Apple, Intel, and Nvidia Suppliers Stop Production Due to China Mandated Power Shutdowns

CommanderAlex

[IMPORTANT]: DO NOT INVOLVE POLITICS AND FOCUS ONLY ON THE TECHNOLOGY SIDE. 

799985592_Chinapowerplant.thumb.jpg.76339a56e533f1e519211c1f332bb73f.jpg

Summary

China is one of the largest consumer's of energy. In the effort of reducing it's emissions and reducing price surges related to energy carriers, China has decided to temporarily shutdown power to several manufacturing centers. China plans on limiting electricity on a scheduled basis going into the future. As of 2019, 64-65% of China relied on coal-fired electrical power plants to produce the electricity. Last week, President Xi Jinping vowed at the UN General Assembly to not build a new single new coal-fired electrical power plant. 

Quotes

To control CO2 emissions, the government of China demanded that Jiangsu, Zhejiang, and Guangdong provinces (where many high-tech producers are located) cut their total energy consumption. Since it's impossible to implement new energy-saving technologies or install new energy-efficient equipment quickly, local governments in several provinces plan to cut the electricity supply to industrial customers and malls for several days each month, according to a Nikkei report.

As a result, this will reduce CO2 emissions in the area and commodities such as coal, oil, and natural gas to help energy producers maintain low prices and help stabilize their business. Since a large chunk of electronics are produced in China, this will put extra strain on the already strained electronics and semiconductor industries.

Other companies will have different ways of handling this issue, 

Furthermore, enterprises paying more taxes or smaller firms engaged in advanced, specialty, and state-of-the-art technology segments will not be affected by power outages, according to DigiTimes, citing anonymous sources with knowledge of the matter.  

Foxconn, the world's largest electronics manufacturing services (EMS) provider, did shut down its production facilities in Longhua, Guanlan, Taiyuan, and Zhengzhou as of early Monday, according to Nikkei. Foxconn is Apple's No. 1 production partner, making iPhones, iPads, MacBooks, and a myriad of other products. 

Pegatron, another major iPhone assembler, told Nikkei on Sunday night that its production facilities operated as usual. Meanwhile, the company has diesel power generators ready, and if authorities order it to halt local operations due to power constraints, it can use them. 

Some manufacturers will not be shutting down due to how their business operates, such as the manufacturing of semiconductors. As a result, TSMC and UMC semiconductor fabrication plants will continue to operate as normal. 

My thoughts

This is going to be an interesting future now with the power limits China is placing throughout these manufacturing regions. With the current semiconductor shortage, perhaps this can allow companies such as TSMC the time to produce the silicon ahead of the rest of the packaging materials they sit on. Although, I don't know if those companies are affected by the shut down too, which would result in a very messy situation moving forward with supply chains. 

Sources

Tom's Hardware

BBC News

ABC News

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Shutting down factories is a very expensive interruption. It won't surprise me if some companies move out of the region, if they expect this in the future. That comes with a lot of overhead. On the other hand we may simply see the price of chips go up even further to keep these factories profitable.

When the price of coal goes up because of outsized demand and your primary source of energy is burning coal, it's hard to keep the lights on. This is seeming like a pretty big watershed moment when it comes to China's coal reliance.

The New York Times has a piece on this as well. Worth a read.

It's entirely possible that I misinterpreted/misread your topic and/or question. This happens more often than I care to admit. Apologies in advance.

珠江 (Pearl River): CPU: Intel i7-12700K (8p4e/20t); Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming Plus Z690 WiFi; RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 @3200MHz CL16; Cooling Solution: NZXT Kraken Z53 240mm AIO, w/ 2x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fans; GPU: EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 10GB FTW3 Ultra; Storage: Samsung 980 Pro, 1TB; Samsung 970 EVO, 1TB; Crucial MX500, 2TB; PSU: Corsair RM850x; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB, Black; Display(s): Primary: ASUS ROG Swift PG279QM (1440p 27" 240 Hz); Secondary: Acer Predator XB1 XB241H bmipr (1080p 24" 144 Hz, 165 Hz OC); Case Fans: 1x Lian Li ST120 RGB Fan, 3x stock RGB fans; Capture Card: Elgato HD60 Pro

翻生 (Resurrection): CPU: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2; Motherboard: ASUS Z9PR-D12 (C602 chipset) SSI-EEB; RAM: Crucial 32GB (8x4GB) DDR3 ECC RAM; Cooling Solution: 2x Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO; GPU: ASRock Intel ARC A380 Challenger ITX; StorageCrucial MX500, 500GB; PSU: Super Flower Leadex III 750W; Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro; Expansion Card: TP-Link Archer T4E AC1200 PCIe Wi-Fi Adapter Display(s): Dell P2214HB (1080p 22" 60 Hz)

壯麗 (Glorious): Mainboard: Framework Mainboard w/ Intel Core i5-1135G7; RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 SODIMM @3200MHz CL22; eGPU: Razer Core X eGPU Enclosure w/ (between GPUs at the moment); Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1TB; Display(s): Internal Display: Framework Display; External Display: Acer (unknown model) (1080p, 21" 75 Hz)

Just now, CT854 said:

When the price of coal goes up because of outsized demand and your primary source of energy is burning coal, it's hard to keep the lights on. This is seeming like a pretty big watershed moment when it comes to China's coal reliance.

Yeah, it's going to become crazy I imagine going into the future with these power cutbacks. 

I would have read the article, but unfortunately, I am not a subscriber to The New York Times.

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

2 hours ago, CT854 said:

I though they were investing heavily into nuclear power plants which would fix this issue? Maybe they aren't operational yet? Anyways I wonder if this would make more companies try and create their own sources of power to power their businesses like some places do via solar panels or wind turbines. Honestly speaking as much as I hate increased prices for electronics I don't mind if it results in less coal being burned. 

I heard about this earlier in an anime convention vendor/artist alley thread. Sounds like its going to affect nearly everyone in one way or another.

Spoiler

Screenshot 2021-09-27 at 17-38-58  cgl - Artist Alley General - Cosplay EGL - 4chan.png

3 hours ago, CommanderAlex said:

China is one of the largest consumer's of energy.

This is technically true but I always hate the phrasing since the only reason for this is because companies from other countries outsource their manufacturing to China.

3 hours ago, thechinchinsong said:

I guess this is a good thing for the environment, but it seems like it'll impact consumer prices for a variety of products.

Fun fact: Tackling climate change and the environment was ALWAYS going to result in more expensive shit. Especially in the short term.

That said, good initiative. Hopefully this incentivizes additional manufacturing elsewhwere to offset the load and move production to cleaner sources of energy.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

1 hour ago, Brooksie359 said:

I though they were investing heavily into nuclear power plants which would fix this issue? Maybe they aren't operational yet? Anyways I wonder if this would make more companies try and create their own sources of power to power their businesses like some places do via solar panels or wind turbines. Honestly speaking as much as I hate increased prices for electronics I don't mind if it results in less coal being burned. 

They were, some of those efforts were impacted by advanced nuclear technology trade restrictions. Others just aren't ready yet. I also seem to remember China is in the middle of building an epically massive Solar farm as well.

https://www.nsenergybusiness.com/features/largest-solar-plants-china/

22 minutes ago, poochyena said:

This is technically true but I always hate the phrasing since the only reason for this is because companies from other countries outsource their manufacturing to China

And they have the most population and a huge national land area so it is a little defacto that they would use the most. It's more surprising that they don't use as much more than they currently do relative to population size compared to say the US. But lets not go down that path too much.

Also won't be too long until we get similar stories about India, well if rolling blackouts in many areas wasn't already a thing there quite often.

9 minutes ago, leadeater said:

It's more surprising that they don't use as much more than they currently do relative to population size compared to say the US.

Not really surprising since much of the country is still developing, much like India. Energy usage has more connection to average wealth than population size.

7 minutes ago, poochyena said:

Not really surprising since much of the country is still developing, much like India. Energy usage has more connection to average wealth than population size.

I know, part of the conversation track I didn't want to go down too much. It's the whole wealth thing I was alluding to, I just don't want to get in to the whole why's and how's but suffice to say in both China and India average wealth is increasing.

Edit:

P.S. Damn Iceland, slow your roll

image.thumb.png.dee127b02141661b7e05eebdfaee310c.png

25 minutes ago, leadeater said:

At least they mostly use geothermal I guess...? Helps offset their voracious power demands that come from being one of the principle aluminium refiners.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

58 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I think the picture changes a lot if you consider energy instead of electricity only per capita. I guess the European countries and Canada are only so far up due to electrical heating, usually from renewables.

Is this why my 13 Pro Max won't arrive until November 1st? 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

WEll.....

Hopefully, this shifts China's focus of energy from coal to Renewables and/or Nuclear energy sources.

That being said, Hooray for even more price increases on top of the already expensive market of 2021 /s

"A high ideal missed by a little, is far better than low ideal that is achievable, yet far less effective"

If you think I'm wrong, correct me. If I've offended you in some way tell me what it is and how I can correct it. I want to learn, and along the way one can make mistakes; Being wrong helps you learn what's right.

4 hours ago, Elisis said:

At least they mostly use geothermal I guess...? Helps offset their voracious power demands that come from being one of the principle aluminium refiners.

Correct, geothermal, electricity is cheap there.

They are actually currently looking at the possibility of building more geothermal and for example use it to make hydrogen to export. To help other places having less impact on the environment, and get some income.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Just now, Arika S said:

maybe don't have 90% of the supply chain go through one country?

B-b-b-but ma cheap slave labor 🥺

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

6 hours ago, Arika S said:

maybe don't have 90% of the supply chain go through one country?

it's better to have manufacturing byproducts to be dumped in one location than having it spread

keeps other countries clean

im half serious

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Pollutants and waste is an outsourced product, just like any other.

Maybe China is looking ahead and has decided it doesn't like what it sees. Maybe China is going to weigh the benefits of a manufactured product against the waste it generates  I imagine toys will have a particularly skewed weight factor.That's a consideration that those who outsource their waste don't have to make.

I laugh at them, they put tariffs on Aussie coal,  caused it to sit in ports on ships and reduced imports by almost 82% at one stage.  In their efforts to punish Australia they shot themselves in the foot.   Hope it hurts like fuck for them.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-17/australian-trade-tension-sanctions-china-growing-commodities/12984218

They can't blame anyone else but themselves for this.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

8 hours ago, Mihle said:

Correct, geothermal, electricity is cheap there.

They are actually currently looking at the possibility of building more geothermal and for example use it to make hydrogen to export. To help other places having less impact on the environment, and get some income.

This is one of the few situations where "excess" electricity being generated is even possible. However nobody really knows how long a geothermal well lasts, with estimates being 30 years. Compare that to Hydroelectric dams which are basically infinite as long as it sits in a geographically stable environment and the turbines are maintained.