti) which has pretty similar preformemce to a 1060 3gb, at least according to the internet, and I can run most games on med to high settings and get 100 fps or so. That being said these are non vr games so I expect that the preformemce will be about halfed. So as long as you turn the settings down and you don't play anything super graficly intensive you should be fine, assuming you can get it to run at all.

well, a 980 has 4gb vram rather than my 3, so im guessing mine will do worse...

7 minutes ago, Zaine said:

well, a 980 has 4gb vram rather than my 3, so im guessing mine will do worse...

Not necessarily, the 980 runs on an older less efficient architecture and has a significantly lower clock speed. While yes in some games the 980 will beat out the 1060 other games the 1060 will beat the 980 so it really depends on the title. But in vr I would expect the 980 to outperform the 1060 3gb because of the higher resolution.