Installing new PSU on motherboard with only 6pin and cpu pins

Cypes

I have a predator 3000 620 prebuilt, with an i7 11700 and rtx3070. Old PSU is a 500watt chicony nonmodular, which had 2 4pins and a 6pin connected to motherboard, all labeled p1 p2 p3 cables, and atx 1 2 3 on the board, and the gpu with a 6+2 and 6pin connection.

New PSU is a 750w seasonic focus gold, and following it, came a standard motherboard module (24pin?) and 2x 2x4pin and 2x6+2 pcie connectors, aswell as some molex and sata modules. 

Ive tried connecting a pcei 6pin part to the 6pin motherboard, and the gpu with a 6+2pinx2 without the seperal 2pin, and a 2x4pin to the cpu. 

Didnt boot. Ive also tried using different exits on the PSU (4 8pin exits total, in case if whatever), didnt work either.

Ive even tried using the 24pin on the psu tester aswell, in case it didnt want to boot with "no motherboard".

Old psu still boots the pc, so i havnt fried or scratched anything.

Psu testkit worked fine.

Im clueless. Help pls.

The predator has a proprietary PSU connector from the sounds of it, meaning you're gonna have to make an adapter using a multimeter to see what wires go to what connectors on the motherboard. Usually it's not worth upgrading the PSU in these prebuilts because making that adapter can be a real hassle. If the 500w works, just use it. 

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

The predator has a proprietary PSU connector from the sounds of it, meaning you're gonna have to make an adapter using a multimeter to see what wires go to what connectors on the motherboard. Usually it's not worth upgrading the PSU in these prebuilts because making that adapter can be a real hassle. If the 500w works, just use it. 

Old psu is making static discharge noises even when off, besides the fact that the 500w for an rtx3070 is pulling a full sized campingwagon on a trabant, as ive been told.

Ive no idea how to do any adapting.. 

There may be adaptors you can buy.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Take pictures of the motherboard connectors and post them here, maybe one of us can figure out what purpose the pins have

Or, get a multimeter and measure the voltages on that 6 pin connector. 

Most likely that connector has POWER_ON, POWER_GOOD / POWER_OK,  -12v  and probably 5v stand-by or 12v stand-by  - it's not a pci-e 6 pin or a cpu 8 pin connector with just 12v and ground wires.

All but 12v stand-by are present in the classic 24 pin atx connector, see  https://pinouts.ru/Power/atx_v2_pinout.shtml

There's no 12v stand-by in standard ATX power supplies, only 5v stand-by ... but a lot of these systems use 12v stand-by instead for higher efficiency.  So your adapter cable would need to include a dc-dc converter that boosts 5v to 12v.

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

There may be adaptors you can buy.

Yea but not to sound bitchy, but thats not helping someone who has no idea what to look for :c

19 minutes ago, Cypes said:

I have a predator 3000 620 prebuilt, with an i7 11700 and rtx3070. Old PSU is a 500watt chicony nonmodular, which had 2 4pins and a 6pin connected to motherboard, all labeled p1 p2 p3 cables, and atx 1 2 3 on the board, and the gpu with a 6+2 and 6pin connection.

New PSU is a 750w seasonic focus gold, and following it, came a standard motherboard module (24pin?) and 2x 2x4pin and 2x6+2 pcie connectors, aswell as some molex and sata modules. 

Ive tried connecting a pcei 6pin part to the 6pin motherboard, and the gpu with a 6+2pinx2 without the seperal 2pin, and a 2x4pin to the cpu. 

Didnt boot. Ive also tried using different exits on the PSU (4 8pin exits total, in case if whatever), didnt work either.

Ive even tried using the 24pin on the psu tester aswell, in case it didnt want to boot with "no motherboard".

Old psu still boots the pc, so i havnt fried or scratched anything.

Psu testkit worked fine.

Im clueless. Help pls.

You have a 3070 in this PC, meaning it's less than a year old. If your old PSU is making bad noises you should take the PC back to the manufacturer and request an in-warranty replacement.

At that point, if you still want to replace the PSU with a larger capacity one, at least the old one is safe to take measurements from to find an adaptor.

CPU: i7 4790k, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

8 minutes ago, Cypes said:

Old psu is making static discharge noises even when off, besides the fact that the 500w for an rtx3070 is pulling a full sized campingwagon on a trabant, as ive been told.

The electrical noises I can understand wanting to fix, but prebuilt manufacturers know what they're doing when they choose the PSUs they do for their systems. The get one that's on the edge of the required power output, and make sure the PSU is high enough quality to maintain staying on there. It's not as bad as you might think. 

9 minutes ago, tim0901 said:

You have a 3070 in this PC, meaning it's less than a year old. If your old PSU is making bad noises you should take it to the manufacturer and request an in-warranty replacement.

At that point, if you still want to replace the PSU with a larger capacity one, at least the old one is safe to take measurements off.

That would be my 2nd option yes, but id assumed i could solve it whilst also making sure i had a psu that was actually fit to run my gpu

6 minutes ago, Cypes said:

id assumed i could solve it whilst also making sure i had a psu that was actually fit to run my gpu

Assuming your machine was delivered like that and you didn't upgrade the GPU then it is, the manufacturer wouldn't deliver you something with a PSU that isn't fit for the configuration since they have better things to do than dealing with lots of returned machines that don't work correctly.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

It's all proprietary. You can't replace the PSU for a standard ATX unit without replacing the motherboard and case as well.

Contact Acer for a replacement under warrenty.

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

Assuming your machine was delivered like that and you didn't upgrade the GPU then it is, the manufacturer wouldn't deliver you something with a PSU that isn't fit for the configuration since they have better things to do than dealing with lots of returned machines that don't work correctly.

r/techsupport basically told me that they do the bare minimum to survive past warrenty, displacing any longterm issues. 

I truly regret just not assuming it was a faulty psu, and not caused by overstrained psu

3 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

It's all proprietary. You can't replace the PSU for a standard ATX unit without replacing the motherboard and case as well.

Contact Acer for a replacement under warrenty.

B b but.. the new psu even clicked into place, and i had assumed a pc prebuilt would still be at standard configs, not like a console or apple.. is that really the case?

18 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Take pictures of the motherboard connectors and post them here, maybe one of us can figure out what purpose the pins have

Or, get a multimeter and measure the voltages on that 6 pin connector. 

Most likely that connector has POWER_ON, POWER_GOOD / POWER_OK,  -12v  and probably 5v stand-by or 12v stand-by  - it's not a pci-e 6 pin or a cpu 8 pin connector with just 12v and ground wires.

All but 12v stand-by are present in the classic 24 pin atx connector, see  https://pinouts.ru/Power/atx_v2_pinout.shtml

There's no 12v stand-by in standard ATX power supplies, only 5v stand-by ... but a lot of these systems use 12v stand-by instead for higher efficiency.  So your adapter cable would need to include a dc-dc converter that boosts 5v to 12v.

Pics posted but im doubting their use. 

Do i have any hope of being able to fix it myself, or having someone be able to make a fix/adapter at any worthwhile doing rate?

Yes, lots of prebuilts from the big brands use custom parts, non-standard shapes etc.

If you want upgradeability you need to specifically look for some that do use standard parts.

F@H

GPD Win 2

1 hour ago, Cypes said:

B b but.. the new psu even clicked into place, and i had assumed a pc prebuilt would still be at standard configs, not like a console or apple.. is that really the case?

There are prebuilts that use standard parts. Yours is not one of that. PSU, motherboard and case are proprietary. If you want to upgrade one of the three you need to replace all three.