3060ti Hotspot temperature

Krtzx
Go to solution Solved by jwwagner25,

i would put the whole PC into an immediate ice bath before the house burns down!! 

just kidding, it's probably fine..i agree with your last post, monitor for perf.issues. if none arise, you're good. 

Hello, 

I own a Palit RTX 3060 TI DUAL OC LHR 

When i game the gpu hovers somewhere between 70-77 C 

Hotspot goes between 86-90 C

Max supported tem according to Nvidia is 93 (does not mention where: core? hotspot? ) 

Should I be worried? 

Do i need to underclock/undervolt my gpu so it won't die early ? 

7 hours ago, Krtzx said:

Hello, 

I own a Palit RTX 3060 TI DUAL OC LHR 

When i game the gpu hovers somewhere between 70-77 C 

Hotspot goes between 86-90 C

Max supported tem according to Nvidia is 93 (does not mention where: core? hotspot? ) 

Should I be worried? 

Do i need to underclock/undervolt my gpu so it won't die early ? 

Max supported temp is 93C on the core before shutdown.  Hotspot temp may affect fans, but neither hotspot nor memory junction temp was even available as a temp until Martin and Wizzard (CPUZ) found the NVAPI calls to monitor it.

13C core temp delta from core to hotspot could either mean you need new thermal paste, bad or overheating VRM thermal pads (this affects the hotspot also) or could be the stock delta.  Impossible to know without seeing other results from 3060 Ti's, as the hotspot has an absolute minimum delta that will register above the core, depending on SKU.

3 hours ago, Falkentyne said:

Max supported temp is 93C on the core before shutdown.  Hotspot temp may affect fans, but neither hotspot nor memory junction temp was even available as a temp until Martin and Wizzard (CPUZ) found the NVAPI calls to monitor it.

13C core temp delta from core to hotspot could either mean you need new thermal paste, bad or overheating VRM thermal pads (this affects the hotspot also) or could be the stock delta.  Impossible to know without seeing other results from 3060 Ti's, as the hotspot has an absolute minimum delta that will register above the core, depending on SKU.

Thanks for the reply,

Based on your reply would it be safe not to do anything unless i start getting throttling in performance or a shutdown ? 🙂 

i would put the whole PC into an immediate ice bath before the house burns down!! 

just kidding, it's probably fine..i agree with your last post, monitor for perf.issues. if none arise, you're good. 

Does anyone know where the sensors are typically on GPU? I'd like to also know because I got hotspot always about 12C hotter than avg temperature. 🙂

Gaming PC

MBO: MSI B450M MORTAR MAX           CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600        CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S

GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 3060ti TUF OC 8GB,        RAM: Kingston 16GB (2 x 8GB) HyperX Fury DDR4 3200Mhz,

Storage: Samsung SSD 980 1TB  &   WD Blue 1 TB SSD

PSU: Corsair 650W RM650x (2018)       Case: Kolink Citadel Mesh Matx     Case Fans: 3x Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM 120mm

22 hours ago, Zelenia said:

Does anyone know where the sensors are typically on GPU? I'd like to also know because I got hotspot always about 12C hotter than avg temperature. 🙂

You are joking right? You mean the hotspot is hotter than average temp?  kinda like how your fingertips are always colder than your average body temp?

On 9/29/2021 at 3:38 PM, jwwagner25 said:

You are joking right? You mean the hotspot is hotter than average temp?  kinda like how your fingertips are always colder than your average body temp?

Also if a person got their head in the oven and feet in the freezer the average temperature is "fine" in the middle of the the body. 🙂 I was more curious about if the hotspot is on VRM/VRAM which is common for RTX 30 series.

Gaming PC

MBO: MSI B450M MORTAR MAX           CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600        CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S

GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 3060ti TUF OC 8GB,        RAM: Kingston 16GB (2 x 8GB) HyperX Fury DDR4 3200Mhz,

Storage: Samsung SSD 980 1TB  &   WD Blue 1 TB SSD

PSU: Corsair 650W RM650x (2018)       Case: Kolink Citadel Mesh Matx     Case Fans: 3x Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM 120mm

4 hours ago, Zelenia said:

Also if a person got their head in the oven and feet in the freezer the average temperature is "fine" in the middle of the the body. 🙂 I was more curious about if the hotspot is on VRM/VRAM which is common for RTX 30 series.

It's the core hotspot temperature so the hottest spot at one point in time on the core.

On my 3060 it was 10 C to 12 C higher than the average ...

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD