Want to upgrade my rig. Help deciding on good options.

Iodailis

Budget (including currency): $1,500

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for:

- Halo Infinite

- Final Fantasy 14

- League of Legends

- Age of Empires 4

- Forza 5

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Current Rig:

- z170p

- Intel i7 6700k

- Rtx 2080

- 16 gb ram 2400hz

- 256 gb nvme ssd

- 1tb hdd

Lately I've been feeling that loading times are too long. I'd like to bring them down and bring up the overall performance so I've been thinking of upgrading the motherboard, CPU ram and storage. I want to be able to play the games listed above at as close to 120 fps as possible. I also want the components to be future proof for the new Dragon Age and Elder Scrolls games when they come out 2 - 4 years from now. (Not sure if that's realistic, also I'd be up upgrading the graphics card then) I'd like to do the upgrade some time before the first quarter of 2022.

I know that Intel is coming out with their 12th Gen CPU that have support for 5000hz ram. Haven't read up on it really but would the 12700k and compatible 5000mhz ram with and upgraded motherboard be something I should look out for or would that be overkill?

For the storage I was looking into getting a Samsung 980 pro or a sabeant rocket 4 plus seeing as they have high speeds. I know there is a difference between random and sequential read/write speeds but I'm not sure what I should be looking for. Are those good options or is there something more reliable?

I'm open to any and all suggestions.

First of all, great GPU you got there, that will last you a couple of years.

I'd personally would wait either for both AMD and Intel next gen or go AMD now, as AMD is faster with current gen.

For now I'd aim at something like that:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X

RAM: 32GB of 3600MHz CL16 or CL18 Ram, 2x16GB sticks (Crucial ballistix, corsair vengeance or g.skill trident Z)

Board: X570 from Asus, Gigabyte or MSI. Don't overspend here but X570 is a bit more futureproof. I'd personally would rather opt for the B550 but for max "futureproofness", the X570 is the safe bet.

SSD: The 980 Pro, the SN850 or the rocket 4 are all great choices, just go with the one you like the most and that has the best price/performance (a heatshield is included in almost every Motherboard).

Watch your PSU, don't overload it. Also good aircooling will be enough, but you need airflow in your case.

Other then that, you're good!

What resolution are you playing at? If 1080p no need to upgrade gpu now. 1440p you could but I'd will til next year with new gpus. 4k if you want to hit 120fps you probably want to upgrade
As for cpu, yes 12th gen is said to support ddr5. The speculated date is November for 12th gen. There have been some performance leaks that look very promising, so waiting isn't a bad idea. As for ssd you could go for a gen4 drive but don't expect loading times to be much faster than a sata ssd. You can get a 1tb mx500 (sata) right now for $80. Gen3 nvme ssds can go on sale for less than $100 for 1tb so that wouldn't be bad to wait for either. 
(You will need to upgrade to fully utilize gen4 ssd speeds) 

Honestly just wait. New stuff is around the corner so either you get the new things or cheaper older stuff.

Either way part from the older cpu I see nothing wrong with this system at all. Are your games on the ssd? If not put them on there or buy a big ssd right now. That will make the biggest difference for you.

For the online games loading times are basically dependant on the person with the slowest computer.

8 hours ago, Fungal said:

What resolution are you playing at? If 1080p no need to upgrade gpu now. 1440p you could but I'd will til next year with new gpus. 4k if you want to hit 120fps you probably want to upgrade
As for cpu, yes 12th gen is said to support ddr5. The speculated date is November for 12th gen. There have been some performance leaks that look very promising, so waiting isn't a bad idea. As for ssd you could go for a gen4 drive but don't expect loading times to be much faster than a sata ssd. You can get a 1tb mx500 (sata) right now for $80. Gen3 nvme ssds can go on sale for less than $100 for 1tb so that wouldn't be bad to wait for either. 
(You will need to upgrade to fully utilize gen4 ssd speeds) 

I'm playing on a 1440p monitor.

1. Are the SSDs I mentioned above overkill? Or are they good to future proof the storage system a few years? I'd be thinking of getting a 2tb one.

2. Is there a date for when actual information on 12th Gen is supposed to be released?

8 hours ago, jaslion said:

Honestly just wait. New stuff is around the corner so either you get the new things or cheaper older stuff.

Either way part from the older cpu I see nothing wrong with this system at all. Are your games on the ssd? If not put them on there or buy a big ssd right now. That will make the biggest difference for you.

For the online games loading times are basically dependant on the person with the slowest computer.

I can't really fit much on the SSD so I'll be upgrading it. Are any of the ones I mentioned above recommended? Are they overkill. I'm looking to future proof the storage a few years with this upgrade so speeds are important for that purpose.

You're current system doesn't look too bad as it is. I would be incline to wait for 12th gen AMD to release first and see where it stands. They are coming out this November if I remember correctly. Although, I do play ff14 as well and I find having a 8 core CPU helps out with reduced frame stutters and drops in the hub cities (Limsa, Uldah, Gridania). If you're looking for a good "future-proof" CPU, 5900X would be the most reasonable in my opinion.

27 minutes ago, Iodailis said:

1. Are the SSDs I mentioned above overkill? Or are they good to future proof the storage system a few years? I'd be thinking of getting a 2tb one.

Hard to tell. Currently gen 4 NVME has no performance different between gen 3. That could change with Windows 11 and direct storage, but it would take a while for game designers to start fully adopting the new tech. At the current price difference, I wouldn't recommend it though.

3 hours ago, Iodailis said:

I can't really fit much on the SSD so I'll be upgrading it. Are any of the ones I mentioned above recommended? Are they overkill. I'm looking to future proof the storage a few years with this upgrade so speeds are important for that purpose.

Genuinly a simple 1-2tb mx500 is plenty good. You don't need much more. You could go nvme plenty options there but no point in going with the super expensive samsung stuff and such. Plenty of good far cheaper drives too.

Currently there is literally no difference between a good sata drive and the fastest nvme drives.

2 hours ago, Jonathan Lee said:

You're current system doesn't look too bad as it is. I would be incline to wait for 12th gen AMD to release first and see where it stands. They are coming out this November if I remember correctly. Although, I do play ff14 as well and I find having a 8 core CPU helps out with reduced frame stutters and drops in the hub cities (Limsa, Uldah, Gridania). If you're looking for a good "future-proof" CPU, 5900X would be the most reasonable in my opinion.

Hard to tell. Currently gen 4 NVME has no performance different between gen 3. That could change with Windows 11 and direct storage, but it would take a while for game designers to start fully adopting the new tech. At the current price difference, I wouldn't recommend it though.

A good future proof cpu would be one bought in the future. Everything right now is end of line and op has a still quite good cpu in their system. Ff14 does not use more than 8 threads at all so that 5900x would be wasted. I doubt any game is going to go beyond 16 threads in the next 5 years because the consoles only have a max of 14 threads available for games either.