Are new iPhones region designated/locked? I want to buy from the US, but use it in the Philippines

Been wondering of buying an iPhone (probably 12 or 13) from the US and if it would work in the Philippines as I have someone who would be traveling from there to here in the Philippines. Question is, do they have any region locking in placed? Iirc, there are usually restrictions to stop (such as people like me) from cheating in getting lower prices from other regions.

As to why, the thing is that iPhones are far more expensive here. About 10%-20% more usually. An example, buying an iPhone 12 64GB (unlocked and sim-free) would cost 729 USD in the US, but in the Philippines its 879 USD (44,990 PHP). That's straight 150 USD extra gone. Its quite a lot once you consider the lower living costs here compared to 1st world countries. (Tho, I guess there is that note u get 5% off if u play straight out cash, but that's very heavy to tank. Tho you get warranty i guess....) but I just want to consider my options.

Specs: [CPU: Intel i5-4570(Clock to 3.6Ghz)] [GPU: Dual-X R9 270x 2GB] [RAM: x1 HyperX Blu 8GB 1600] [OS: Win8.1]

it might use different bands depending on region (depends on the 4g/5g modems they install), also a lot of phones in the US are carrier locked. I don't know a lot about it so I can't help you further unfortunately, I do know that you can't just import a phone from the US and expect it to work where you live. 

She/Her

12 hours ago, freexavier said:

As to why, the thing is that iPhones are far more expensive here. About 10%-20% more usually. An example, buying an iPhone 12 64GB (unlocked and sim-free) would cost 729 USD in the US, but in the Philippines its 879 USD (44,990 PHP). That's straight 150 USD extra gone. Its quite a lot once you consider the lower living costs here compared to 1st world countries. (Tho, I guess there is that note u get 5% off if u play straight out cash, but that's very heavy to tank. Tho you get warranty i guess....) but I just want to consider my options.

Here is your problem. You bring that phone to your border and you're going to be on the hook for import taxes and any other taxes the government collects. Also your $729 figure is not correct. Many states or cities for that matter in the US have a sales tax. Here in Michigan we pay 6%. But in some states is a hell of a lot more. 

So basically your friend traveling in the US will have to pay sales tax. Then they will most likely have to pay some tax when they return. So your on the hook for even more taxes. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 9/27/2021 at 6:29 AM, freexavier said:

Been wondering of buying an iPhone (probably 12 or 13) from the US and if it would work in the Philippines as I have someone who would be traveling from there to here in the Philippines. Question is, do they have any region locking in placed? Iirc, there are usually restrictions to stop (such as people like me) from cheating in getting lower prices from other regions.

What Donut said. Whatever savings you think you're getting might be lost in taxes and (if your friend gets stopped at customs) duty fees. What you think you're saving could be wiped out by the costs of bringing the phone home. Does the Philippines include sales taxes in prices? The US doesn't.

Unlocked phones shouldn't be region-limited, but check to make sure the US iPhone supports the same LTE bands (and 5G if it's supported) your carrier uses. It probably does, but it's not guaranteed.