3D printing a cpu heatsinks

Squwuis

Hi, so I've built a couple PCs and u was upgrading one to have a better cpu fan and reliesed how expensive (for the best ones) they were so I was wondering why they are and my first guess is that it's a huge chunk of metal and the manufacturing process which makes them so expensive so I started my own little project of making (as the title explains) making 3d printed heatsinks by using a metal and plastic mix so that I can use a 3d printer, so far it's ok and able to keep a cpu not dying but that's it, I had a couple questions. 1)what cpu (amd Ryzen) creates the most heat. 2) best thermal paste. 3) best fans 120 or 140 mm 

to answer your questions,

1.) 3900X or 5900X on AMD, 11900K on Intel

2.) Liquid metal, though MX-4 and Noctua NT-H1 are very good.

3.) Noctua A12X25

I don't know how to expect a 3D printed heatsink to work, but if you can get it to work it sounds pretty cool.

43 minutes ago, Squwuis said:

I was wondering why they are ... so expensive

30$ for a heatsink and a 120mm pwm fan is too expensive?

44 minutes ago, Squwuis said:

making 3d printed heatsinks by using a metal and plastic mix so that I can use a 3d printer, so far it's ok and able to keep a cpu not dying but that's it, I had a couple questions.

And how much energy and raw materials are you using to produce something that will be IMHO at best be as good as a the cheapest 10$ cooler (that comes with a heat sink and a fan)?
image.png.7cfe7bb9c24f0d6c45645e974218f38a.png

48 minutes ago, Squwuis said:

1)what cpu (amd Ryzen) creates the most heat. 2) best thermal paste. 3) best fans 120 or 140 mm 

1) AM4 or TR4 socket? I'm guessing you are asking for AM4: Ryzen 9 5950X / Ryzen 9 3950X 
2) Most enthusiast grade thermal pastes will break down over 80c (like Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut) or 90c (like Noctua NT-H1).... For your use-case you want something that won't become useless after a month or two, so something like Arctic MX-4 or be quiet! DC-1 because even though their thermal conductivity is lower IRL the difference is very small and they won't break down...
3) Noctua NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

5 hours ago, Biohazard777 said:

30$ for a heatsink and a 120mm pwm fan is too expensive?

And how much energy and raw materials are you using to produce something that will be IMHO at best be as good as a the cheapest 10$ cooler (that comes with a heat sink and a fan)?
image.png.7cfe7bb9c24f0d6c45645e974218f38a.png

1) AM4 or TR4 socket? I'm guessing you are asking for AM4: Ryzen 9 5950X / Ryzen 9 3950X 
2) Most enthusiast grade thermal pastes will break down over 80c (like Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut) or 90c (like Noctua NT-H1).... For your use-case you want something that won't become useless after a month or two, so something like Arctic MX-4 or be quiet! DC-1 because even though their thermal conductivity is lower IRL the difference is very small and they won't break down...
3) Noctua NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000

Thank you for suggestions, I have been comparing it to the 50 dollar ones like the cooler master and I mean expensive as in relatively, for example the material cost for one of my heatsinks is 2-5 dollars depending on size and the only reason it's so inefficient is because I'm trying to figure out how to use heat pipes effectively and the fin spacing and length and width and it takes hours per and some melt, the plan is to make a High grade heatsink equal to the ones that would cost 5 or more times my one

5 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

to answer your questions,

1.) 3900X or 5900X on AMD, 11900K on Intel

2.) Liquid metal, though MX-4 and Noctua NT-H1 are very good.

3.) Noctua A12X25

I don't know how to expect a 3D printed heatsink to work, but if you can get it to work it sounds pretty cool.

Thank you for your suggestions

5 hours ago, whispous said:

Interesting, can we see some pictures?

Sadly not currently because most of the heat sinks either melted or have some printing failure but I will try and post some later with some working ones on the forum

9 hours ago, Squwuis said:

Thank you for suggestions, I have been comparing it to the 50 dollar ones like the cooler master and I mean expensive as in relatively, for example the material cost for one of my heatsinks is 2-5 dollars depending on size and the only reason it's so inefficient is because I'm trying to figure out how to use heat pipes effectively and the fin spacing and length and width and it takes hours per and some melt, the plan is to make a High grade heatsink equal to the ones that would cost 5 or more times my one

Don't get me wrong, the idea is interesting. I personally own a 3D printer, love tinkering and prototyping stuff...
But I just can't see how a 3D printed material mixture of ABS/PE/HDPE/PLA/Nylon (whatever) and metal powder can be in the same league as pure aluminium, let alone copper in terms of thermal properties:

image.png.51e96dd157e06bea411d34046b2d46df.png
source: https://thermtest.com/thermal-resources/materials-database
This isn't my area of expertise, I just know basic physics and chemistry but IMHO unless you've got one of those specialized 3D printers that can print pure metal... the end result will be subpar.

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet